Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spardasieg said:
I know a bunch of people who will not buy it if thats true, there is your sales nintendo.
Uh, Nintendo doesn't really make a profit on its consoles (sometimes it even sells them at a loss). It makes its profit by selling licenses to make games for its consoles -- that's how they sell the consoles so cheaply.

So they're probably happy to not have hardcore pirates buying their consoles -- they don't actually get a profit off you if you don't buy games.

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
Ruri said:
spardasieg said:
I know a bunch of people who will not buy it if thats true, there is your sales nintendo.
Uh, Nintendo doesn't really make a profit on its consoles (sometimes it even sells them at a loss). It makes its profit by selling licenses to make games for its consoles -- that's how they sell the consoles so cheaply.

So they're probably happy to not have hardcore pirates buying their consoles -- they don't actually get a profit off you if you don't buy games.
Actually, Nintendo do make a profit on each console they sell. Iwata has also previously stated that they won't be selling the 3DS for less than the production cost. And they do make money for every game they sell.

Microsoft and Sony do make a loss on their console sales, however.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Samurai Goomba said:
Ruri said:
spardasieg said:

Actually, Nintendo do make a profit on each console they sell. Iwata has also previously stated that they won't be selling the 3DS for less than the production cost. And they do make money for every game they sell.

Microsoft and Sony do make a loss on their console sales, however.
I swear Sony's been making a loss on every PS3 Sold since launch, even when the slim was launched.

Microsoft's new stealthbox is making way more profit. It should have got a price drop aswell, it's cheaper to get a 2.5" sata hard drive than making a special version which they did for the original 360.

I have had my share of not giving developers money, you can't blame them
rolleyes.gif
it's like everyday twice amount of people realise what an "R4" does. So what if they stopped piracy, at least you have to give them support. The people saying I won't buy 3DS because I can't pirate on it, well get your act together and give nintendo the money it deserves.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deathmore said:
I swear Sony's been making a loss on every PS3 Sold since launch, even when the slim was launched.
they starting making profit on them about 3 months ago with the news of lower nm chips in the ps3, which lowered production costs
before that they lost $18 on every ps3 slim sold, but made some of it back on big game sales

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this reminds me of that artcle (also posted on GBAtemp) that told us that newer games would have anti cracking software in the 2010 months....

so far there was pokemon... whitch pissed a lot of people off... but that got fixed over time... and I can't really think of much else....

so really, aren't these empty threats?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
There was more than that. That was just the most obsessed over. M&L3 and Spirit Tracks had it, off the top of my head.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Tac 21 said:
this reminds me of that artcle (also posted on GBAtemp) that told us that newer games would have anti cracking software in the 2010 months....

so far there was pokemon... whitch pissed a lot of people off... but that got fixed over time... and I can't really think of much else....

so really, aren't these empty threats?
Well with pokemon you couldnt use a pokewalker, and with black and white you won't be able to do quick trades and battles. Instead you're going to have go to the union room which is a much bigger hassle.

Seriously I just think we should give nintendo money for the first 2 years and THEN, steal from them. However I don't care if it's piratable or not Im still getting and Im still buying games. I still bought Soul Silver even though I could download it.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brutal truths.

It CAN be hacked, but, will it be worth it?

The PS3's biggest barrier to hacking, is really the needed back up blank media.
Although the hardware has still laughed off attempts.

Flashcarts costing the cost of a game if that and allowing any number of games is full of win. That's the real weakness for the 3DS. Will it actually have PS3 grade complex hardware up to the challenge? Because the blank media barrier won't be a barrier.

Blueray blanks costing several dollars (if you are lucky) each makes the making of a copy almost not worth the effort. Why pay 50% of the price to get a maybe adequate copy, when you can get the real thing used (in the case of a lot of the games) for close to the same price?

And it's basically no more than that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Blueray blanks costing several dollars (if you are lucky) each makes the making of a copy almost not worth the effort.
Wasn't this the same stated problem with PS2 backups early in it's life?

Blu-ray discs may have been an arm and a leg earlier, but you can get them for $1.17 per unit from a reputable store online now. Probably by the time the next Sony console is out, the prices will drop to the point that it's as cheap as copying DVD movies (~$0.25 per unit).

BadBloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiintendogr.com
XP
Country
Greece
I doubt the barrier for PS3 is the blank BD cost. Not only they could use USB HDDs (iso loaders?), but they could still hack it for conecpt-of-proof. I don't think it's like "Hey, we can easily pirate the system, but meh, who will buy discs..."
tongue.gif

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BadBloke said:
I doubt the barrier for PS3 is the blank BD cost. Not only they could use USB HDDs (iso loaders?), but they could still hack it for conecpt-of-proof. I don't think it's like "Hey, we can easily pirate the system, but meh, who will buy discs..."
tongue.gif

Many Wii hackers buy disks as illegal back up media.I'm sure when costs are even cheaper for blue ray they would use them over USB HDDs.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I will wait for a 3DS XL.
The Lite edition will take a year, and I expect that there will be a XL within two years, or at launch.
smile.gif

(As Nintendo already made users see the works of it)

Anyhow, I would go for 3DS XL at launch. Otherwise for the 3DS at launch. No awaiting for Lite/XL before buying the thing.

BTW forget about the 'i''s already k? It's not like the DS Phat is called DS SP Phat. hehe

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kirby145 said:
As cool as the 3DS is, wouldn't you wait for the 3DS Lite? Or the 3DSi, 3DSiXL, etc..
Why wait?

The current model looks amazing, even if it is a bit large. But it's there' no guarantee that it's the final release design so it can only get better, and even smaller before April.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Adr990 said:
I will wait for a 3DS XL.
The Lite edition will take a year, and I expect that there will be a XL within two years, or at launch.
smile.gif

(As Nintendo already made users see the works of it)

Anyhow, I would go for 3DS XL at launch. Otherwise for the 3DS at launch. No awaiting for Lite/XL before buying the thing.

BTW forget about the 'i''s already k? It's not like the DS Phat is called DS SP Phat. hehe
It already is the Lite and i version.

The XL would cause problems, remember SD looks better on a small screen than a big one. Also they would have to wait until multi sweet spot 3D is cheap.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I sincerely doubt there will be a 3dsXL. Changing the size of the screen may mess with the 3D aspect, making it not-so-great and possibly more headache inducing than it already will be.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the whole thing for the DSi the camera?
This thing has multiple cameras! I doubt that there will be a 3DSi...

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Wasn't the whole thing for the DSi the camera?
This thing has multiple cameras! I doubt that there will be a 3DSi...
Ok ok guys I just mean that every time Nintendo comes out with a handheld the next one is usually always better... The first version doesn't compare. I did not meant they were going to add more cameras and make the screen bigger although they could. I mean a 3DS lite could be like a macbook air, but I just mean it's going to be better the second time around.

Gameboy- Gameboy color (way better)
Gameboy advance- gameboy sp
Ninendo DS- DS Lite
3DS- ???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...