Hardware 3DS cameras and super stable 3D not working

Giygas_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Luma3DS and boot9strap installed on my N3DS XL. I recently opened the back of my 3DS up to clean the ABXY buttons because the A button had been unresponsive. I cleaned them and closed everything back up (was just a few hairs in the rubber pad that sits between the buttons and the contactors)...but then later found that anytime I try to open the camera, I get a black screen with the following message:

"An error occured (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic

Process ID: 67115840

Address: 0x00000d1a
Error code: 0x000000d1

Press any button to reboot."

I wasn't too concerned initially since I don't really use the camera until I discovered that the super stable 3D was no longer working. I went to test it in system settings, and it said "Super-stable 3D is not functioning correctly."

I have a feeling the two issues are related since I noticed them around the same time, and they're both part of the camera. I also don't see the IR sensor lighting up in dark rooms anymore.

I'm just a bit baffled since when I opened the 3DS up, all I did was remove the L and R button cables, unscrew and remove the board for the ABXY buttons, replace the buttons and board, and then put everything back together. I never removed the motherboard or went anywhere near the camera. I even tested out the camera on the home menu just before closing the system up (because I was testing the L and R buttons), and it worked fine. Took a couple pictures with it. It wasn't until maybe an hour later that I couldn't start the camera anymore.

I also tried backing up to a sysNAND backup I made just before opening the 3DS up. I figured maybe it could be a software problem since after cleaning the 3DS I installed a .cia from a game cart (StarFox 64 3D). Didn't solve the issue. It really seems like a hardware problem...

I also just installed a Mugen Power battery and let it charge overnight with the 3DS wall charger. Perhaps it's a power issue? Tried the stock battery, but still have the same problem.

I thought I might try to dig deeper and see if something happened to the camera ribbon since I've heard they're extremely fragile, but I don't trust myself with all of those delicate little ribbon cables...Getting the motherboard out looks like a really delicate affair.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Giygas_95,

Giygas_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should also add that I was at Luma 9.1 when I did the work on the internals. I then updated to 10.0. I noticed the camera issue before updating though, and when I fell back to 9.1, it was still an issue. Generally I can play just fine without super stable 3D as I can hold the system pretty steady, but I just want my things to work right...Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by Giygas_95,

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
the only hardware failure i can think of is that because you've installed extended battery, which comes with its own battery cover/screws - you might've "longscrewed"/crushed the SMBus IC (the chip outlined in Red in the picture), it's right next to the camera connector and sits under the screw hole for the battery cover, so i would remove the back cover and check if it's ok
3dic.jpg

Giygas_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only hardware failure i can think of is that because you've installed extended battery, which comes with its own battery cover/screws - you might've "longscrewed"/crushed the SMBus IC (the chip outlined in Red in the picture), it's right next to the camera connector and sits under the screw hole for the battery cover, so i would remove the back cover and check if it's ok
View attachment 172040

Thanks...I'll check this when I have some time.

Giygas_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's what happened...I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I realize when I was putting the screws back into the panel that holds the battery, I (like an idiot) wasn't paying attention and tried to put some of the screws into the holes where the back panel screws are supposed to go. I looked at my board just now, and it has a deep indentation right next to those four gold circles next to the chip you highlighted. Such a stupid mistake that means I'm gonna have to either get a new 3DS, get a new motherboard, or get someone to fix it. You know anybody in these forums who fixes stuff like this?

Thanks for pointing this out. You nailed it.

Reactions: Quantumcat

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
here is the picture of it repaired
View attachment 172598

Wow, amazing and clever workaround. Congratulations, one can't find such good technicians here in my country, I wish there were.

A little tale related: I had an issue 3 years ago with a N3DS XL that I thought was dead, went to many repair shops and everyone said that the motherboard was fried and it needed a full replacement, and the cost was nearly the same as a new console. I regretted to fix it and bought another one. Long story short, Last night I decided to swap some pieces from the "dead" one to my current one (is getting old by use) just to find out that, when disasembling it myself as I have more knowledge now than back then, the only fricking issue was that the screen ribbon cable was badly attached to its port... so I put it back on its place and that was all... it turned on as if time haven't passed since 2016. Every fkn technician in my country just wants to rip you off in your face, what a shame.

Last edited by DSoryu,

Giygas_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, amazing and clever workaround. Congratulations, one can't find such good technicians here in my country, I wish there were.

A little tale related: I had an issue 3 years ago with a N3DS XL that I thought was dead, went to many repair shops and everyone said that the motherboard was fried and it needed a full replacement, and the cost was nearly the same as a new console. I regretted to fix it and bought another one. Long story short, Last night I decided to swap some pieces from the "dead" one to my current one (is getting old by use) just to find out that, when disasembling it myself as I have more knowledge now than back then, the only fricking issue was that the screen ribbon cable was badly attached to its port... so I put it back on its place and that was all... it turned on as if time haven't passed since 2016. Every fkn technician in my country just wants to rip you off in your face, what a shame.

Yeah, he has a repair service on eBay with very good reviews so I figured it was a way better option than trying my luck with having Nintendo fix it. I really appreciate him for taking care of it, but I'm still kicking myself for doing something so stupid in the first place like long screwing my board...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol