Not open for further replies.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is a long ways off from CFW...
But it shows that he has edited system files/code (at least in memory) which is the first step to a CFW I suppose. If he actually edited the files on the NAND then that's even better.
I wonder how long until we can downgrade firmware by using modified firmware updates placed on SD or a spoofed SpotPass server? :P

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to firmware spoof so we can play retail games like Pokemon?
have yet to look into it in detail but yeah more than likely.

How exactly can you cheat in pokemon if you need 4.5 just to make the custom firmware to work, and pokemon requires a much higher version, some kind of firmware spoofing that let's you go online even when the 3ds is not at the required version?
see above

It looks like a new image, not changed string.
That means he's either decoded the 3DS internal image format, or he's gotten his own picture viewer to run, which is a good step toward a toolchain.
This is a long ways off from CFW...
But it shows that he has edited system files/code (at least in memory) which is the first step to a CFW I suppose. If he actually edited the files on the NAND then that's even better.
I wonder how long until we can downgrade firmware by using modified firmware updates placed on SD or a spoofed SpotPass server? :P

cf clarification post http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-custom-firmware-by-smealum.356063/page-6#post-4802789

anywho i mentioned the ability to take screenshots; here's an example of a 3D screenshot :
3d_scr.gif

not super useful but should alleviate doubts that we in fact have our own modified firmware code running.

rooshoes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smealum: any chance you could help out with http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-mitm-attack.356189/#post-4805420 via dumping trusted CA stores? if there's a potential SSL masquerade attack that could use X/Y as a vector, wouldn't that be useful (as nintendo would need to patch X/Y, not the firmware)? that is assuming 3DS-mode games arent completely sandboxed and can even be used to escalate an exploit

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
He may hacked the firmware but I don't think he will be able to run a rom.
You need to run it from a sd card.

mary1517

Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, so you can mace screens while using your 3DS, actually... that sounds neat for me. Can it be possible in the future to record gameplays to the SD card? You know that would be a hit since the capture cards are so expensive. But that's just a question, I don't even know if that's possible.

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i see you don't have any idea about what is a custom firmware with rom loader, or how does a custom firmware works on a ps3\psp...
I do have a psp with flash cfw and a PS3 with cfw.
I know how it works. I don't see it working for 3DS roms if it needs writing to a sd card.

landmasta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Great, now I have to decide whether to wait for this, blow 80 on a Gateway, or wait for a cheap Gateway clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1