3 TB Hard Drive Conversion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Prior22, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    I have a three TB external hard drive I would like to convert to fat32 (for use with a ps3). However most conversion programs can't handle hard drives of this size. Could someone recommend to me a program which could convert large external hard drives to fat32 format? Thanks.

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Easeus partition master managed my 4tb fine

Prior22 likes this.
  3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Erm... Sure?
    AFAIK FAT32 is limited by design to a maximum filesystem size of 2TB (that means each partition having a maximum of 2TB).
    I could be wrong tough.

PS: Sorry, the actual limit is 8TB... I've been wrong for so long... meh.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Dec 15, 2015
    raystriker likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Could also use Gparted, if you wanted.

5. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Alright so Easeus converted my drive into fat32 format. Multiman then proceeds to read the hard drive just fine. However when I refresh the games section no games on the drive show up Also when I go into the file manager to access the hard drive itself, when I click on the games folder the pop up box just disappears. Previously I could explore the contents of the GAMES folder.

All the games worked fine on my previous drive. They were just transferred to the new one. So my question is what could be preventing this new hard drive from being able to read the same previously working games.

Last edited by Prior22, Dec 16, 2015
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  7. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The hard drive is already listed as an MBR. As for the Allocation unit size, is that referring to cluster size? If so I remember choosing 256 kb. Why would this make a difference in terms of the ps3 being able to read the folder? I would just make the change already, however I have a fair amount of data that would need to be moved.

8. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Have you tried Webman? You could try using NTFS instead. I have read different drives seem to do better with different file systems and/or loaders.

Another thing to think about is maybe the drive needs more power to run than the PS3 provides it and it gets flaky. You should try a Y cable to provide it with more if nothing else helps.

9. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Its a brand new 3 TB WD My Passport Drive. Its not one of those old drives with multiple usb connections (or one which requires its own power supply).

10. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    That's actually the opposite of the point I was trying to make. I've read through many posts on this subject and it has helped people in your situation with portable drives because the single USB port wasn't enough to sustain the draw of power the drive required. The Passport Ultra was one in particular that was talked about.

11. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So you've read large capacity Passport drives can't read games on PS3's? Was there any sort of remedy for the problem? I'm a bit confused because the PS3 reads the drive just fine. However when I attempt to click on the GAMES folder, from the file manager, the pop up box simply disappears (rather than being able to explore the contents).

Also does this same issue occur with PS4's?