Hacking 3DS Hack: "We hacked it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest, I really don't want this thing to be hacked. With Pokémon X and Y coming up and even Super Smash Bros which will probably feature some cool online stuff, I don't want to play against cheaters. That way the trade service won't get flooded with legendaries en shinies and I won't have to battle against people who have hacked their team to full potential. Same goes for Super Smash as I remember them saying that the 3DS version was mainly to improve your characters while on the go and exchange that on the WiiU to test your might online or against friends.

Might be a bit selfish, but I would really like some fair-play online this time.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
To be honest, I really don't want this thing to be hacked. With Pokémon X and Y coming up and even Super Smash Bros which will probably feature some cool online stuff, I don't want to play against cheaters. That way the trade service won't get flooded with legendaries en shinies and I won't have to battle against people who have hacked their team to full potential. Same goes for Super Smash as I remember them saying that the 3DS version was mainly to improve your characters while on the go and exchange that on the WiiU to test your might online or against friends.

Might be a bit selfish, but I would really like some fair-play online this time.

na you got a fair point as soon as action replay style cheat codes hit the DS its online went to shit

Reactions: gamewitch

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think that CFW will not be able to play online like the DS. One thing is certain, the hack extends the consoles life, and that is awesome because if you take DS for example, the last game that i know was released on 2012 oct 7. 8 years after the console release, yet New super Mario bros selled 18.45 million copies on a hacked console.
Sony still sells PSPs, same goes for PS2 and i bet that microsoft will still sell 360 after the release of their new console.

Twilight Loz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so when they get $2000 and decap the 3DS's CPU, what will they discover? Is it still a bit early to talk about homebrews let alone a flashcart?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

As long as online play is dictated by the client, there will be ways to cheat. Unfortunately for handhelds, that's how it's always been. When it comes to online for PC MMOs and some console games there's servers that run and check everything (and don't allow importing external progress, see D2 ladders for an example) and pretty much prevent cheating that way, but nobody feels like spending that kind of money on a service for handhelds.

Especially since, in order to not allow external progress to be imported, the entirety of play needs to be done on the server (see D2 ladders again), so either...
  1. You won't be able to play the game unless you're online, as the game servers actually hold your character info.
  2. The game has two saves, one for offline play and another for online play.
The above two options would prevent online cheating, but that'd be done by pretty much turning Pokemon into something resembling MMO (in which case they might as well go MMO with it if they're already running live services opposed to GTS storage).

I mean X and Y will have importing from earlier games like usual, right? And there's already tools for earlier games. So as long as it's not a Gen-VI pokemon... AR codes for a game itself are the most accessible way to cheat, but they're by far not the only way.

Reactions: Sephtenshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Somewhere I hope they will not allow being able to transfer through the DS.

I rather have them make 3 games (Z being the obvious third) which will have all the Pokémon available. That would mean somewhere around 300-400 Pokémon per version, with a variable only available to their respective title.

I'd like to see them prevent the use of cheating through that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

I rather have them make 3 games (Z being the obvious third) which will have all the Pokémon available. That would mean somewhere around 300-400 Pokémon per version, with a variable only available to their respective title.

The only way to prevent cheating at all (outside of bug abuse) would be to have the save files be online-only.

You do know that GTS emulation software works on legit carts, right? I can fire up my physical SoulSilver cart in my DSi, no hacks or flash carts involved, and modify the data that passes through my local network, because there's no way for the server to know if the client's being messed with with the current setup.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only way to prevent cheating at all (outside of bug abuse) would be to have the save files be online-only.

You do know that GTS emulation software works on legit carts, right? I can fire up my physical SoulSilver cart in my DSi, no hacks or flash carts involved, and modify the data that passes through my local network, because there's no way for the server to know if the client's being messed with with the current setup.
agreed . cheating is irrelevant to piracy.

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's always some way to cheat. In Halo 2 people would keep their modem next to them and click its suspend button after confirming they were the host for a game. It let them kill everybody and not disconnect.

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm gonna chime in with a dumb point:

The hacking/homebrew community so far has a spotless undefeated recored on every system Nintendo has put out.
We cant let Nintendo get away with having a system that wasn't hacked!

