Hacking 3DS Custom Code Execution?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what pursuit of glory? we did this for fun in our spare time and we shared the result (video) with the people we talked to on #3dsdev over the past couple of weeks. We never took your money and honestly I dont feel in the slightest way obligated to the people/groups that we credited for (except to credit them) and I feel certainly no obligation towards you. They took your money? - take it on with them (besides: custom code execution is no new achievment. This was done months ago).
Surely you knew this video would ignite a firestorm of hope and excitement. Why else would you post it to youtube, why would you even make the video at all? I didn't say you should be obligated to anyone, I'm just explaining to you the consequences of what you have done.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yer it stupid to put up a video if all your going to do is show off, look at what we can do, does it suck not being able to do what we can? if you won't stupid you would be able to do what we can, that the message you give to people.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
oh :'3 finally coming, GBA Emulation and a great possibility of N64, time to buy a GateWay and a new 3DS with 4.5 xDD

I think you're being a bit optimistic with N64.
3DS hardware is quite limited, making a N64 emulator on 3DS will be very hard and is definetly going to take some years of development until playable(if possible).

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess i should wait until christmas before spending 80 for no reason:hateit: sigh I wanna play BRAVELY DEFAULT RIGHT NOW

First off I wouldn't say spending $80 on the gateway is for no reason as others have said it is going to be a long ways off (likely) till we get another solution for running roms (either from another flashcart or if ever the 3DS SD slot). Gateway gives you every rom from every region now accept Animal Crossings. Bravely default is awesome but unless you read japanese what good will it do you to play an in depth rpg that you can't read the text. The westernized version is supposed to be out in EU later this year and in US early next...if you get the gateway you should be able to play the EU version by the end of the year.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll need to learn more about the software and hardware first. Also we'll need a very talented team to work on the emulator after we discover more about they system.

But even so, the most we'd be able to run on a 3DS (Most-likely) is SNES-gen. N64 likely won't even be possible, let alone PSX.

Well maybe PSX as I think the 3DS might be powerful enough considering the PSP was, but then again $ony created the PSX emulator for PSP and no one knows their hardware better than them or has the level of development teams able to create a high quality emulator for their own systems....I would think SNES level, GBA and older MAME would be well within reach just by porting commonly available existing EMUs which would be a big step up from the DS which really couldn't even emulate galaga when I thru it on the supercard DS2 mame emulator

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True.
However, years of not having a CFW?
Unless nobody wants to make a CFW then it's highly probable yes ;p
But I wouldn't say years that quickly since it seems a little broad.
Let's just keep it on Months to be a bit optimistic haha.

The difference though was the ps3's keys got leaked allowing them to decrypt the OFW and make a CFW.....so unless someone finds a way to decrypt an OFW on 3DS we won't see a full 3DS....what gateaway is doing is more like 'modifying' certain aspects of the OFW and that in itself can lead to some great stuff like what they have done and running unsigned code.....in many ways its just as good accept a real CFW would allow us a basterdized upgrade of 4.5 and probably way more functions like onine, eshop, games from SD slot.....someday I am sure it will get there but the question remains will it ever happen for machines past 4.5?

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am amazed about the amount of feedback we got.. which even included job offers. Thanks!

Of course, I recognize the advantages of just releasing what we have and personally I hate to not share. But, I also see the disadvantages more clearly now: Nintendo has one (actually two) more name/s to go after. Even without this 'legal concerns', I still won't feel comfortable to open a device to piracy.. or aiding that. Don't buy closed systems if you dont like them.
Also for me this was vacation activity. Very fun one.. still, I will pick up my job in a few days again and at least I wont be working much on this anymore in the immenent future. I hope that this is at least on some level understandable. If not: please ignore the video, nothing happened.

Thank you.
Of course its a Russian that found out how to hack it. Znachit thi vapshe nam ni dash tvoyu programa shtop eta zdelet?

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a perfect world, there are lots of such candidates that both have the skill and can be trusted with such a task.. In our world, I simply know none.
Also keep in mind: We barely made it in and know exactly nothing. if you think 3dbrew documents the system software well enough to do a sandboxed homebrew loader: no way. At least 6 months tedious research&documenting is required, maybe more. This is not like e.g., the Android/iPhone SDK or even the libc. This is working with 'bits and bytes' - literally.

Thank you for explaining that to people who think just because you essentially ran a glorified hello world that you have provided something in the way of a full homebrew loader......look I don't know why people are fretting....gateway has said it is their desire to provide full homebrew and running of unsigned code in the future, they obviously have some talented people working on this because after all they did provide the DS overflow entry point and also created the 3DS launcher app that allows modification of the firmware enough to tamper with the cartridge slot, to dump and load their save game files from the eeprom on the red cartridge, and to bypas region and version checks. Obviously their launcher is some type of unsigned code.

I totally understand your position especially after what happened to GeoHot when he figured out the PS3 JB and released it into the wild for free. Gateway is the one with a financial incentive to provide more features and if people want to see them then I would say support gateway and buy their product as they have some credibility in that everything they have said they can deliver they have so far.

By all accounts wouldn't you say they are further along in understanding the 3DS structure and what it will take to run homebrew then you guys are?

Reactions: emo kid 68

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well maybe PSX as I think the 3DS might be powerful enough considering the PSP was, but then again $ony created the PSX emulator for PSP and no one knows their hardware better than them or has the level of development teams able to create a high quality emulator for their own systems....I would think SNES level, GBA and older MAME would be well within reach just by porting commonly available existing EMUs which would be a big step up from the DS which really couldn't even emulate galaga when I thru it on the supercard DS2 mame emulator

The hardware in the 3DS is far different from the PSP's.

Without getting into the 'tech' talk, 3DS' hardware is crap at emulation.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No some guy named KODESTROM released the decrypted launcher.dat (1.0 and 1.1a) on #3dsdev. Everyone there including lightenup and plutooo would have a copy.
A few of us here may have a copy, all it would require is a pm and the reason you want it :)

Edit: It isnt anything "cool" or usable unless you know how to use it.

Reactions: signz

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardware in the 3DS is far different from the PSP's.

I can believe it as Nintendo tends to build their systems for their needs and doesn't really focus much on raw horsepower or what other developers might like (hence why the WiiU is getting shunned and called weak even though when Nintendo's own great stuff comes out everyone will say how the hell do they do that). Like I said $ony made the ps1 emulator for psx and the similarities in their architecture and their teams knowledge of this probably had a lot to do with it working so damned well. I was actually pretty amazed that it did run most games 100% considering the psp is probably situated between the psx an ps2 power wise but obviously had some special features intended for psx emulation because they still haven't been able to get PSX with sound in the Vita's hacked PSP mode because the hardware that PSP used for the sound in not present in the emulator.

I would say if you want the best portable for emulation to this point then get a used PSP....what they are like less than $50 and can be hacked by a novice in 10 minutes and then you get good nes/snes/gba/ps1/scum emulation and a pretty decent low res mp4 and divx player...probably more than we will ever get on a hacked 3DS

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I can believe it as Nintendo tends to build their systems for their needs and doesn't really focus much on raw horsepower or what other developers might like (hence why the WiiU is getting shunned and called weak even though when Nintendo's own great stuff comes out everyone will say how the hell do they do that). Like I said $ony made the ps1 emulator for psx and the similarities in their architecture and their teams knowledge of this probably had a lot to do with it working so damned well. I was actually pretty amazed that it did run most games 100% considering the psp is probably situated between the psx an ps2 power wise but obviously had some special features intended for psx emulation because they still haven't been able to get PSX with sound in the Vita's hacked PSP mode because the hardware that PSP used for the sound in not present in the emulator.

I would say if you want the best portable for emulation to this point then get a used PSP....what they are like less than $50 and can be hacked by a novice in 10 minutes and then you get good nes/snes/gba/ps1/scum emulation and a pretty decent low res mp4 and divx player...probably more than we will ever get on a hacked 3DS
To be honest, I myself want a good Movie player for 3DS...:P

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I myself want a good Movie player for 3DS...:P

I agree and what would be so cool is a player and a pc tool that would let you take a 3D capable BRD release and convert it to something you coudl play on the 3DS....I really thought when the 3DS first came out that Nintendo would make some deals with movie studios and try to sell some 3D created movie content on the eShop......I just don't think they give a crap about media because they have no incentive to make money off it unlike $ony who owns a crapload of music and movie studios and rights and can make considerable money by selling it to you on Vita/ps3

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
CFW for the 3DS is a matter of time. How much time, it depends on many factors, but it will definitely come.

For those talking about ethics, there is nothing ethical about not releasing their findings publically. These excuses are just BS, HUGE BS!

For one, the choice about paying or not the game developer, is one for each 3DS owner to make, and not the hackers. CFW is like a knife, you can use it to cut bread or throats, the knife itself is not moral/immoral, just its owner...

Furthermore, there is something more evil than helping piracy: Helping thieves making money from it! Using software without paying for it is one thing, but profiting from other people's hard work, is on a another level of immorality...

As i have said before on these forums, there is no way in hell Gateway didn't get the exploit from Neimod/Yellow's group of people, FOR MONEY. In order to design & implement a solution like Gateway and mass produce it you need a few months, which coincides devilishly with the announcement of the exploit from them... Too many coincidences, and i don't believe in coincidences much...

Not that it is a bad thing, no one spends his precious time for free. It is ok for them to make money. The only reason i despise their tactics is because they mock people for wanting the hacks with BS excuses like "no-warez"...

The problem with Nintendo consoles, is that there is an established profitable industry of flashcarts already, and people are used to using flashcarts, so it makes no sense to release hacks for free when you can make millions from it...

For the next few years, people will post youtube videos of their succesful use of the exploit, and will be contacted either by Gateway or another clone to share the profits/bribe to silence them.

The same thing happened with many consoles.

Eventually someone will not get enough from them, and will decide to release it in the wild, and then it will be game over for flashcarts...

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am amazed about the amount of feedback we got.. which even included job offers. Thanks!

Of course, I recognize the advantages of just releasing what we have and personally I hate to not share. But, I also see the disadvantages more clearly now: Nintendo has one (actually two) more name/s to go after. Even without this 'legal concerns', I still won't feel comfortable to open a device to piracy.. or aiding that. Don't buy closed systems if you dont like them.
Also for me this was vacation activity. Very fun one.. still, I will pick up my job in a few days again and at least I wont be working much on this anymore in the immenent future. I hope that this is at least on some level understandable. If not: please ignore the video, nothing happened.

Thank you.

i fail to see how you are directly supporting piracy when you are just allowing the console to run unsigned code, you can not get in trouble for doing that because the console and software is yours and you are releasing custom software that you created, in fact modifying your device is a legal right protected by the law

will people use these cfws for the wrong reasons like piracy, yes, that is unavoidable, whether its someone pirating 3ds games or some child playing a n64 game he never owned, or a kid loading pirated MP3 files on his 3ds so he can listen to music, piracy will happen, it is not your problem is someone else uses your invention for the wrong reasons, you dont see gun manufactures getting sued because of a school shooting, you dont see a car manufacture being used when their vehicle is used in a vehicular manslaughter case, you dont see apple being sued for making an ipod capable of holding pirated MP3s and movies

saying you wont release any work to not support piracy, imho, shows you dont have any actual work completed on the matter and you, just like bad development teams, are just using piracy as a scapegoat to get people to look away from your failure...

Reactions: TemplarGR

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i fail to see how you are directly supporting piracy when you are just allowing the console to run unsigned code (...)
In kernel mode which is entirely capable of loading ROM's. :D

In any case, yeah, I've read IRC logs claiming that homebrew is already possible on the system, we merely lack the libraries to code it efficiently and comfortably. I'm expecting homebrew to pop up as soon as those are coded and as soon as Gateway prepares a Homebrew Loader of sorts, or at least a menu for their cart.
Not really true, although it is fact that the PSP only pushed PSX games so well because it virtualized the environment instead of emulating it. I can see a PSX emulator working just fine for the 3DS, if not some PoC, semi-playable DC emulator as well. N64 might be a stretch, but you could push it to somewhat playable speeds. Anything beyond that is a drunken man's dream though. :P As far as emulation and resource-heavy homebrew is concerned, I've got my eyes set on the PSVita and I can't wait till that system's hacked, seeing that it offers so, so much more than the 3DS in the specs department.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
lightenup got job offers? for what? i'm very interested about that, it sounds cool, well done.
and so maybe i didn't get it before, so with this, with some work, you would be able to play roms with just the 'blue' gateway card? (or any card that can load the exploit, but the mean thing i mean is, without needing the red card)

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
lightenup got job offers? for what? i'm very interested about that, it sounds cool, well done.
and so maybe i didn't get it before, so with this, with some work, you would be able to play roms with just the 'blue' gateway card? (or any card that can load the exploit, but the mean thing i mean is, without needing the red card)
only with an sd card.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
Something came to my mind today

If the exploit allows to run unsigned code with full access and is booted from the bluecard (that is no more then a regular ds flashcard), this would mean that a loader could in theory be run from any of the DS-mode cards available

Or i'm missing something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs