Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a few noob questions about GW 2.0beta because i'm a little confused

I've been searching and i haven't seen a thread with FAQ about this update. I've read a few pages of this thread but still have some questions.

1) If I want to play a 3ds game like zelda a link between worlds do I have to install 2.0 beta and update the emunand?
2) How do you update the emunand? You just update like normal by connecting to the internet in system settings while in gateway mode?
3) Has there been any reports of people correctly updating in gateway mode and it screwing up their system?
4) I read in a few posts that 7.0 is "buggy" is there a way to update to 6.2 over the internet or do you have to have a game with that version? Can you choose what version you want to update to or does nintendo make you update to the latest version everytime? Gateway says on their site only to update through system settings.
5) What is the point of backing up the NAND if there is no way to restore if you accidentally update?
6) Do you have to update the emunand over the internet every time you turn off your console or is it saved on your sd card?

Should I wait until 2.0b2 is released at this point?

Thanks in advance...
1) You don't need EmuNAND
2) connecting to theinternet in system settings while in EmuNAND
3) Yep
4) Nope, it's not possible.
5) There is a Hard Mod
6) It's saved to the SD.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all your answers here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

As for waiting, it's up to you and what you want to play.
but I'm sure you can wait 1 more day before playing newer games.

thank you, yes that answered most of my questions.

So basically if you have not updated already you can only update to version 7.0 with emunand and this version is buggy and does not work well?
So at this point there is not really a point to use emunand until the new gateway update?

Are my current saves from 1.2 compatible with 2.0b? Is it better to get 2 sd cards, one for emunand mode one for regular mode?

5) There is a Hard Mod

thanks do you have any information or links on this hard mod?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Saves are compatible between each version as long as you use ROMs/Gateway.
If you use cartridge, games bundled with 6.0+ update are using a different save encryption, and are not compatible between RealNAND6.0+ and EmuNAND6.0+

For SD card, you can keep one with 1.2 without EmuNAND, and one with 2.0b1 with EmuNAND. As 2.0b1 is not stable, you can use your 1.2 SD card for all games <SDK5.0, and use your EmuNAND SD Card for all Games > SDK5.0
Gateway should release 2.0b2 soon, maybe it will fix the saving/launching bug, in that case you won't need to use two different Launcher.dat version.

You don't need to update emuNAND to use it. Keep your EmuNAND at 4.5.0 and it will works as if you were on your RealNAND 4.5.0
You can use a single SD card, with 2.0b1+ and EmuNAND at 4.5.0, All ROMs will work.
If you want to play your new game cartridges/online, then you will have to update your EmuNAND.

The main purpose of updated EmuNAND is to allow users to play online with their new games, without updating real NAND, or if eshop is working it allows you to purchase games/updates.

The hard mod links are in the FAQ too.
Check the NAND backup/restore questions.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
At what point has GW sold IP protected material? They do not sell stolen games.

GW created their own code. R4i steals their code. Simple.

I don't see what this has to do with me. I have never sold IP protected material.
In all of this, R4i is the only one selling someone else's intellectual property (GW's code).

Get your argument straight.

The launcher.dat includes native_firm released by nintendo.
How do you think of it?
It's pointless to discuss it as they are both piracy tools.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Speak for yourself. You may do that. I play backups of games I own.

BTW -- it is distributing/selling IP protected material that is illegal (which is what R4i are doing when they copy GW's code), not downloading it.
Launcher.dat released by gw includes native_firm released by nintendo.
It's also removed from filetrip.net because of it.

How do you think of it?
Is it selling IP protected material?

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
Launcher.dat released by gw includes native_firm released by nintendo.
It's also removed from filetrip.net because of it.

How do you think of it?
Is it selling IP protected material?

When you bought your 3ds you also purchased a copy of the 3ds firmware. You own a copy of the firmware that is an integral part of the package you paid for, without which your device could not operate as advertised. In the same way that new laptop on sale at a store near you comes with an OEM copy of Windows 8 preinstalled on the hard drive.

As long as you own your 3ds, you are entitled to a back-up copy of the firmware or any part of said firmware as long as it is used solely with the 3ds you purchased.

Thus if your only intended purpose for the back up copy of the firmware found in launcher.dat is to use it on your 3ds, then you are completely within your rights of usage for said firmware; in the same way that you are entitled to using a jailbroken copy of iOS with the iPhone that you purchased. This right has been affirmed and reaffirmed by US courts over and over despite the notoriety and viciousness of lawyers from Apple, Microsoft, and Sony (to name only a few) constantly trying to strip consumers of said rights.