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Live cheats worked on DS online play because certain games had shitty netcode and synced certain game variables that shouldn't have been synced and save data wasn't checked right for legitimacy. I suspect most 3DS games like KI:U and MK7 are already using much better netcode than the ones on previous gen.

Pokemon cheaters are never really an issue, there's no difference between a cheater and a random scrub who both trained legendaries to Lvl 100 (who are both ridiculously easy to beat BTW) and the only people who can use cheats really well are the Theorymon players who all play on simulators. Proper game save checking again should prevent weird stuff from happening online, and if you don't want cheating in local play just don't play against people using cheated Pokemon.

No trading in Pokemon? No translation patches for Japan exclusive games? No amazing game mods like Brawl Minus? No portable emulators for potential systems like the N64? Selfishness is acceptable, but selfishness and ignorance is harmful to everyone.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No trading in Pokemon? No translation patches for Japan exclusive games? No amazing game mods like Brawl Minus? No portable emulators for potential systems like the N64? Selfishness is acceptable, but selfishness and ignorance is harmful to everyone.
A blade is double-edged you know, it cuts two sides. You can't just cherry pick all the cool stuff and forget about the bad. Calling me ignorant is only making you look stupid.

I'm not denying hacking the 3DS could bring awesome stuff. I'd love to see N64 emulators, region unlocking and awesome patches for games. I'm just saying it will destroy the whole aspect of online play. Cheaters will run rampant in every game leaving those who want to play fair and with their own skill useless.

So basically what you are saying is, it is okay to render online play useless for the sake of N64 emulators and so on. I simply disagree with that. Online play is a huge part in games these days. According to your logic, it's okay to pay €45,- for games where up to 33% of the game (depends of the game) experience is missing. Simply because you say it's okay to make that trade off for N64 emulators.

I'm not willing to do so, because I want to enjoy the full game like it was intended and see how I fare against the rest of the world on my own strength and skill.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A blade is double-edged you know, it cuts two sides. You can't just cherry pick all the cool stuff and forget about the bad. Calling me ignorant is only making you look stupid.

I'm not denying hacking the 3DS could bring awesome stuff. I'd love to see N64 emulators, region unlocking and awesome patches for games. I'm just saying it will destroy the whole aspect of online play. Cheaters will run rampant in every game leaving those who want to play fair and with their own skill useless.

So basically what you are saying is, it is okay to render online play useless for the sake of N64 emulators and so on. I simply disagree with that. Online play is a huge part in games these days. According to your logic, it's okay to pay €45,- for games where up to 33% of the game (depends of the game) experience is missing. Simply because you say it's okay to make that trade off for N64 emulators.

I'm not willing to do so, because I want to enjoy the full game like it was intended and see how I fare against the rest of the world on my own strength and skill.
Did you even read the rest of my post? I wasn't even arguing that cheating in online play was worth the benefits of hacking (PS, use friend codes, you can easily find hundreds online), I just explained why cheats worked online last gen and why they almost certainly won't this gen (bad netcode). I wasn't cherry picking either, I was listing the pros of releasing the hack in response to your terrible ideas for preventative measures against non-exsistant drawbacks (lol no trading in Pokemon). Read before you respond because I'm blocking you if you make another half-assed post.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The rest of your post wasn't relevant, because you found it necessary to insult me while I was just stating my opinion. With that remark, if you have some basic reading comprehension that is, you implied that people who prefer a clean online environment at the cost of a hacked 3DS, are ignorant.

Either learn how to formulate a sentence if you didn't meant that, or be prepared for a counter argument.

And please, be the badboy that blocks people online over an argument.

Kariodude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH, I think that its just a modified NDS rom played on a ds mode flashcart
It's very obviously not that. When you play DS games on the 3DS, the extra pixels on the top screen are completely off. In the picture they are just black but still on. That means it's running 3DS software.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rest of your post wasn't relevant, because you found it necessary to insult me while I was just stating my opinion. With that remark, if you have some basic reading comprehension that is, you implied that people who prefer a clean online environment at the cost of a hacked 3DS, are ignorant.

Either learn how to formulate a sentence if you didn't meant that, or be prepared for a counter argument.

And please, be the badboy that blocks people online over an argument.

If English isn't your first language I'll put it out there for the 3rd time. Netcode has improved from DS->3DS, cheats will not affect online play.
I'm done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if that was the point of game streaming
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to... +1