3DS Homebrew news?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Matt Jones, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Matt Jones
    OP

Matt Jones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Hey,

I've been out of the loop for awhile due to college so I was wondering if someone could fill me in. Last I checked in on the 3ds hacking forum RXtools was out. I currently have that installed however from what i've heard the site to access it is down.

Is there anything new or better than RXTools that is out right now? And what is the current status of hacking and homebrew on the 3ds what state is it at currently?

Thanks so much!
    AMatt

2. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
  3. Mattshark

Mattshark GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    Since then, CFW has pretty much exploded, now rxTools is actually almost obsolete :P
    AL9H is a new thing, which is basically the same as emuNAND as far as I know but easier to fix bricks, making sysNAND safe to hack now.

Downgrading to 9.2 is now a thing, as well as all the way to 4.5, and this can be done from any version, including the latest as of now.

Heck, you can even download and install ANY APPLICATION FROM THE ESHOP without even having access to a computer (CIAngel).

The community's really grown a lot.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hacking Smash Bros is really easy now with SaltySD/Sm4shCommand, if you're interested in that.

There's a lot of cheat plugins for games now that can be run directly on the 3ds with In-Game GUIs and Everything (ntrCFW).

Mario Kart 7 Course Hacking is a thing, and even works in Download Play with those that don't have the hacks (CTGP-7).

Just a couple of extra things I also want to mention :)

Ryccardo likes this.
  4. Ann0ying

Ann0ying GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2016
    NtDH! GA!
    A9LH is a thing. Basically it's a bootloader entry point, so you just coldboot SysNAND with cfw. And you'll be able to fix almost any brick situation if you'll screw up.
    Also Luma3DS is best CFW rn (IMO). Developed by magnificent Aurora, and getting a weekly stable updates with new stuff.

Last edited by Ann0ying, Apr 28, 2016
    BabyBichu likes this.
  5. BabyBichu

BabyBichu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2016
    United States
    I agree with #2 & #4.Yep,Plailect's guide is really an epic thing.Also,to keep up with the trend,just follow Plailect's guide!

Ericjwg likes this.
  6. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    b da chu xian le:ph34r:

BabyBichu likes this.
  7. BabyBichu

BabyBichu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2016
    United States
    It seems that u've stayed here for much longer.
    Suo yi ni zui da.Sou xiao di yi bai:D

8. democracy

democracy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    Where are those chest plugins you speak of?

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Some additions/corrections

Ghost Liberator and CrispyYoshi like this.
  10. Matt Jones
    OP

Matt Jones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Do you have a link to a setup tutorial on AL9H for old 3ds? Also does it matter at all that I have the RXtools stuff installed on it still? Thanks!

Last edited by Matt Jones, May 11, 2016
  11. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
  12. Matt Jones
    OP

Matt Jones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Alright cool, but my question still stands, does it matter that I have the things for RXtools installed still? Will I need to remove that stuff that was installed onto my 3ds from my system?

13. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    As an old MSET user, I was pretty blown away when I finally got around the installing A9LH. I highly suggest it. Follow the OTP guide and make you you are awake and paying attention. The rizon chatroom helped me out a ton.

daxtsu likes this.
  14. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    No it doesn't matter. You'll actually need the slot key that rxtools uses. It will not matter because you will be using a arm9loaderhax.bin file to boot a9lh. It will completely ignore your other CFW loader since it's not a a9lhax.bin file. Also, it's best to use CFW sysnand once you have a9lh set up. Then you have no need for emunand at all.

15. Matt Jones
    OP

Matt Jones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Alright so I'm still fairly so I have two basic concepts if you could answer them for me though. What is sysnand and what is emunand can you tell me the difference. I have an extremely elementary grasp on them I could use a bit more of a detailed explanation. Thanks!

16. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    NAND refers to the chip your 3DS has, which stores important data, including the operating system itself.
    SysNAND refers to the NAND which is internal to your System itself. The only way you can write to this NAND if it bricks is either through A9LH or a hardmod.

Because of the dangers of being unable to write to SysNand, we used to (before A9LH) Emulate our NAND on the SD card, which we called "EmuNAND". You probably already use it for RxTools, and you might also recall formatting SysNand to "unlink" them.

There's also a thing called RedNand (Re-Directed Nand), which basically functions like EmuNand except is a bit more optimal and saves a fairly large portion of space (100gb to 1gb, something like that. Depends on if your 3ds is O3DS or N3DS). The guide keeps referring to "RedNand" but you can pretend as if it said "EmuNand" the entire way through and you'll be fine. (Again, this is assuming your SD already reads as "GATEWAYNAND" or "EMUNAND9SD".)

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, May 11, 2016
  17. Matt Jones
    OP

Matt Jones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Ah I see thank you so much! I only have one final question and it has to do with the OTP guide it says:
    1. Make sure your WiFi is on (it has not been disabled from the SysNAND home menu settings), you can only toggle it by pulling the battery which resets it to be on
    So I have to make sure my wifi is on. What they're saying in parentheses is that SysNAND home menu settings (which is the basic home menu settings for a 3ds right?) should be checked to make sure wifi is enabled. Also what do they mean when it can only be toggled by pulling the battery. Are they saying wifi can only be re-enabled if we pull the battery? If so that doesn't really make much sense.

Last edited by Matt Jones, May 11, 2016
    CrispyYoshi likes this.