Not open for further replies.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
And.... Firstly, that is not a absolutely, for sure thing to happen. Secondly, if its gonna be in basic, screw it. Give me mah C/C++!
Obviously it would be NICE if he released some way of compiling the BASIC into a sort of byte code for those who don't want their stuff to be open sourced. Either way it's technically possible to convert from one language to another, just someone would have to write a conversion app to convert C(++) code into BASIC so it could be run, even if the resulting basic code were to be completely unreadable, as long as it runs, it works.

EDIT :
this costs a bit of money but proves it's possible.

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
no no im starting college for computer science soon. sorry if i caused you to misunderstand. my long term goal is to become a videogame programmer, ill worry about that stuff later but good to know thanks!:D

Try DigiPen.

I wrote a letter to Nintendo of America about my own aspirations in this area once, and its reply was pretty much the same. But what if there are some of us who want to do this and other stuff? For example, I also want to take general computer programming, advanced mathematics, theoretical physics, materials science, and industrial design courses in college besides those required for me to understand how to develop games. Do you think that I would have enough money to develop games using Nintendo's 'official' method during school, let alone afterwards if I have accumulated (shiver) debt? I don't, but I also want to practice the skills that I learn in college without having to go to a place like DigiPen, which would most likely not cater to my other interests (well, most likely the math and physics stuff.)

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
Not out of the realm of possibility. How else can they monitor which system was qualified for ambassador program or not. It may not be account based but each 3DS has an unique ID, perhaps hardware ID or similar.

Could it be through your system-wide Friend Code, which will soon (hopefully) be replaced with a system-wide Nintendo Network ID

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
In the case of the Wii (and Smash Stack), games could not receive software updates and that is why the exploits couldn't be patched. In the case of the 3DS, patches can be applied via manually downloaded updates and firmware updates, so you can bet that, if it's patchable, it will be patched.Also, since it's a save game exploit, it wouldn't be too difficult for a security expert to take a look at the modified saved game and figure out how it works. I imagine this particular exploit would be patched within a month after release.

You guys do remember that, since the ROM chips on 3DS cartridges are read-only, updates to their contents appear in the 3DS Settings app's 'Data Management -> Updates and Extra Data' section because they have to be saved to either system memory or an SD card and loaded with the cartridge's contents upon launching the game?

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
I would say one that works through USB but that's pretty damn slim considering such a thing wasn't done with the PSP.

At this point we can only speculate, but it seems pretty hopeless that we would be able to soft mod the system without some sort of exploit. All in all, we would need a game with the exploit for any soft mod in the first place, or even better. A flashcart that utilizes the exploit itself and can bypass the Nintendo protection. Sad yes, but better than no hack at all in my opinion. Perhaps someday, a soft mod will be created that could be used through the SD...though I honestly think one would need a flashcart with the exploit in some way(or a better exploit somewhere down the line)that would work in tandem with a program from the SD card.

That's as close to soft modding the 3DS will get I think.

How would one hack the 3DS through USB if the consumer version of the device doesn't have a USB-compatible port?

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
I think they were afraid to do anything bigger than the DS lite, because of how criticized they were because of the NDS Phat. It goes without saying that there are double standards among customers. "That portable is so big, I wish it was smaller" "Ow, that portable is small but lacks X, Y and Z. If they would just make a bigger version including those"

But I love my original DS! I never buy the minor console remakes; that would be pointless, right? (Okay, so I should have bought a DSi, but new consoles are expensive; I just waited for the 3DS, counting on backwards compatibility – lo and behold, it was there!)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But I love my original DS! I never buy the minor console remakes; that would be pointless, right? (Okay, so I should have bought a DSi, but new consoles are expensive; I just waited for the 3DS, counting on backwards compatibility – lo and behold, it was there!)
People say the NDS lite and DSi have better quality screen. But I noticed earlier DS games look bad in the DS lite/DSi, I suppose it is because they were designed for the NDS phat screen.

Anyway, I agree with you that just because there's a smaller or larger redesign it isn't reason enough to make you buy it (unless you don't care about spending extra money)

JamesWames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Out of all of the original DS models, the DS Lite was the best. DS games plus GBA backwards compatability for the win!

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People say the NDS lite and DSi have better quality screen. But I noticed earlier DS games look bad in the DS lite/DSi, I suppose it is because they were designed for the NDS phat screen.

That can't be right, considering the screen on the DSlite/i has the same pixel ratio and better color; the DSlite screen was also the same size as the phat.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That can't be right, considering the screen on the DSlite/i has the same pixel ratio and better color; the DSlite screen was also the same size as the phat.

I think it has more to do with the brightness. Some earlier DS games colors seem washed out in a DS lite/DSi... Probably because the DS phat screen has lower brightness, so they compensated it by using brighter colors just like they did with gba games. I never actually saw a DS Phat so don't quote me on that.

Reactions: pelago

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, most of you guys use the word hack too loosely these days. Its about having total freedom and control, not restrictions. If you know what hacking really is, then you will understand what I'm talking about. Trust me, I have done my share of hacking back in the day. You don't hack to make restrictions, you hack to break restrictions. This is why many of you so called hackers are not considered real hackers by real hackers.

So, you used to be a cracker?

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it has more to do with the brightness. Some earlier DS games colors seem washed out in a DS lite/DSi... Probably because the DS phat screen has lower brightness, so they compensated it by using brighter colors just like they did with gba games. I never actually saw a DS Phat so don't quote me on that.

You're right, the original DS's screen's only brightness level (besides 'Off,' which no longer exists,) is less bright than the lowest brightness level available on the DS Lite.

RandomDSdevel

Aspiring Pokémon Master
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
disqus.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess that's to be expected, if I had a 3DS, I would look forward to a port of Snes9x, Genplus to name a few. Maybe, just maybe, that would convince me to get a 3DS despite my visual impairment (can't see 3D effects).

Hey, I have trouble seeing them too! But then again, that's just because I have low vision and have to hold the thing really close to my face…

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I have trouble seeing them too! But then again, that's just because I have low vision and have to hold the thing really close to my face…

you do know that you can turn the 3d effects off, and the games are still good, right? unlike the wii where games used the wiimote gimmick just to use it and based games around it, the 3d on the 3ds is more of an added effect than a core game feature that is necessary to play.

kh:3d is fun regardless of if you are playing it in 3d or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: