3 TB Hard Drive Conversion

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a three TB external hard drive I would like to convert to fat32 (for use with a ps3). However most conversion programs can't handle hard drives of this size. Could someone recommend to me a program which could convert large external hard drives to fat32 format? Thanks.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Erm... Sure?
AFAIK FAT32 is limited by design to a maximum filesystem size of 2TB (that means each partition having a maximum of 2TB).
I could be wrong tough.

PS: Sorry, the actual limit is 8TB... I've been wrong for so long... meh.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: raystriker

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easeus partition master managed my 4tb fine
Could also use Gparted, if you wanted.

Alright so Easeus converted my drive into fat32 format. Multiman then proceeds to read the hard drive just fine. However when I refresh the games section no games on the drive show up Also when I go into the file manager to access the hard drive itself, when I click on the games folder the pop up box just disappears. Previously I could explore the contents of the GAMES folder.

All the games worked fine on my previous drive. They were just transferred to the new one. So my question is what could be preventing this new hard drive from being able to read the same previously working games.

Last edited by Prior22,

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so Easeus converted my drive into fat32 format. Multiman then proceeds to read the hard drive just fine. However when I refresh the games section no games on the drive show up Also when I go into the file manager to access the hard drive itself, when I click on the games folder the pop up box just disappears. Previously I could explore the contents of the GAMES folder.

All the games worked fine on my previous drive. They were just transferred to the new one. So my question is what could be preventing this new hard drive from being able to read the same previously working games.

The hard drive is already listed as an MBR. As for the Allocation unit size, is that referring to cluster size? If so I remember choosing 256 kb. Why would this make a difference in terms of the ps3 being able to read the folder? I would just make the change already, however I have a fair amount of data that would need to be moved.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Webman? You could try using NTFS instead. I have read different drives seem to do better with different file systems and/or loaders.

Another thing to think about is maybe the drive needs more power to run than the PS3 provides it and it gets flaky. You should try a Y cable to provide it with more if nothing else helps.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Webman? You could try using NTFS instead. I have read different drives seem to do better with different file systems and/or loaders.

Another thing to think about is maybe the drive needs more power to run than the PS3 provides it and it gets flaky. You should try a Y cable to provide it with more if nothing else helps.

Its a brand new 3 TB WD My Passport Drive. Its not one of those old drives with multiple usb connections (or one which requires its own power supply).

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually the opposite of the point I was trying to make. I've read through many posts on this subject and it has helped people in your situation with portable drives because the single USB port wasn't enough to sustain the draw of power the drive required. The Passport Ultra was one in particular that was talked about.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually the opposite of the point I was trying to make. I've read through many posts on this subject and it has helped people in your situation with portable drives because the single USB port wasn't enough to sustain the draw of power the drive required. The Passport Ultra was one in particular that was talked about.

So you've read large capacity Passport drives can't read games on PS3's? Was there any sort of remedy for the problem? I'm a bit confused because the PS3 reads the drive just fine. However when I attempt to click on the GAMES folder, from the file manager, the pop up box simply disappears (rather than being able to explore the contents).

Also does this same issue occur with PS4's?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety