elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine said he heard that TV makers were working on a 3DTV that didn't require glasses to be worn. He has to be wrong, correct? That is not possible physically... yet. Anyways has anyone else heard of this from a legit source? Thanks.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
elmoreas said:
A friend of mine said he heard that TV makers were working on a 3DTV that didn't require glasses to be worn. He has to be wrong, correct? That is not possible physically... yet. Anyways has anyone else heard of this from a legit source? Thanks.
Yep, it's true, it was on the news here, they've been planning it since they released original 3D T.V's (ones with glasses) And they only recently got it in the works. I don't know how they'll do it but the nintendo 3DS has done it, so they will do it aswell.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
they're working on a TV with 3D without glasses...
however the 3D effect will only be visible using special contact lenses
tongue.gif

MrCooper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
tongue.gif
Wouldn't that be a more complicated version of wearing the glasses. The only way that would be any advancement is if the contacts could be worn while you weren't watching TV, but that wouldn't work because the lens that creates the artificial depth blurs your vision slightly.
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MrCooper said:
Costello said:
tongue.gif
Wouldn't that be a more complicated version of wearing the glasses. The only way that would be any advancement is if the contacts could be worn while you weren't watching TV, but that wouldn't work because the lens that creates the artificial depth blurs your vision slightly.
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif

Pretty sure that was a joke...
tongue.gif

Anyway, you have to be pretty close to the 3DS to see 3D. Also, parralax barriers need to be small screens ATM AFAIK... Woo acronyms
biggrin.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem with a tv with this technology, is every one has to sit in the same exact spot/area
move slightly away from that spot and the 3d effect is lost

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrCooper said:
I would like a link because that is not physically possible for a TV to do this. The only reason that 3D works is because one lens of the glasses allows you to see the picture and the other creates an artificial depth.

umm...3ds? ok its not a tv but scale it up no reason it would nt work

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
MrCooper said:
one lens of the glasses allows you to see the picture and the other creates an artificial depth.
QUOTE(MrCooper @ Sep 29 2010, 04:15 PM) the lens that creates the artificial depth blurs your vision slightly.
Wait, what? Could you explain that? How does that work?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Joe88 said:
the problem with a tv with this technology, is every one has to sit in the same exact spot/area

I take it you never saw an early LCD TV?

Still three options
1) True video glasses- some exist but nothing has got beyond (expensive) toy stage yet
2) Eye tracking projection- given you can barely track a finger unaided....
3) Lenticular screens- this is what the 3ds uses and it works fairly well. Truth be told I am actually quite shocked the makers went for polarised or shutter glasses when this has been kicking around for years (those little "moving" images you got in cereal boxes- same idea but considerably less advanced).

Frankly I find 3d almost as much of a gimmick as what we are told counts as HD.

Also http://darkfader.net/3dstereo/

MrCooper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
MrCooper said:
one lens of the glasses allows you to see the picture and the other creates an artificial depth.
QUOTE(MrCooper @ Sep 29 2010, 04:15 PM) the lens that creates the artificial depth blurs your vision slightly.
Try putting 3D glasses on and look around its slightly blurry

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:

Yeah, it already exists, I've seen it with my own eyes. If your somewhere around in Tokyo go to NHK Studio Park to see it in action.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
elmoreas said:
Its not quite possible yet but they're working on it. Those are the key words there.

MrCooper said:
Veho said:
MrCooper said:
QUOTE(MrCooper @ Sep 29 2010, 04:15 PM)
the lens that creates the artificial depth blurs your vision slightly.
Try putting 3D glasses on and look around its slightly blurry
Incorrect...
3D glasses (the passive kind) work because the lenses are polarised to let only 1 orientation of light in. Vertical or Horizontal. The picture is encoded so that the image intended for one eye is only vertical and the other is only horizontal (if you wear a pair of 3D glasses and look at an LCD screen try tilting your head you'll notice the screen getting brighter or dimmer depending on how much light gets through the polarised lenses). This means your eyes see 2 different images creating a stereoscopic effect and therefore a sense depth. 3D glasses don't make everything blurry (unless they're dirty).

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3d media without filters on the eyes of the viewer can only work from a wider set of viewing angles if they provide a very large set of possible angles, which makes the media far more complex than simple stereoscopic ones. It will be more dolbysurroundscopic. Even if I do not believe even 8 angles will be enough to cover a significant field.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Jamstruth said:
Incorrect...
3D glasses (the passive kind) work because the lenses are polarised to let only 1 orientation of light in. Vertical or Horizontal. The picture is encoded so that the image intended for one eye is only vertical and the other is only horizontal (if you wear a pair of 3D glasses and look at an LCD screen try tilting your head you'll notice the screen getting brighter or dimmer depending on how much light gets through the polarised lenses). This means your eyes see 2 different images creating a stereoscopic effect and therefore a sense depth. 3D glasses don't make everything blurry (unless they're dirty).
Thank you. I was about to explain that. How did the claim that one 3D glasses lens lets in the picture and the other somehow creates depth go unchallenged that long?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny