Hacking 3DS Custom Code Execution?

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
lightenup, this spinning cube in your video.. are you got it compiled from someone who have access to devunit/sdk? or you write it yourself from scratch?
We didn't use any 3ds devunits/sdks for that; its 'from scratch' (although we only slightly modified an existing screendemo for an FPGA devkit).

Release what you have done, gateway won't make any money anymore, you win.
Yea.. if it were Gateway and us (plutooo and I) alone then this would be a valid winning condition.That would really show Gateway. hmm but gateway and us are not the only two 'stakeholders', hence I fail to see how we'd win. Gateway is Nintendo's problem, not ours.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that win? lightenup stated he did not want to aid piracy.

Lemme just quote my own reply once more because it makes it more clear:

Free piracy on the 3DS is going to happen, it may as well be today, it also depends how you look at it, the quicker it gets released the quicker Nintendo can work out a way to block it and the sooner there can block the newer games. I think it all going to go down just before pokemon comes out, like the 8th or the 5th of october range, clearly people are saving all the good stuff for that, intill then we just get the cock teases.

liban100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free piracy on the 3DS is going to happen, it may as well be today, it also depends how you look at it, the quicker it gets released the quicker Nintendo can work out a way to block it and the sooner there can block the newer games. I think it all going to go down just before pokemon comes out, like the 8th or the 5th of october range, clearly people are saving all the good stuff for that, intill then we just get the cock teases.

Not to mention it only works on 4.5

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can't release the work atleast share information on what you did. Don't be ruthless and say that you won't release or tell anything. Anyway its your work more people are coming with the things you have shown. Its only a matter of time. The point is we have an exploit and sooner or later somebody will release how to get it for free.

Always thought of someone like C4eva in the xbox scene doing that for 3ds.

Reactions: yuyuyup

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, you all sound like a bunch of whiny kids pestering their parents to buy them a toy. Look, if they don't want to release what they wrote that's their prerogative. Anyone who remembers what happened to geohot should be keenly aware that releasing things like this can be incredibly risky, and you can't blame them for not wanting to stake their livelihoods just so that a few people can have free games. In fact, if it were me, I'd have thought twice about uploading that video at all, cool as it may be.

But they did upload it, and while that doesn't help homebrewers directly, it did demonstrate that it's possible and gave a few hints as to how it was done.

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as making homebrew running will be available to public, next logical step will be using it to dump per-console keys, decrypting NAND contents and reversing System Menu modules. After that 3DS is pretty much opened for piracy... you can decrypt 6.2 and any future updates and even make 3DS with 4.5 system menu launching decrypted/patched 6.2 system menu from SD card (remember DevHook from early PSP days?) wich allows running backups from ROM files. And all of this doesn't require having SDK, while actual homebrew developing pretty much useless without it...

Reactions: NEP and lightenup

Benshannon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I thougt here was a place where people help each other to develop homebrews and unchain console that are limited by the companies tells you what you can do and can't do with them.
But here we are debating over if its moral to use our console the way we want, not the way companies told you.
It's my problem that I got a Japanese one but what's with the all this regional lock thing? Can't you see? They even tell you where to buy your games and which games to buy.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am amazed about the amount of feedback we got.. which even included job offers. Thanks!

Of course, I recognize the advantages of just releasing what we have and personally I hate to not share. But, I also see the disadvantages more clearly now: Nintendo has one (actually two) more name/s to go after. Even without this 'legal concerns', I still won't feel comfortable to open a device to piracy.. or aiding that. Don't buy closed systems if you dont like them.
Also for me this was vacation activity. Very fun one.. still, I will pick up my job in a few days again and at least I wont be working much on this anymore in the immenent future. I hope that this is at least on some level understandable. If not: please ignore the video, nothing happened.

Thank you.
Your pursuit of glory got a lot of peoples hopes up. People (like me) have donated hard earned money to the very people you credit for helping achieve custom code.

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Your pursuit of glory got a lot of peoples hopes up. People (like me) have donated hard earned money to the very people you credit for helping achieve custom code.
what pursuit of glory? we did this for fun in our spare time and we shared the result (video) with the people we talked to on #3dsdev over the past couple of weeks. We never took your money and honestly I dont feel in the slightest way obligated to the people/groups that we credited for (except to credit them) and I feel certainly no obligation towards you. They took your money? - take it on with them (besides: custom code execution is no new achievment. This was done months ago).

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what pursuit of glory? we did this for fun in our spare time and we shared the result (video) with the people we talked to on #3dsdev over the past couple of weeks. We never took your money and honestly I dont feel in the slightest way obligated to the people/groups that we credited for (except to credit them) and I feel certainly no obligation towards you. They took your money? - take it on with them (besides: custom code execution is no new achievment. This was done months ago).

Why did you remove the video? :(

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
He realized it was a mistake given all the emotion it has stirred up.

Doesn't matter anyway, just google 'youku' and the title of this thread and you'll find it.

Ok, thanks :D
I already saw it, but i was wondering why he removed it :unsure:
But now i understand, thanks for your answer :yay:

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your right, you don't have to release anything, it would be nice tho :) Also tho, it seems piracy with flash carts will be widespread(4.2?), and your release could at least make it not profitable, but of course as you say, this is not your problem.

Reactions: xyzmanas

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He realized it was a mistake given all the emotion it has stirred up.

Doesn't matter anyway, just google 'youku' and the title of this thread and you'll find it.

Lmao the god damn chinese clone everything even videos now. There's even a freaking logo in the top corner so ppl think the youku poster did it. They must be stopped!

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you can't release the work atleast share information on what you did. Don't be ruthless and say that you won't release or tell anything. Anyway its your work more people are coming with the things you have shown. Its only a matter of time. The point is we have an exploit and sooner or later somebody will release how to get it for free.

Always thought of someone like C4eva in the xbox scene doing that for 3ds.

They have been enough polite to say what they've gathered, maybe not much info, but still.

You want to do it? Do it, and share everything. ;)

Reactions: lightenup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT