Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If you just care about your game saves then you only need to export them with JKSM and keep the JKSM folder safe on your computer. If you care about your system data too (eg Activity Log and Mii Plaza) then keep a NAND backup.

Games can always be installed again from freeShop, so you don't have to keep a copy of your SD card contents.

Reactions: ThoD and democracy
D

Deleted-351540

If you just care about your game saves then you only need to export them with JKSM and keep the JKSM folder safe on your computer. If you care about your system data too (eg Activity Log and Mii Plaza) then keep a NAND backup.

Games can always be installed again from freeShop, so you don't have to keep a copy of your SD card contents.
I took it a step further because my 3DS doesn't get online. I'm not into multiplayer games unless it's with friends and none of my friends have a 3DS. (Damn Sony fans!)

I keep a copy of my 16Gb SD card on my MHL drive for my phone. This way, should anything happen, I can restore my 3DS using a file browser on my phone. I also keep a NAND backup on it just in case also.

Reactions: democracy

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I took it a step further because my 3DS doesn't get online. I'm not into multiplayer games unless it's with friends and none of my friends have a 3DS. (Damn Sony fans!)

I keep a copy of my 16Gb SD card on my MHL drive for my phone. This way, should anything happen, I can restore my 3DS using a file browser on my phone. I also keep a NAND backup on it just in case also.
Yes that will work but you're using up more storage space than you need to

Reactions: ThoD

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks mate. I was hoping to maintain a solution for offline backup and restore, without the use of a tool like freeshop; I thought there was a way do this, like lightly hack a nand with godmod9, to backup and inject a "seed" file (of sorts) to and from nands that is responsible for registering the content on an extSdCard; so it can be used on another 3DS for example. Is this possible?
Yes you could dump the moveable.sed if you don't want to have to keep a NAND backup too. I'm not sure how to though, you'd have to ask on the GodMode9 thread.

D

Deleted-351540

Yes that will work but you're using up more storage space than you need to
That's A-OK with me! I've been stuck in a hospital with a thrashed laptop and a semi-bricked 3DS before. I take no chances anymore. It's a 32Gb MHL drive, so I'm not too worried about space on it. I only use it for the 3DS recovery.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
That's A-OK with me! I've been stuck in a hospital with a thrashed laptop and a semi-bricked 3DS before. I take no chances anymore. It's a 32Gb MHL drive, so I'm not too worried about space on it. I only use it for the 3DS recovery.
excuse me but wth is an MHL drive? MHL is used for video mirroring afaik, it's not even usb it just uses the same connector, but it switches to a different chip inside your phone.
I'm guessing you mean OTG (on the go), which makes your phones connector act as a HOST, thus allowing you to plug in a usb memory device, card reader, keyboard, and anything usb really

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
but your backup solution doesn't seem to help in the event of lost or damaged beyond repair 3ds, was hopung to find a backup solution for that eventually as well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
That's a good point. You need to keep decrypted saves or the moveable.sed if you want to be able to use the data on another console

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Best way is to backup your 3DS NAND once a week to your SD card and backup your SD card to your computer.
Rinse and repeat weekly.

Easiest and (when it comes to recovering) quickest way.

Edit: if your 3DS is fucked then yeh, that is a problem indeed.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, a problem indeed, however, there is a way to get those backups working on another 3ds with just those backups... a guide would be terrific!

I recall something in the lines of having a all 0 movable.sed or w/e

D

Deleted-351540

excuse me but wth is an MHL drive? MHL is used for video mirroring afaik, it's not even usb it just uses the same connector, but it switches to a different chip inside your phone.
I'm guessing you mean OTG (on the go), which makes your phones connector act as a HOST, thus allowing you to plug in a usb memory device, card reader, keyboard, and anything usb really
Yes, I meant OTG. Please forgive my slightly addled mind. It sometimes gets all these damn acronyms mixed up. Also, they change the names faster than I can keep up. And I am convinced they're doing it on purpose. Damn buttholes.

Reactions: GizmoTheGreen

zaqqaz00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best way is to backup your 3DS NAND once a week to your SD card and backup your SD card to your computer.
Rinse and repeat weekly.

Easiest and (when it comes to recovering) quickest way.

Edit: if your 3DS is fucked then yeh, that is a problem indeed.

I think this is a good way also.
It has saved me a few times in the recent past

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by democracy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsfw-ds-homebrew.73091/