Hacking 3DS dev unit in the wild!

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I was offered one earlier this year, before release, for about $400-$500 as well.
It came from Hong-Kong, and was exactly the same as yours, not sure about the version and all
I didn't want it because I wouldnt know what to do with it? it doesnt do anything and I cant hack it myself (i dont do electronics)
anyway what I'm trying to say is it's not that rare, if you know the right person you can get one easily. they're not that hard to come across...

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Costello said:
I was offered one earlier this year, before release, for about $400-$500 as well.
It came from Hong-Kong, and was exactly the same as yours, not sure about the version and all
I didn't want it because I wouldnt know what to do with it? it doesnt do anything and I cant hack it myself (i dont do electronics)
anyway what I'm trying to say is it's not that rare, if you know the right person you can get one easily. they're not that hard to come across...

They are rare to get sold on public auction sites. Private sales is another matter entirely.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
Costello said:

They are rare to get sold on public auction sites. Private sales is another matter entirely.
so do you happen to have one, or know if team AK have one at disposal?

Kaleadoskope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
THEN WHAT IS THIS if we cannot play roms is no use

No console has ever had the ability to play ROMs out of the box. It may be of use if we can learn about the software, THEN maybe people can start to develop some way of using ROMs, but from what I have seen, using this Dev unit isn't going to be fruitful.
dry.gif

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kaleadoskope said:
QUOTE said:

No console has ever had the ability to play ROMs out of the box. It may be of use if we can learn about the software, THEN maybe people can start to develop some way of using ROMs, but from what I have seen, using this Dev unit isn't going to be fruitful.
dry.gif

Never had a Debug PSX ?
tongue.gif
They can read PS1 games burned on a CD-R out of the box

wiibob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kaleadoskope said:
QUOTE said:

dry.gif
My Dreamcast played burned iso's on a cd-r out of box
rolleyes.gif

Kaleadoskope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hunter291 said:
Kaleadoskope said:
QUOTE said:

dry.gif

Never had a Debug PSX ?
tongue.gif
They can read PS1 games burned on a CD-R out of the box

Ahahahahaha.
biggrin.gif

The earliest game console I played was the GBA in 2001. I only really started looking into hacking a couple of years ago. I guess you're right.
Still, we'd have to be very lucky to find that this console would play ROMs out of the box. Besides, PSX was a different era in gaming
security. The point is, this console is useful to see if we can learn more about how the 3DS ticks, and apply that knowledge to hack it.
yaynds.gif

EDIT: The PSX and the Dreamcast, they were at very different levels of security to the 3DS. I probably should have looked into it a bit more. XD

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gbaboy123 said:
Are you kidding me? First off, you thought a dev unit could play roms? Really?
Second, it's a freakin' dev unit, think of the possiblilities.

PS1's and 3DS's are completely different, same goes for ROMs and ISOs.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the best bet we have is to start a donation system for the device. Earn money, choose a trusting member of these forums to handle the money, such as Costello or Shaunj66. Then we could just find some devs willing to dive into it, maybe even some ol' ds fellows. Like Natrium42, DarkFader, Lynx, Loopy, and Costis. They all took part in the original pass me, maybe something similar could be used on the 3DS...

Kaleadoskope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thankyou, Macho.

QUOTE said:
I'd say the best bet we have is to start a donation system for the device. Earn money, choose a trusting member of these forums to handle the money, such as Costello or Shaunj66. Then we could just find some devs willing to dive into it, maybe even some ol' ds fellows. Like Natrium42, DarkFader, Lynx, Loopy, and Costis. They all took part in the original pass me, maybe something similar could be used on the 3DS...

Nah, people wouldn't trust anyone, and besides, people are making progress as it is. I say
we should just do our best to find out what we can on the progress of 3DS hacking in private
IRC channels, and post it on here. I mean, Nintendo might find out about it, but there really
isn't much they can do to an anonymous hacker, besides update the firmware, which, people
can just prevent by disabling wireless on the 3DS, unless it updates it anyway, which I
am sure it doesn't unless Nintendo wnts to get sued for crashing a plane. =D

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
I know what you mean. Especially that people cant be trusted. But ds sites, even homebrew sites have donations all the time. So I think it is possible to get the device in good hands. Plus the ds homebrew scene was so big, somebody has to be willing to try.

But yeah keeping it quiet is never a bad thing.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
updated the 1st post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170660890779

same guy, new listing, cheaper price, and set to auction instead of buy-it-now.

based on the posts above it does appear that my assumptions were correct. this unit is only half the puzzle, the special cart is required and most probably something for the pc side as well.

-another world

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Terminator02 said:
i'm been doing some "researching", i think this is interesting

apparently you need some kind of specific, oversized cartridge, there were 3ds dev units spotted at this year's GDC (Game Developer's Conference), and this picture was taken
thumb_tumblr_lhhii7UGxb1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

The one I played at an event was running an Ocarina demo without that cart, off the SD card if I recall.

I also played a dev unit at anoter event that had the firmware on it, as well as a test cart and channel(s).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds.