ROM Hack 3DS Mario & Luigi file formats

Fawfulthegreat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to rip models & textures from the Japanese version of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, and these models are very inconsistent in their formatting to be opened. Some will, if I open it in a hex editor and the first thing I see is "BCH" it will open in a viewer such as SPICA or Ohana3DS. But if I open it in a hex editor and the first thing I see is "PTX" it will not, though I've gotten at least one to be somewhat readable by deleting the data in the file above BCH (in the ones starting with PTX, BCH is further down in it). But in that (unique) case, the textures (except 2 minor ones) didn't load nor can they be extracted. The rest of my attempts at the same thing have produced a corrupt file.

I'm also stumped on the .bch.z files, they seem to be compressed but I'm not sure how to uncompress them. My computer defaulted them to WinRAR but it couldn't do anything with them.

Is there any knowledge on these formats that would be helpful? I can upload samples of them if anyone would like to take a look for themselves. It seems to be the same way with the other 3DS M&L games, well at least Superstar Saga DX and Paper Jam. I can't even extract the .dats from Dream Team with the script that was made for Paper Jam and works on all the later ones. A visual example of the BCH vs PTX issue is below.

hXQV9Cm.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had one it was fun lol