Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

mrfidgit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thx randomredmage, finally some useful information summarized in one little post
wub.gif

sonicsmash2

Trophies
XP
Country
kirbysepicyarn.jpg
[/spoiler]Again we can see it's just fear-mongering that gets stronger over time as Nintendo faces more pressure from developers and publishers.

[/quote]

Well thats stupid what if somebody else tries their flash cart on your 3DS, that kids gonna owe you new 3DS and he didnt even know it.

RandomRedMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonicsmash2 said:
Well thats stupid what if somebody else tries their flash cart on your 3DS, that kids gonna owe you new 3DS and he didnt even know it.

Well I would assume you would not just hand out your $249 3DS off willy nilly where someone can wreck it on you... provided you buy into all of the Big N's fearmongering.

The 3DS does monitor your cart use, but it also allows you to personally delete this data, and even format the DS memory to a 'factory' setting. Just like the DSi. And if Nintendo is going to try and monitor your use that closely they would have to have a high capacity flash device in the 3DS capable of storing over 5600 entries. And thats just to take a record of the DS games themselves. not to mention DSi and now 3DS games.

Can someone with a 3DS confirm how many pages there are in your 'game history' section of the 3DS. Until I get one I am somewhat limited on being able to flat out check. I think its something like 4 pages? or maybe a little more, with 8 titles displayable on each page? And this also tracks your use of DSiware/3dsware the camera, the Mii creation studio thing... and stuff like that. The system is new and powerful... but its not a data collection and databasing device.

Nintendo has no right to keep tabs on what your using on your 3DS by the simple fact of the right to privacy. It's much similar to the idea of illegal search and seizure. The police, or anyone for that matter have no right to barge into your home and rifle through your things to see what you have and what your up too. Nintendo as a non law enforcement based company, as an entertainment company, has even less of a right to do so.

It's a criminal offense to install a monitoring device inside a peice of hardware or software that keeps track of it's use and dealings without the express consent of the owner. Having the software in it to allow us the user the ability to track our own use is fine though. And thats all that is in the device, legal speak is scary, it's supposed to be. Many lawyers work for many hours piecing together meticulously the kind of words that make us think one thing when they mean something else all together.

The wording "The use of unauthorized hardware WILL make your 3ds run improperly or not run at all" does not mean the use of your flashcard will brick your 3ds. What it means, is exactly as it says, it will make your 3ds do something that was NOT intended by its manufacturers. ie. play backups of commercial games, and home brew applications.

With a lot of the newer warnings reworded to remove the 'run improperly' part out and just leave in the not run at all stuff to scare people more.

When different people have directly asked Nintendo about this so called bricking, Nintendo has back away hand in the air claiming they can not discuss their anti-piracy system. It's not that they can't discus it, but they can't admit to the public that they know they don't have the right to brick your system. Especially when there is so much fear spreading around some of the lesser educated 'pirates.'

If they had the right, and the ability to do this, they would man up. And take this fight personal with the press and flat out say, we plan to render all devices found to be using devices or modifications to circumvent our anti-piracy measures as useless bricks. I know if it was me running the company, and it was legally within my right, I would in fact do such a thing. Sure that kind of statement would cause quite a few hackers to take the challenge, but in reality a lot of people would back down, and either not buy a 3ds, or buy a 3ds and keep their old DS or buy an old DS with it to use for the flashcart. It may not stop the problem outright but it sure would put a dent in it.

And crap... I didn't realize I would go into rant mode again.... sorry. >.>; lol.

RandomRedMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha~ I actually started with the intention of making a short reply... I just kinda started typing and didn't stop till I looked back and noticed it was a screen full of my opinion.

Though to be honest, as much as I enjoy my Acekard2i, I'm almost gunning for nintendo to actually brick someones 3ds... just so I can see the shitstorm that follows. I'm a horrible person. lol Though I don't really plan to use my acekard on my 3ds when I get it. I have a DSi and I can't really sell it. Since I get no benefit from selling it to a gamestop or anything. That and I had it Autographed by Vic Mignona at my last Convention. :3

I can't wait to get one though. The one I played with at Target was fun, once I found the sweetspot for the 3d effect to work. [I was convinced this was going to be a gimmick that was going to make my eyes hurt really bad] I am sad for the region lock though... Because I can see the AR stuff to become pretty fun with some japanese games. [LovePlus 3DS anyone lol]

Rising-Curtis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, about "nintendo isnt allowed to do this..", read the agreement before u update the 3DS.
If you accept it, you allow nintendo to brick your sys..
I think its a little bit more then a scare tactic,..

Well, if there is a real function that can brick/block your DS, i think there will be a hack soon that will show a messagebox like "Nintendo tries to make your DS shit Brix" an nothing will happen...
tongue.gif

There is no way for a perfect security system...
I hope its not true anyway.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rising-Curtis said:
Well, about "nintendo isnt allowed to do this..", read the agreement before u update the 3DS.
If you accept it, you allow nintendo to brick your sys..
An EULA cannot break the law. If part of an EULA is found to be illegal, it's not enforceable, and if you would actually read the EULA, you'll notice that Nintendo states that if part of the EULA is found to violate the law, they have the right to change it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It said nothing about bricking. "Permanently unplayable" could mean stuff like internet services.

Even then it said the unauthorized device not Nintendo would do this.

Other words the device will cause problems when the 3DS is updated.

You know how the flashcarts can sometime pull up the message now name the "BSOD".
Well that could be "permanently unplayable" part.

Sounds like as long you take it out, it playable again.
laugh.gif

QUOTE said:
Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system will be removed.

Why would they continue on in saying that, if the system is bricked? It would be unnecessary.

RandomRedMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've gone over all this enough times. at this point unless anyone brings in any new information, or a new well explained interpretation of the EULA and warning labels. Then we are just turning into a gaggle of trolls rolling all over the place.

goomboss

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems to me that:

reading the back of ridge racer: it states that if ridgeracer or the 3ds firmware is changed it will cause problems (maybe 3ds games on flashcards also?)

reading the eula: AFTER the update stuff that might cause problems will be:
previous hardware or software modifications to the 3ds. And new ones for that sake.
Using an unauthorized device

meaning that we can actually use flashcards since the updates will not check the history of the ds or so (note AFTER). most warnings seem to be about piracy of 3ds games and modding of the 3ds system itself.

So far my current view on all those stupid agreements I have read.

philip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RandomRedMage said:
We've gone over all this enough times. at this point unless anyone brings in any new information, or a new well explained interpretation of the EULA and warning labels. Then we are just turning into a gaggle of trolls rolling all over the place.

It seems everyone forget one simple fact: If I am the hacker, why can't I change the log file too? If the 3DS log any activities or history - Why can't we change the history, erase the "illegal use" information as nothing happen, before connected to Wifi?

Or alternatively, 3DS need some methods to detect "illegal use" - Can't we fool around those methods so that the 3DS "cannot" detect anymore??

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RandomRedMage said:
Meaning it is in fact possible that they can make the console NOT BOOT if a flash cart is inside the slot. By simply making the 3DS check its game slot at boot each time, and shutting down immediately.
Partially right. While yes, at boot they could indeed block such usage, could we not just insert the cart after boot? lol There goes one countermeasure. The same could happen if you try to actually run the cart, which is basically what happens now (if you run unauthorized DS carts that is) minus the instant shutdown bit.

philip said:
QUOTE(RandomRedMage @ Apr 6 2011, 04:45 PM) We've gone over all this enough times. at this point unless anyone brings in any new information, or a new well explained interpretation of the EULA and warning labels. Then we are just turning into a gaggle of trolls rolling all over the place.

It seems everyone forget one simple fact: If I am the hacker, why can't I change the log file too? If the 3DS log any activities or history - Why can't we change the history, erase the "illegal use" information as nothing happen, before connected to Wifi?
We can, probably. Just spam the activity list by opening the Camera then the Wii Maker over and over. Just do that before any update, if you're paranoid. XD

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
W007 said:
Personally, I would rather have softmodding available than have to buy another flash cart (I have three; don't ask me why). I suspect that softmodding would be less detectable than flash carts. Since it's illegal for Nintendo to remotely brick systems, I doubt they'll do it.
But with softmodding you're more likely to brick the 3DS yourself; I'm not saying I'm against it, I like the idea myself, but the Wii has evidenced this many times in the past.

W007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
W007 said:
Personally, I would rather have softmodding available than have to buy another flash cart (I have three; don't ask me why). I suspect that softmodding would be less detectable than flash carts. Since it's illegal for Nintendo to remotely brick systems, I doubt they'll do it.
But with softmodding you're more likely to brick the 3DS yourself; I'm not saying I'm against it, I like the idea myself, but the Wii has evidenced this many times in the past.
That's true, but if something like bootmii is possible on the 3DS, there might not be an issue.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only tried out my Acekard once..just to make sure that it worked in the 3ds, put it in last week when I got the 3ds..haven't used it since(I use it for my DSi XL anyway, I prefer it that way) I already removed the card from the activity log, does that mean I'm Ok..I mean it was only put in once for a few seconds..when the update does come out I can probably still update without worry right?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
I only tried out my Acekard once..just to make sure that it worked in the 3ds, put it in last week when I got the 3ds..haven't used it since(I use it for my DSi XL anyway, I prefer it that way) I already removed the card from the activity log, does that mean I'm Ok..I mean it was only put in once for a few seconds..when the update does come out I can probably still update without worry right?
The data's still sent to them. Also, it's still in the daily log, from where it can't be deleted.

But I wouldn't worry about it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bricking 3DS will upset some user (not majority of 3DS users are using flashcarts). Though Nintendo can program 3DS to brick the flashcart itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay