• Views 413,059
  • Replies 1,200
  • Likes 104

CTurt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So glad to hear that it is connecting for everyone now! Since port 8888 was giving many people trouble, I'll probably change the default port in the next version.

The next features I will be working on is:

- Support for using the touch screen as a keyboard,
- Support for mapping buttons to actual joystick buttons rather than keyboard buttons,

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad to hear that it is connecting for everyone now! Since port 8888 was giving many people trouble, I'll probably change the default port in the next version.

- Support for mapping buttons to actual joystick buttons rather than keyboard buttons,

I use port 5000... same one FTPony/FTBrony uses and it worked perfectly for me.

Reactions: YoshiInAVoid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

port 8889 worked for me.

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works with surprising little lag for me, one thing though is the program eats away at the CPU like crazy. When running dolphin my speed jumps from 70% to 50% when opening the program. I noticed my fans revved up too, in task manager it's usage is 25% of my CPU. Changing affinity or priority in task manager doesn't seem to help. It seems unthrottled almost. Another thing is I don't think clicking or right clicking is mappable, and the "tap" input would probably be more practical if it registered short taps like a mouse pad does instead of immediately on receiving touch screen input.

For an alpha build still without any user interface it still works stably though, which is nice.

I really like the no menus to dig through style it's got going on too, just open it and it works.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Cant wait for joystick buttons :D

BlackTearsX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Works like a charm!
Thank you for this awesome piece of Homebrew!

I would love to use my 3DS as a drawing tablet for photoshop (so i don't have to buy one),
is it possible to adjust the mouse speed and maybe change the button when you tap on the touchscreen? :)

CTurt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This works with surprising little lag for me, one thing though is the program eats away at the CPU like crazy. When running dolphin my speed jumps from 70% to 50% when opening the program. I noticed my fans revved up too, in task manager it's usage is 25% of my CPU. Changing affinity or priority in task manager doesn't seem to help. It seems unthrottled almost. Another thing is I don't think clicking or right clicking is mappable, and the "tap" input would probably be more practical if it registered short taps like a mouse pad does instead of immediately on receiving touch screen input.

For an alpha build still without any user interface it still works stably though, which is nice.

I really like the no menus to dig through style it's got going on too, just open it and it works.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Yes, there is no throttling. The 3DS sends the held down keys, position of the circle pad, and position of touch screen every frame, and the PC deals with every packet that comes through. This means it works pretty well, but it eats up a lot of CPU, which I realise isn't very practical, I will add the option to limit the amount of data sent per second.

I didn't actually test the clicking and right clicking, so there could well be a problem, I will check it out later.

You're definitely right with the tap input, I did it this way because it was easiest, but I will try to improve it with future updates.

is it possible to adjust the mouse speed and maybe change the button when you tap on the touchscreen?
At the moment there is no way to adjust the mouse speed, I will try and add this in the next update. Changing the button that is triggered when you tap is simple, just go to the PC's 3DSController.ini file and change the line that says "Tap: SPACE" to whatever you want.

I also realised that there is no way to select NONE for a button configuration, I will add this in the next update as well.

Reactions: jamieyello and Ryft

Assasin1990

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
YoshiInAVoid , thx for your hard work , it's awesome !
can you make this to connect with Android device ? if you have that in your plans
I want to donate for your hard work.

CTurt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
YoshiInAVoid , thx for your hard work , it's awesome !
can you make this to connect with Android device ? if you have that in your plans
I want to donate for your hard work.
Android support is not currently planned, but maybe I will think about support for other systems in the future, mainly Android, and Linux.

I have decided for the first time ever to start accepting donations (with PayPal). For anyone who wants to, just give me a PM. If you donate any amount, I will send you new versions of 3DS Controller before they are released publicly.

Today I've made great progress. Mainly, I added throttling which decreases average CPU usage of the application on my computer from ~30% to ~2% with negligible effects on speed. There are 7 other changes as well, which I have described in detail to my donators, along with a beta version.

Aerione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this is quite cool and I guess it's great for people who want an alternative to the DS4.
How much harder would it be though, to reverse this procedure and have the PC as the controller for the 3DS?
That way, we can connect all kinds of controllers to the 3DS for increased ergonomy..

CTurt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this is quite cool and I guess it's great for people who want an alternative to the DS4.
How much harder would it be though, to reverse this procedure and have the PC as the controller for the 3DS?
That way, we can connect all kinds of controllers to the 3DS for increased ergonomy..
This would definitely require kernel access (so CFW only, no GW or Ninjhax). And even with kernel access, would be very difficult. I don't think that I would be able to do this, sorry.

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome o_o, I'll probably keep this open on my PC at all times. The last little bit of feedback (although I feel like I'm being picky) would be to be able to set two bindings to one input, so a second joystick and mouse could be used with the touchscreen at once. The tap input although not like a mouse could be made useful too, so it'd be nice to have that along with a laptop touchpad mouse click input as well.

Amazing though. I probably would have have realized what a useful homebrew something like this could be, I probably would have never thought doing it over WiFi would work so well either.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the latest version, controls won't work.
The screens are black on my 3DS, The correct local IP is set, port is set to 8889.

CTurt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using the latest version, controls won't work.
The screens are black on my 3DS, The correct local IP is set, port is set to 8889.
The format of the 3DS's 3DSController.ini changed. Check in the 3DS folder for an example. Also, try changing the port back to 8888 if the last version worked for you.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DSController.ini is up to date.
Having 3DSController.ini in the 3DS folder gives me "Bad ini! Start and Select to exit." message.
Having it in the SD root works, and 3DS gives me black screen as if the controls do work, but are not working.

Never mind, I forgot to turn on wireless on my 3DS. It works now.

blunt420force

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New version works great thanks, one small issue, when the mouse speed is set to 4 it tends to keep moving after I stop , or if I lightly move the circlepad it just keeps moving in that direction. When I set the mouse speed to 2 I have no problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...