Hardware 3ds Just WONT Update

MoeTech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I just found my old 3ds with cfw and tried to update it but it says update failed? (no error code) Yes ik its something about my firewall but that didnt work so any help/ suggestions on how to update it?

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I just found my old 3ds with cfw and tried to update it but it says update failed? (no error code) Yes ik its something about my firewall but that didnt work so any help/ suggestions on how to update it?
This happened to me once after recovering a downgraded and bricked 3DS. I was skeptical that this would do anything, but it worked for me, updated, then I changed the DNS back and it was fine ever since. Yours could still be a different issue. Good luck.

How to Manually Enter DNS Settings

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This had happened to me because I installed a custom sleep screen (screen that pops up when you only tap the power button). My solution was I had to revert to the official sleep screen for that firmware and only then could I update to the latest firmware without it erroring out. I dunno if that's your situation or not, but just thought I'd mention it in case it was.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MoeTech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This had happened to me because I installed a custom sleep screen (screen that pops up when you only tap the power button). My solution was I had to revert to the official sleep screen for that firmware and only then could I update to the latest firmware without it errorimg out. I dunno if that's your situation or not, but just thought I'd mention it in case it was.
thanks for mentioning it but nah it didnt install any of that

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Try to update through safe mode

Safe Mode on the 3DS
To boot into Safe Mode on the 3DS, you need to power off your device and power it back on while holding A+R+L+Up(d-pad).

If you did it correctly, you should be prompted with a system update.

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You've already tried some of the bullet points below, but I'd try the full list from scratch.

Excerpt from https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting

System update error after installing CFW
Occasionally, updates may fail to install after installing CFW. To fix this, reboot your device after each step of this section, then try updating again.
  1. Set your DNS settings to “Auto”
  2. Move closer to your WiFi router
  3. Update from Safe Mode by turning off the console, holding (Left Shoulder) + (Right Shoulder) + (D-Pad Up) + (A) on boot, and following the on-screen prompts
  4. Delete your WiFi connection, then reconnect to your WiFi again
  5. Reboot your WiFi router
  6. Connect to a different WiFi connection, like a mobile hotspot
  7. Nintendo servers may be down; Try again later
  8. If you still get an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try again
  9. For support (in English), join Nintendo Homebrew on Discord

Link to CTRTransfer page if needed: https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.