Now if you intended to use the firmware with something else like an emulator in a PC despite never having bought a 3ds then that would be another story.

There is no copy of launcher.dat which ships with the Gateway carts and thus they are not selling it. You are paying for the carts as is without any firmware just as someone could sell a laptop to you without a copy of Windows under the assumption that you would buy one later or already have a copy or are going to use some other OS with it.

Neither do they distribute the copy of launcher.dat for any other purpose than for use with the 3ds. As long as they only support running back up copies of games people are assumed to own a physical copy of (innocent until proven guilty) in their 3ds, then I do not see why you would instantly assume they are doing anything illegal. If their customers do break the law with the carts then that is hardly their fault just as a knife manufacturer can hardly be faulted for some of their customer deciding to use said knives to kill people they hate.

On the other hand taking someone else's software then slapping your logo on it and claiming you have programmed it yourself is flat out illegal. Just imagine the fallout that would occur if someone took iOS and put it on some hack phone and slapped on an Orange logo and called it NextOS claiming that they programmed it from scratch while when you went to settings it still said iOS 7.0.3.

Reactions: Schizoanalysis

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway's Launcher.dat contains copyrighted code from the 3ds's firmware. Again, for the gillionth time, nobody is morally superior in these warez warz.

Thanks, I didn't realize this was well known and has been repeated multiple times. My last game boy was the DS lite with an M3 real so I'm new to the 3ds thing.

In retrospect it looks like there's just a loud vocal minority... It may have to be repeated another gillionth times ;)

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When you bought your 3ds you also purchased a copy of the 3ds firmware. You own a copy of the firmware that is an integral part of the package you paid for, without which your device could not operate as advertised. In the same way that new laptop on sale at a store near you comes with an OEM copy of Windows 8 comes preinstalled on the hard drive.

As long as you own your 3ds, you are entitled to a back-up copy of the firmware or any part of said firmware as long as it is used solely with the 3ds you purchased.

Thus if your only intended purpose for the back up copy of the firmware found in launcher.dat is to use it on your 3ds, then you are completely within your rights of usage of that firmware in the same way that you are entitled to using a jailbroken copy of iOS with the iPhone that you purchased. This right has been affirmed and reaffirmed by US courts over and over despite the notoriety and viciousness of lawyers from Apple, Microsoft, and Sont (to name only a few) constantly trying to strip consumers of said rights.

Now if you intended to use the firmware with something else like an emulator in a PC despite never having bought a 3ds then that would be another story.

There is no copy of launcher.dat which ships with the Gateway carts and thus they are not selling it. You are paying for the carts as is without any firmware just as someone could sell a laptop to you without a copy of Windows under the assumption that you would buy one later or already have a copy or are going to use some other OS with it.

Neither do they distribute the copy of launcher.dat for any other purpose than for use with the 3ds. As long as they only support running back up copies of games people are assumed to own a physical copy of (innocent until proven guilty) in their 3ds, then I do not see why you would instantly assume they are doing anything illegal. If their customers do break the law with the carts then that is hardly their fault just as a knife manufacturer can hardly be faulted for some of their customer deciding to use said knives to kill people they hate.

On the other hand taking someone else's software then slapping your logo on it and claiming you have programmed it yourself is flat out illegal. Just imagine the fallout that would occur if someone took iOS and put it on some hack phone and slapped on an Orange logo and called it NextOS claiming that they programmed it from scratch while when you went to settings it still said iOS 7.0.3.

wrong-o. you don't buy a copy of the software by buying a piece of hardware that contains it, you are buying a license to use it. this license (and this is the critical point) gives you no right to redistribute it isolated from the hardware (you are free to transfer the ownership of the 3DS, not of the software or parts thereof alone).

The iOS jailbreaking thing: right. you are free to modify software on your own, even by using easy to use tools which are doing it for you. you are not allowed to redistribute the modified software.

For example look at the way ModMii works: it downloads the required components from Nintys update service (legal), modifies them (legal), builds easy to install packages(legal).

Oh, and I assume Ninty got a patent on the new 3DS cartridge design, which gateway infringes. At least that was one of their main judical arguments in the last lawsuits in munic and london (which they both won)

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but wait, is gateway allowed to distribute the software if it contains copyrighted material? since anyone can download it, even without a 3ds.

welcome to the wonderful world of international copyright law, which doesn't exist.

In most countries it's forbidden.

