gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
gamefan5 said:
Well, since we pretty much agree that it is used for fear and that we don't believe that Ninty will brick the 3DSes, will this thread close? 'Cause I don't see why it should go any longer...
No, the discussion's not over, and moreover, nothing has been confirmed or unconfirmed.
Ok, I see.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tux' said:
mysticwaterfall said:
Does anybody even read anymore? This is the same stupid notice that has been posted numerous times this thread. It's not proof of anything other then fear mongering. If people thought for a single second about this, they would realize that the only things that are possibly going to happen are

a) banning from online stuff
b) voiding your warranty
c) mario looking down at you in shame

As has been previously noted, if Nintendo bricks your console, you have no incentive to get more games, and the negative publicity causes lost sales. And as I have previously noted, as long as you update your card after your 3DS, there is no way they can do anything.
That would be awesome.
That worst than getting your console brick.
rofl.gif

But for real that probably all they can do A) and B).

Probably more likely B).

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't have my 3DS yet but I did recieve two of the games so far.
There is a warning on the back of the game package though that reads:
"Important! Read the Nintendo 3DS operations manual before setup or use of your system.
This product contains techinical protection measures. Use of an unauthorized device or any
unauthorized techinical modification to your Nintendo 3DS system, WILL RENDER THIS GAME
AND/OR YOUR SYSTEM UNPLAYABLE"

Weather or not this is true, it is stated on the software package. So it is more like
try it at your own risk.

The games that was on was Rayman 3D & Asphalt 3D both by UBISOFT.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the online service's is still good. So are u guys saying it must be one of the following?

A) Flashcards work + banned from all online services + genuine games work
B) Flashcards dont work + online service still avaliable + genuine games work

I hope its like the DSi, where u can still use flashcards AND genuine games AND online services

*fingers crossed*

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haddad said:
I think the online service's is still good. So are u guys saying it must be one of the following?

I hope its like the DSi, where u can still use flashcards AND genuine games AND online services

*fingers crossed*
Well what Nintendo is saying will happen is that you will not be able to use your 3DS at all, as in it will not turn on. There have been no confirmations, though, and it's likely that it is a scare tactic.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
haddad said:

*fingers crossed*
Well what Nintendo is saying will happen is that you will not be able to use your 3DS at all, as in it will not turn on. There have been no confirmations, though, and it's likely that it is a scare tactic.
But some people are taking this as if items brick the 3DS that Nintendo is remotely bricking.

Which of course is not true.

Other words Nintendo saying if use something that not approve by them it will brick. Not saying we (Nintendo) going to brick it, but the item(s) you used will.

"Will" there to grab you attention.

Narblet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've been lurking around these forums, and guys if Rydian's answer doesn't convince you that Nintendo isn't going to do anything, then there are 4 simple things you can do:
1. Don't connect to the internet(If you want to really be safe)
2. Don't install the updates that come
3. Wait for someone to figure out where these logs are hidden, and finds a way to erase them.
4. Take a step into reality, and believe that this is false. And, you could sue nintendo just incase they do this, because you could use SEP or VP to have a phone in that flash-cart. You could only be using this cart for emergency calls in wifi ranges, for those moments. That's a valid excuse, and if nintendo does brick the 3ds(I know they won't), then just take your flashcart, and delete remove all the games, hide them on your computer, and install the phone-brews.
^^...Hope this helped settle some people down
nayps3.gif

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jan1tor said:
"Important! Read the Nintendo 3DS operations manual before setup or use of your system.
This product contains techinical protection measures. Use of an unauthorized device or any
unauthorized techinical modification to your Nintendo 3DS system, WILL RENDER THIS GAME

Weather or not this is true, it is stated on the software package. So it is more like
try it at your own risk.

Besides, has any thought of the idea that this will just pertain to 3DS games(If flashcarts come out for it?) and not regular DS games... Because you never know they want to keep their 3DS games on high security and it is kind of impossible to repair the damages of piracy on older systems. Perhaps they will just ban people when 3DS flashcarts that play 3DS games come out? Maybe they will just leave the old DS Games and let pirates play online still?

Basically what I've been seeing here is they are way more protective about 3DS games than anything else, perhaps they have given up hope on DS games and will not ban? Just curious, what do you people think?

Narblet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tux' said:
Jan1tor said:

try it at your own risk.

Besides, has any thought of the idea that this will just pertain to 3DS games(If flashcarts come out for it?) and not regular DS games... Because you never know they want to keep their 3DS games on high security and it is kind of impossible to repair the damages of piracy on older systems. Perhaps they will just ban people when 3DS flashcarts that play 3DS games come out? Maybe they will just leave the old DS Games and let pirates play online still?

Basically what I've been seeing here is they are way more protective about 3DS games than anything else, perhaps they have given up hope on DS games and will not ban? Just curious, what do you people think?
I think it all depends on how they'll render the game to be useless, if it's not a scare tactic. If it's internet-wise, they'd have to update their db, and logs to check for all the normal nds games. If it's already in the system, then it'll only pertain to 3DS games.
Edit: There's also something else I've noticed. The final part of that statement, "System unplayable," if nintendo is in no way connected to the game companies...how would they use their games to brick a 3DS? Unless, they where fail enough to have coded every game to have some auto-brick feature, to scan the 3DS, and then detect any changes. But we all know, nintendo is not capable of that.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MakiManPR said:

Look at the title though, "Pirating 3DS Games so does this mean when the 3DS games get dumped, they will start doing something? And I love it how it has no source and it has no evidence to prove that Nintendo will actually do that. It's just a scare tactic with better wording than previous warnings.

Mestizo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned earlier with the PS3, it is illegal for a company to release code that can potentially damage their product. Such code could mistake a legit game for a pirated copy, or the consumer could mistakenly play a bootleg copy. If the hardware developer is aware of this code, then THEY are responsible for the broken hardware, regardless of modifications (unless the modifications are the cause of the hardware failure, i.e. modchips or poor soldering)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't have much to say that's not in Rydian's awesome post.
But my opinion is that Nintendo has much more pride and self-respect than to brick their own consoles on purpose. The thing we need to worry about is if they choose to brick the flash carts we use. If they do, I don't see what legal options we have, and the flash cart makers sure as hell can't bring Nintendo to court for this.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
But my opinion is that Nintendo has much more pride and self-respect than to brick their own consoles on purpose. The thing we need to worry about is if they choose to brick the flash carts we use. If they do, I don't see what legal options we have, and the flash cart makers sure as hell can't bring Nintendo to court for this.

But how would they go accomplishing this?

And I'm pretty sure the most action they will take will be banning users from WFC or whatever you want to call it.

P.S. I bet Nintendo is watching this thread and having a ball looking at our responses.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im sure this only relates to 3ds flash carts etc
the new ap could be a certin hidden code that legit carts have and, when not found, it rewrites the cart with zeros, thus bricking it. there are problably more ap measures too.

there is not much that can be done with ds though due to the tech for its ap

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:

They can only potentially brick the flash cart if it's detected in the first place. So, if you just waited to use it after each system update until the card was updated, your still fine. It's impossible to retroactively check if you used a flashcart, only to detect if the system blocked one. Even if there's in game checks of 3DS games (which would make sense) it wouldn't change anything for future cards.

Assuming of course, Nintendo did any of this in the first place. The Wii updates notably only disable things like the homebrew channel and what not when you install them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
How is it possible to 3DS detect if we are using a nintendo bactery or not?Modern batteries are "smart", for example the PSP reads the battery's serial number and attempts to boot into service mode based on it, and there's lots of other new machines that can pull extra info based on charging and such.

Jayc said:
I'm just wondering about Rydian's second post, specifically the part about the software being licensed to the end user. Isn't the software provided under a TOS?No, because the software itself is not a service, it's a product you're licensing the use of. Updates to the software is a service, and the ability for it to connect to Nintendo's servers is a service, but the software itself functioning on it's own within the hardware is not a service, it's a licensed good.

Jayc said:
On one hand, it appears that rendering the OS useless constitutes as damage to your device because you can no longer use it as it was intended to. On the other hand, you don't own the OS, so Nntendo can freely modify it. I can't reconcile the two... can anyone clarify?It really depends. In the past companies could stay clear of issues like that as game systems weren't really seen akin to PCs, but they're getting closer and closer each generation. And of course it depends where the case was tried and all that jazz.

gamefan5 said:
It has great uses like homebrew. But you should know that they won't care for that.Nintendo ignoring the possibility of homebrew on flash carts does not mean that laws and court cases will ignore it. Nintendo is not law.

L-Lawliet said:
Can a bricked console be fixed? I've never had to worry about it before.
By the original company, yes. By normal users, right now no (though people like deadlyfoez are quickly looking into ways to get data sheets for the 3DS so they can attempt to make dumping/unbricking procedures).

QUOTE(gamefan5 @ Mar 23 2011, 07:54 PM)
Well, since we pretty much agree that it is used for fear and that we don't believe that Ninty will brick the 3DSes, will this thread close? 'Cause I don't see why it should go any longer...
If this thread was closed people would go and re-post the same damn links over and over in other threads.

QUOTE(DeMoN @ Mar 23 2011, 11:20 PM)
The thing we need to worry about is if they choose to brick the flash carts we use. If they do, I don't see what legal options we have, and the flash cart makers sure as hell can't bring Nintendo to court for this.
A very interesting proposition, but that's something I'd expect out of Sony moreso than Nintendo.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tux' said:

As I said before, this is exactly what I think. There's really no point in Nintendo expending any money or effort to block existing flashcarts. It won't stop anything because people can just use the older DS systems to still play flashcarts. I think all these warning only pertains to 3DS games, in fact it even sounds like there may be something in the game carts themselves that may disable them if you try to dump them. Looking forward to see what all the talented hackers find when they start to analyze the system and game carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...