3DS game builder directly on the Handheld

SSplatoon3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, as i remember This has nothing to do with Splatoon 3DS 's building.

So, my question is:
Can you make a cia game directly on the 3ds?
I tryied renaming a txt file to .CIA without any changes on recognizing any game.
I tough it could make a blank game.

So, is that possible? Like a game engine on the 3DS?

• Haha
Reactions: NyxNullify

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tryied renaming a txt file to .CIA without any changes on recognizing any game.
Not sure if this is meant as a joke an I'm making a fool of myself for even replying.

How would the file name (or extension in that case) have any impact on the content? A text file is not a CIA file. The file format is described here: [3dbrew] CIA

Let me answer it that way:
I took a bunch of old cardboard boxes and a permanent marker and then wrote "High end laptop!" on each box. Why didn't this produce a bunch of expensive, working laptop computers I can sell for profit?
=====

What I can't answer – being not a developer – is if there are homebrew development tools – compiler or even an full IDE (integrated development environment) – for running directly on the 3DS. What I can say is that programming on the 3DS is not practical. The only thing I personally ever did in this regard was writing a small application visualizing a few sorting algorithms with minimalist graphics in SmileBasic. And even that became huge headache (tiny screen, no physical keyboard).
All in all SmileBasic is an officially produced 3DS application intended for programming your own games – with the BASIC interpreter pulling on nostalgic feelings… the memories of QBASIC.EXE contained in later MS-DOS versions.

So, is that possible? Like a game engine on the 3DS?
A game engine (physics, graphics, sound) is a VERY complex program of significant size.
Are you maybe thinking of some kind of game maker? A ready to use application allowing to essentially click together a game within the limits of this particular game maker?

SSplatoon3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not sure if this is meant as a joke an I'm making a fool of myself for even replying.

How would the file name (or extension in that case) have any impact on the content? A text file is not a CIA file. The file format is described here: [3dbrew] CIA

Let me answer it that way:
I took a bunch of old cardboard boxes and a permanent marker and then wrote "High end laptop!" on each box. Why didn't this produce a bunch of expensive, working laptop computers I can sell for profit?
=====

What I can't answer – being not a developer – is if there are homebrew development tools – compiler or even an full IDE (integrated development environment) – for running directly on the 3DS. What I can say is that programming on the 3DS is not practical. The only thing I personally ever did in this regard was writing a small application visualizing a few sorting algorithms with minimalist graphics in SmileBasic. And even that became huge headache (tiny screen, no physical keyboard).
All in all SmileBasic is an officially produced 3DS application intended for programming your own games – with the BASIC interpreter pulling on nostalgic feelings… the memories of QBASIC.EXE contained in later MS-DOS versions.

A game engine (physics, graphics, sound) is a VERY complex program of significant size.
Are you maybe thinking of some kind of game maker? A ready to use application allowing to essentially click together a game within the limits of this particular game maker?
Yeah i think that's helping but i still tought i could break the system by renaming it.

• Haha
Reactions: NyxNullify

porygonz2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
C, C++ and C# are compiled programming languages, you need a compiler to translate the source code into machine code readable by the machine.

Since for the processor "printf()" in a text file is nothing more than a string of characters without any other meaning, it doesn't make any sense renaming into a binary format and expect it to run, you need first to translate into machine code that the processor understands.

That would work with interpreted programming languages such as Python, PHP, JavaScript or Lua, since the code don't run directly on the machine but a program (interpreter) translates the source code on the fly into machine readable instructions. Now interpreters are compiled programs, and you still need an interpreter for the language you are writing in compiled specifically for the 3DS.

You could technically port a compiler to run in a 3DS, but that might not be easy at all, and most importantly, compiling is a very resource-intensive job, compiling a game would take a painful amount of time and the 3DS even might fry along the way.

And that's just putting aside all about the CIA format KleinesSinchen already explained.

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/introduction-to-programming-languages/

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-compiled-and-interpreted-language/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one