Gaming 3DS capable of emulating N64?

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading a rule somewhere that in order for a system to emulate another system, it needs to be 8-10 times as powerful. Looking at the specs:

3DS
RAM: 64MB
CPU: 532 MHz (2x266 MHz)

N64
RAM: 4MB
CPU: 93.75 MHz

Following this rule, there is definitely enough RAM, but the CPU might not be powerful enough.

metalmouth647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks for your answer.
I hope one day it will be emulated though.
frown.gif

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
metalmouth647 said:
frown.gif

I'm sure it'll be able to emulate at full speed actually if PSP = 333MHz and it runs at about 40-80% (actually it runs 100% on some games)

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
bdr9 said:
I remember reading a rule somewhere that in order for a system to emulate another system, it needs to be 8-10 times as powerful. Looking at the specs:

3DS

N64

Following this rule, there is definitely enough RAM, but the CPU might not be powerful enough.

Do i see someone comparing two completely different cpu's by there MHz?, You can't compare two different cpu's that way, its like comparing apples and oranges.

A 1.6Ghz Core 2 duo easy beats a 3.2Ghz pentium 4, When you take into account the fact its dual core, aswell as it being a different architecture with completely new instruction sets, different amounts of L1 and L2 cache and a bunch of other stuff, there is just no comparing.

Also is the 2x266 Mhz arm processors confirmed yet?, i heard it too from IGN but im wondering what there source is?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
metalmouth647 said:
frown.gif

I'm sure it'll be able to emulate at full speed actually if PSP = 333MHz and it runs at about 40-80% (actually it runs 100% on some games)

Yup, I can play Super Mario 64 full speed on my PSP.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
omgpwn666 said:
Brian10122 said:
metalmouth647 said:
frown.gif

With no sound
tongue.gif

I think yes, it can. 3DS is like a GameCube portable and GameCube can emulate N64.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
omgpwn666 said:
Brian10122 said:
metalmouth647 said:
frown.gif

With no sound
tongue.gif

I think yes, it can. 3DS is like a GameCube portable and GameCube can emulate N64.

I never use sound anyways. :>

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hardware wise it should be capable. But it will take skilled programmers, such as those who work for Nintendo or have commerical experience to write an emulator which has good frame rates.

It's unlikely you will get a homebrew emulator with decent speeds, Bleemcast was the exception.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
bdr9 said:

3DS

N64

Twin processor power =/= Power of two processors added. And anyway, that's a pretty inaccurate comparison. It's not taking into account any of the additional factors, just the MHz. The whole 7 times more powerful thing is just to make n00bs asking for PS3 emulators go away.

Anyways. Nintendo is really good at making emulators for their own games on their own consoles. They nail all the settings down to the last detail to ensure each released game runs perfectly. The Wii can do N64, even though its homebrew emulator fails. Same with the GC. For a homebrew emulator? Perhaps someone could make it work at a decent speed. A Nintendo made emulator? Yes, definitely. If they want it to happen, it will.

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They may emulate some individual games sorta like what Bleemcast guy did, writing a stand alone emulator that's capable of running every game perfect is hard task at hand, even the PC emulators aren't perfect at emulating the N64. But who cares when they're remaking StarFox 64, Zelda OoT and making a new Pilotwings
tongue.gif
all in 3D.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
bdr9 said:

3DS

N64

Twin processor power =/= Power of two processors added. And anyway, that's a pretty inaccurate comparison. It's not taking into account any of the additional factors, just the MHz. The whole 7 times more powerful thing is just to make n00bs asking for PS3 emulators go away.

Anyways. Nintendo is really good at making emulators for their own games on their own consoles. They nail all the settings down to the last detail to ensure each released game runs perfectly. The Wii can do N64, even though its homebrew emulator fails. Same with the GC. For a homebrew emulator? Perhaps someone could make it work at a decent speed. A Nintendo made emulator? Yes, definitely. If they want it to happen, it will.

Funny because those new six-core AMD's can be about eight times more powerful than a PS3
tongue.gif

metalmouth647

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trans am said:
They may emulate some individual games sorta like what Bleemcast guy did, writing a stand alone emulator that's capable of running every game perfect is hard task at hand, even the PC emulators aren't perfect at emulating the N64. But who cares when they're remaking StarFox 64, Zelda OoT and making a new Pilotwings
tongue.gif
all in 3D.
But what if i wanna play the old versions again?
frown.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
darkreaperofdreams said:
funny how people talk about emulation when they don't even know if this thing will be hackable or not
Funny because the Wii emulates a dozen odd consoles with proprietary emulators.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
darkreaperofdreams said:
funny how people talk about emulation when they don't even know if this thing will be hackable or not
Funny because the Wii emulates a dozen odd consoles with proprietary emulators.
Huh?

If you mean proprietary emulation as in the one that Nintendo wrote, yea, they can emulate many dozen console alright.

But open source emulator, like Wii64, requires Wii to be hacked first before being able to use it.

Also this is about 3DS, so why bring out Wii? It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs