3DS Hardware faults

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by adammay02, Apr 7, 2011.

Apr 7, 2011

3DS Hardware faults by adammay02 at 11:12 AM (2,451 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. adammay02
    OP

Newcomer adammay02 Member

United Kingdom
    I find the numerous posts of this has broke or that has broke on my 3DS starting to get annoying!
    Everyones answer is ''O well thats launch day hardware for ya''

Personally on launch day I have purchased, Playstaion 1, Gameboy colour, Gameboy Advance, GameCube, Wii, DS Phat, PSP 1000, Playstation 3 and the 3DS.
    I also own other consoles which are still in perfect working order that are either brought at a later date brand new (XBOX, PS2) or second hand (N64, SNES, NES, NeoGeo pocket colour, Gameboy, Atari 2600, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Master system 2, Mega drive 2 with Mega CD)

I have never or have yet to have any problems with any of these consoles or handhelds weather it be cosmetic, hardware related or build quality.

So fo all the people having problems you are either just plain unlucky or do not treat your hardware with TLC.

Rant over
    Macca

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    They are getting annoying but that's all they get to complain about because the 3DS is an awesome handheld. Gotta give them something to complain about.

I didn't buy mine at launch (one week later) and my 3DS feels like it could take anything, I've even dropped it once and nothing happened (SHHHH).

3. Kuschel-Drow

Member Kuschel-Drow GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    ist this only random ranting or just posing...? xD

I mean... well yeah, you just got everything, no need to count it all...

I don't have any problem with my 3DS and I bought it at release. Never had a problem with any of my consoles so far.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Well, people are probably just comparing the 3DS to the super tank-ness of the original silver fat DS. That thing was a BEAST. You could take that thing through a warzone.

5. Jan1tor

Member Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I dropped my 3DS 2 days ago from about 4 foot. Surprised my neighbor didn't hear me. But was suprised. Not a scratch, dent, or ding. Glad it is rugged enough for me.

6. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Me, my two brothers, and my friend have one. None of us have problems. But than again, I still have a mint DS phat. lol

7. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Unfortunately for me I have a dumbass little brother who breaks most my stuff. I remember he busted my PS1, PS2, NES, and SNES which pissed me off. Luckily my N64 is still in perfect working condition with one perfect working controller and one perfect working game (Goldeneye). May not apply to everyone, but for some of us we just have stupid siblings. Damn them.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  8. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    The reason why so many people are complaining about issues is because there are a lot of wide spread issues that should not have been allowed to pass QC for a $250 handheld gaming device. For $250 there should not be a single issue with it at all.

9. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dumbest complaint ever... so if it was cheaper then u wouldnt give a dam if it had problems? With your ideology a launch xbox360 should last a 100 years and nothing should ever go wrong.....

10. Spidey_BR

Member Spidey_BR GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    My camera is buggy:
    [​IMG]

It's obviously facing down, facing the keyboard/desk, but it's still showing my pc screen.
    It doesn't crash or anything. But after this freeze, if you close the app and try to use the camera again (in any app), then the 3DS will black screen you.

11. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    In over 20 years of gaming, I have never had a defective release console of any kind. I still have my release day Gamecube which works just fine. I have had stuff break on me, DS Lite hinge for instance (it got stolen a few days later not to mention I had used a PassMe on it so it had no trade in value) or my Mario Kart DS bricking because I had used a PassMe on it. I still have my original Game Boy as well, works like a charm.

12. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

Well, considering Nintendo is selling the 3DS for $150 more than base production costs, I can see his point there. The other user is entitled to his opinion just as you are. And to be fair, the black screen crashing in some games as well as defective speakers and cameras are waranted complaints.

13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

The hardware you quote doesn't have NEARLY as many points of failure as the 3DS, thus making QC for those items relatively easy.

The more complicated a system gets, the more points of failure there are. It's natural progression. Not all complaints with the 3DS are really warranted, by the Black Screens, Defective cameras, defective speakers...these are warranted complaints. Just because you didn't get a defective 3DS, it doesn't mean that people treat their hardware like crap. I'm sure you would be singing an entirely different tune if in fact you had received a defective unit.

Don't be so quick to judge, because you yourself may be in this same predicament, and some of those people that you cry to may remember your words here...

14. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Its only natural to feel a little wronged when you purchase a defective item let alone the inconvenience it can cause. Mine had a buggy d-pad that started to fail and miss inputs I would have expected that to be at the least functional for more than a few weeks my luck is pretty good and at 30+ years I'm pretty sure I know how to give a little TLC especially when I'm at an age where I have to pay for my own things. The large amount of issues is more likely down to sloppy QC and high paced production to meet demands, if it cost 50p or £50,000 I expect it to work as advertised mine squeaked like hell out of the box and its replacement didn't so I know 100% the issue was there when it left the factory and not of my own doing.
    Others posting their experiences is not a bad thing or bashing the system either, I gave mine time to wear in as others with squeaky d-pads have reported but it only got worse otherwise I would have been content with that unit its also good to report issues so that others that may think these bugs are normal or of their doing are aware and serve some small purpose unlike a pointless rant.

15. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Wasn't that the components cost only anyway? (which was guessed)

16. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    And you had to tell us this why?

Most of us have to/had to buy our own things from age 16 or younger.

17. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    because it makes my e-penis 10x larger [​IMG]

18. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    - The buttons will be better if there were the DS Phat ones.
    - Two Slide Pads. Both down and the D-Pad and buttons up.
    - Put off 3D, AR, cameras and all that shit about multimeda content. It costs money and it doesn't make better the gameplay.
    - Get the SMAPH-S and no use the PICA200. This one is more powerful and it has OpenGL ES 2.0. Nintendo, no, Miyamoto did this fail again with the Wii. Wii is a fucking awesome console, but it would be much better with a ATi X1600, it will have Shader Model 3.0 and with this is would be more easy to make ports from HD console to the Wii = More games. I don't know why Miyamoto can touch the hardware of a console if he doesn't know about hardware. He fucked up with the space of N64 cartridges and it fucked up now with the Wii/3DS GPUs. It seems like GameCube graphics are so good for him.
    - Make fun games with NES/SNES philosophy and no more shitty games as the "Super GameCube" type.

19. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Yep. Was only an estimate of the cost of parts alone. Production costs would add a significant amount to that.

20. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Same with me.

From what I remember, these are the launch consoles I've had in my house:
    1) Nintendo DS - No problems.
    2) Nintendo DSi - No problems.
    3) Nintendo 3DS - No problems.
    4) Nintendo Wii - Laser broke around a month in. Great service, and free repair.
    5) Xbox 360 - Broke numerous times. Barely played too. Terrible service.
    6) Playstation 3 60GB - No problems.

I think that's all I have had as of launch consoles...

There is a greater chance of it having problems at launch, but if the company doesn't suck, it isn't a big deal.