Status
Not open for further replies.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
A very optimized PS1 emulator may run fine,
but I don't expect it soon, maybe around a year from the exploit launch.

Now, N64 is a little bit harder,
PSP magically could run Mario 64 without sound at decent speed.
And it took a lot of time for that emulator to be released.
The 3DS is a fair bit more powerful than the PSP, so I'd hope it's possible - the Wii (from what I've read) is similar in power to the 3DS and can run an N64 emulator, so I'd hope it's possible...?

[sarcasm]Very advanced.[/sarcasm]
Off topic: GBAtemp really needs to add a sarcasm tag. Costello, take note. ;)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3D slider should be green, even if the 3D is OFF.
I think this 3DS runs in DS mode.
That's incorrect, I run my 3DS with 3D off most of the time (using parental controls) and I can confirm that the green LED is off even for 3DS mode games and applications.

[sarcasm]Very advanced.[/sarcasm]
What's with the sarcasm? The 3DS security has proven a pretty tough cookie, and even this latest discovery doesn't completely blow the system wide open. It's a userland exploit that has taken some of the most experienced developers in the hacking seen over 18 months to discover, and might not even see the light of day for quite some time, and could be fixed almost right away after release. Even then, there may be limitations such as those that accompanied the exploits on the DSi.

We already know that the 3DS uses advanced encryption and signing methods, read-only executable pages and non-executable data pages in memory. On that basis, and the basis that no man made security system―no matter how advanced―is infallible, I think an argument can still be made that the security on the 3DS is very advanced.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I want a 3DS-mode card that plays 3DS backups. ^_^

But realistically, I don't expect them to release one for about a year or so after the exploit is released.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
I want a 3DS-mode card that plays 3DS backups. ^_^

But realistically, I don't expect them to release one for about a year or so after the exploit is released.

Given the way this exploit runs, I don't even think we NEED a flashcart.

Reactions: JayRo

Ismaw34

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to make my point here.
A 3DS app does not need 3d light on.
Just play Pokemon RAdar.
Its a 3DS app, but no 3D.
The light is not needed to be on, if the app does not have 3D capabilities.
-Ismaw34

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I love you guys, seriously.
i spent a lot of time that i should be working reading this topic.
But these 10 pages of fights turned all discussion into kids fight.

To stay on topic, it would be cool if this yellow dude hacks the 3ds too. i would love to see a homebrew channel on 3ds.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If this hack or whatever it'll be actually does work, it'll be patched within a few days.
Depending on the type of exploit, it could or could not be patched quickly. Just like the Smash Stack for Wii. Patching it would require the game discs to be modified or possibly altering the code entirely. If that's the case here too, it may not be possible to modify it (wishful thinking :P).

As the hack itself isn't that much documented, we don't know how far the hack could go in terms of homebrew or backups. Having all games and homebrew on 1 SD card would be nice, but then again, if it limits the use of retail games in general due to the nature of the hack, the point becomes kinda moot.. Reason why I keep my PS3 and PSV updated :I

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can someone please explain what "userland exploit" means?
A quick Google search just reminded me that Apple sucks at security.

I am not sure about it either, but I think it means you get access with "normal user privileges" . A kernel exploit would mean you could have more control over the 3ds even modifying how the system works.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone please explain what "userland exploit" means?
A quick Google search just reminded me that Apple sucks at security.
I am not sure about it either, but I think it means you get access with "normal user privileges" . A kernel exploit would mean you could have more control over the 3ds even modifying how the system works.
That's pretty much it. A game card would not have access to system level functions or even direct hardware access, because it doesn't have those privileges, so an exploit in that game would run unsigned code with the same privileges. A permahack isn't usually possible without a kernel exploit, you've always got to run the game and the save exploit to get to homebrew. Sometimes a kernel mode exploit can be launched on top of a userland exploit, a good example of this is how twilight hack (userland exploit) was used to run the hackmii installer, which could install Bootmii/HBC via a bug in IOS (~kernel exploit).

Depending on the type of exploit, it could or could not be patched quickly. Just like the Smash Stack for Wii. Patching it would require the game discs to be modified or possibly altering the code entirely. If that's the case here too, it may not be possible to modify it (wishful thinking :P).

As the hack itself isn't that much documented, we don't know how far the hack could go in terms of homebrew or backups. Having all games and homebrew on 1 SD card would be nice, but then again, if it limits the use of retail games in general due to the nature of the hack, the point becomes kinda moot.. Reason why I keep my PS3 and PSV updated :I
In the case of the Wii (and Smash Stack), games could not receive software updates and that is why the exploits couldn't be patched. In the case of the 3DS, patches can be applied via manually downloaded updates and firmware updates, so you can bet that, if it's patchable, it will be patched.Also, since it's a save game exploit, it wouldn't be too difficult for a security expert to take a look at the modified saved game and figure out how it works. I imagine this particular exploit would be patched within a month after release.

It's unlikely we'll see this exploit released before a kernel mode exploit is found, unless a) Nintendo get lucky and find/patch it first; or b) Another, completely different userland exploit is found and there's no need to hold this one back.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👀