For example see the German copyright law, the Urheberschutzgesetz (which makes the launcher.dat illegal to distribute in Germany and also makes it illegal to circumvent any kind of copy protection scheme).

Should be unlawfull in Italy, too (EU legislation things).

Furthermore I'm quite sure that it wouldn't be covered under US fair use, thus most likely being against the DMCA.

But in some countrys (China, Brazil and Thailand come to mind) its either legal or is, despite being illegal, not enforced.

edit: gateways homepage is (at least now) hosted on http://124.217.224.101/, which resides in Malaysia, but they don't host the downloads there.
The first download link for the software (and this really surprises me) is hosted in Canada (scmods.com).

But now you know why they are offering this many links for the download, because they know those will be taken down one by one by Nintys DMCA notices or their equivalent (and as fast as that reuploaded by the gateway team). Quite like the one click hoster filesharing.

Reactions: tyons

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
wrong-o. you don't buy a copy of the software by buying a piece of hardware that contains it, you are buying a license to use it. this license (and this is the critical point) gives you no right to redistribute it isolated from the hardware (you are free to transfer the ownership of the 3DS, not of the software or parts thereof alone).

True when I was talking about ownership of a copy, I did mean a license to a single copy of said firmware. They are, however, distributing a back-up copy only to people who already own a 3ds for use with the 3ds. Which is fine. What would be an issue is if people who did not own a 3ds started to download and use it with some other device. As far as I know though, launcher.dat has no other use aside from use with a 3ds. So as of now they are not blatantly doing anything illegal.

It would probably be in the best interest of Gateway if they distributed only a patch for the firmware code instead of launcher.dat just in case another use was eventually found. This would give them solid legal grounds to stand on as only someone who already possessed a copy of the firmware could use it at all. But I guess they are banking on the assumption that nobody will ever find any use for launcher.dat other than using it with a 3ds.

Oh, and I assume Ninty got a patent on the new 3DS cartridge design, which gateway infringes. At least that was one of their main judical arguments in the last lawsuits in munic and london (which they both won)

Almost any lawyer in England will admit that their copyright laws are a total mess. Even quoting someone in a publication about what they were saying without their written consent is grounds for a copyright infringement law suite as they have no allowance for fair use.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
but wait, is gateway allowed to distribute the software if it contains copyrighted material? since anyone can download it, even without a 3ds.

If the launcher.dat can not be used by anyone other than people who already own a 3ds, it is fine. But if someone can use it in another device it is not. Distributing copies of Photoshop (without charging for it of course) without any cracks or serials, for example, is completely fine because the assumption is only someone who obtains a legal copy can use it through the use of a serial code. In the same way, you can distribute drivers for say a printer freely because the assumption is that you must already have that printer to use the drivers.

This goes for modified software or drivers as well. For instance, the Asus Xonar Sound Card line has been known for a long time to rely on rather problematic drivers. Thus it has been modified quite aggressively by some people and distributed completely legally as a unified driver package. The assumption being that only people who owned a Asus Xonar sound card could possibly use it.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a flashcard manufacturer, it's really dogmatic to make such a declaration before this card comes out.
Everybody almost knows nothing more about it except a video released by the website.
It's really shabby to slander the competitor by this way.

As they say, the proof is in the Xmas pudding.

BigGamerz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the last few hours, I've been trying to get the gateway to work when it was working earlier.

I have the gateway in the 3ds and I go to the diagnostic test and all of them fail. Does that mean that the gateway is defective?

I'm going to try the test rom just in case that is what you need to do the hardware test.

Tried it with firmware 1.2 but couldn't get the hardware diagnostic test to work. Still wouldn't read the card. Guessing I need to exchange it.

El_tiburon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
So today we get Beta 2?

Hopefully i`ve been looking forward just to see what they manage, but myself until they dont make it compatible with 6.2 can`t do anything.

Just wishing for that to come in a near future. Don`t want to end up selling my 3ds xl and buying another one just because of that.

My first post wish you all happy merry xmas!

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully i`ve been looking forward just to see what they manage, but myself until they dont make it compatible with 6.2 can`t do anything.

Just wishing for that to come in a near future. Don`t want to end up selling my 3ds xl and buying another one just because of that.

My first post wish you all happy merry xmas!
sorry to break it to you but they aren't working on 6.2 compatible atm they are prioritising emunand to work on latest (still requires 4.5 on your 3ds), multirom and pokemon/animal crossing just sell your 3ds and buy another you will lose out 20$ or so if its near new condition. thats same as buying gateway at $80 when it was released (now its around $20 cheaper)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY