3DS Flashcart help needed

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Silphex, Nov 22, 2012.

Nov 22, 2012

3DS Flashcart help needed by Silphex at 10:34 PM (18,730 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Silphex
    OP

Newcomer Silphex Violating scooters since '90

United Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

Just looking for some guidance, any help will be appreciated, so ive just bought a 3DS, i have just a DS Lite too which I have a R4 card for with wood firmware so im pretty comfortable with that. However I am unsure which cart to buy and if I can play DS games on it, im thinking of buying this flashcart http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 , my questions are these:

1) If any which firmware will I need to install on it?
    2) If i dump 3DS roms and DS roms on it will it play them both?
    3) When I put roms on it, if i dont want to put any new titles on it, will they always play ok?

Thanks in advance,
    Silphex

2. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    The best flashcarts for the 3DS are the R4i Gold 3DS and SuperCard DSTWO.

None of them will play 3DS Roms. No flashcart play 3DS roms.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get
    That's one of the recommended ones, yes.

1 - The firmware from the site printed on the cart.

2 - NOTHING PLAYS 3DS ROMS. PERIOD. READ THE STICKIES.

3 - Wood, the software used for game launching/compatibility, gets regular updates, but yes there's no self-destruct sequence of anything like that, so it will always work for older titles.

4. Silphex
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks alot guys, much appreciated, so it wont be ready to just dump roms on it, it will need firmware like R4 wood? Wood is just one universal firmware right? I can use the same version I have on my NDS Lite R4 card for example..

5. Rydian

United States
    Wood is not universal, there's different versions of it for different carts. That cart happens to use Wood, and you need to get it from the site printed on the cart.

EDIT: Also, DO NOT buy MicroSD cards from chinese/import shops. There's fakes and low-quality ones everywhere. Get your MicroSD card from a REAL, PHYSICAL store near you.

6. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Seeing how most R4's are basically dumped off within one or two updates, I just have a hard time honestly recommending anyone get one. Yes, they are cheap... but not after having to buy another for the third or fourth time. They are a simpler flashcard, sure, but that may come to also mean that they simply don't have the staying power to keep up.

DStwo seems to pretty much be the de-facto choice. Part of me still wishes that the CycloDS iEvo managed to stay in the proverbial game; however, the Cyclo team basically just gave up, giving the win to Team Supercard.

As others have said, there's nothing out there that can boot in 3DS mode, much less play 3DS roms. Yes, there has been dumps of 3DS roms out there, but that's because the dumping hardware didn't really need to change in order to handle the new generation games. Just like the dumping hardware didn't need to change to dump DSi-mode games.

7. Silphex
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks dude! So one last simple question.. If I buy that card, put 3DS wood firmware on it then put DS roms on it then it will always run fine and wont require any updating in the future?

8. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    Well it depends. Lets say a game is released and you want to play it but it needs an update. But in reality it blocks your flashcart.
    Then you would need another DS that can read your 3DS so you can run an update on it.
    But other than that, you will not need an update.
    Just don't update unless its for a game. Just make sure you know a game needs updating so when you buy it it won't be useless because you don't whant to update your 3DS

9. Rydian

United States
    The firmware won't need any updating, but you might need to update Wood every so often for new games, since new games that come out often have new anti-piracy code that Wood needs to update to fix.

EDIT: This is talking about the flash cart. If you mean updating the 3DS, the 3DS doesn't need any updates for DS games, and keep your 3DS offline so it won't try to download updates automatically.