Not open for further replies.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Oh, Pong... I think you just answered your own question. It's a firmware, it's not the standard one, it's been modified so it's custom. :rolleyes:
CFW is normally a permanent fix as its written and can be saved over the standard and is complete
where Modified firmware is the same with more changes made but not a permanent firmware complete

like when you download a PS3 custom firmware, its a complete firmware file that replaces the existing

psp is only a patch but it is flashed to the system making a full custom firmware

when you download a gateway update its just over 1mb (no where near a full 3ds firmware)
its just patches the exploit runs on the firmware
(once we have firmware running from the SD card nand dump, thats custom as its stored elsewhere but loads it in its entirety)

Reactions: Boy12

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CFW is normally a permanent fix as its written and can be saved over the standard and is complete
where Modified firmware is the same with more changes made but not a permanent firmware complete

like when you download a PS3 custom firmware, its a complete firmware file that replaces the existing

psp is only a patch but it is flashed to the system making a full custom firmware

when you download a gateway update its just over 1mb (no where near a full 3ds firmware)
(once we have firmware running from the SD card nand dump, thats custom as its stored elsewhere but loads it in its entirety)

I have never heard it termed like that before, they are certainly distinctions you could make and would be useful to make if I were to consider altering them or using it as a jumping off point for a hack of my own but as a general term then not so much.

mr allen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But the word custom here comes from the word customize which just means that something has been modified or changed to do what you want it to do, it doesn't involve overwriting everything. All modify means is to make a small change to something in general.

Reactions: Foxi4

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
PSP Bright have CWF that exist only in RAM, but its still CWF right? And even if not, rose will smell like a rose anyhow.

robo989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP Bright have CWF that exist only in RAM, but its still CWF right? And even if not, rose will smell like a rose anyhow.

"custom firmware" is a non-technical very general term to describe modified firmware. That modification can be as simple as a couple of bytes, or to produce something completely different. Generally in the context it is used, it means that it's a firmware that has the same base as an official one but with security checks and possibly other artificial limitations removed.

"firmware" or "custom firmware" is binary code, and provided as an image.

That doesn't mean it has to be on the device.

To allude to such things is as stupid as asking the question..."is an image of a CD a CD?"

No it's an image of a CD.

Of course this image can be mounted in a virtual drive etc etc...

It's a shame conversation of such low quality crops up, the lack of understanding of basic things that people are using is troubling.

Reactions: JayRo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
where Modified firmware is the same with more changes made but not a permanent firmware complete (...)
Semantics-wise, a modified firmware, be it a complete solution or not, is a custom firmware - it's been customized in some fashion and is no longer like the original.

A good example of custom firmwares that are not flashed onto the system in an already modified form are custom firmwares on post-6.20 PSP's that aren't Pandora-compatible. In PRO (L)CFW the modifications are loaded on-top of the existing OFW upon rebooting via Fast Recovery, meaning they're not embedded into the firmware proper, they're patches.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Would you guys consider Windows to be a custom OS when software that modifies certain aspects is installed?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where did this "not CFW" stuff spring from? I had seriously not heard of anything like this before this thread.

Would you guys consider Windows to be a custom OS when software that modifies certain aspects is installed?

Kind of yeah. If I hand you a fully working basic install and you install some drivers and hose it up then it was the custom stuff that did it.

Beyond that though we get into more what is functionality and what is not realms (something that troubles some license people to this day). As windows provides APIs, programming tools, models/info on what goes then it is arguably within intended functionality.
Windows is also quite far removed from the locked down embedded hardware market which most recent consoles and those from Japanese or American companies find themselves playing in.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CFW is probably a term broad enough to be bordering on meaningless for a lot of things and that might be an example of it. Either way yeah I would have to consider gaining access to su/root (something not allowed by default and with greater powers than stock) as a type of CFW.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I would say that a cfw is any firmware permanently altered to acheive further goals than originally intended , and wouldnt really define hacks that temporary patch firmware , that have to be carried out each time the system runs as cfw , although they do customise the firmware but not permanently.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the term for what he is making/doing/achieved is not important.... the fact that he can run his own code and add feautures like making screenshots is. But to avoid any further confusion lets call it jailroot firmware

Reactions: artlan

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
What have the gateway team done to be objectionable at this point?

You mean aside from creating a product designed solely to syphon money away from developers? :P Generally I have no issues with piracy, except when people profit from it, much like the dongles from the PS3 scene.

Reactions: NEP

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well I pretty much gave up on waiting. I updated 3DS so I could play newer games. As for region free, I will probably wait for hack to be released (no GateWay way, but real cartridge) and get used 3DS or something.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why? It's still something being worked on, even if it doesn't meet your standards. Smealum has said he has plans to release, and he has updates on progress fairly frequently.

Users will create another thread when an update comes out of the twitter account of the guy, also some naive people seems to believe something for the final users will be released in a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious