Hacking 3 questions!

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. There are sites that use paypal. I've used NDSgamer.com twice and received both products on time. YMMV, though. Look on shoptemp for more retailers.

2. DSTwo is the way to go for maximum support and features. If you're on a budget, though, R4i 3DS Gold for sure.

3. Yes, it will. I personally never order cards with the card. Also, Class 4 Sandisk is recommended. You'd have to download the kernel yourself though, from the respective website the flashcard is from.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey guys, I've been itching for a new flashcart for awhile, so I got a few questions:

1) Are there any sites that accept PayPal?

Since I don't have a job, the way I make money is in the form of PayPal funds, so I need a site that accepts PayPal.

2) R4i3DS Gold, or Acekard?

I checked on some sites, and they sell the Acekard without a MicroSD for $10.00. Whereas they sell the R4i3DS Gold for about $18.00.

Now, I've heard the R4i3DS Gold is the CM Punk of 3DS flashcarts... The Best In The World... BUT, I think the Acekard would be better for me since it's cheaper.

How good is the Acekard compared to the R4?

3) If I buy a flashcart without a MicroSD, and bought a MicroSD cheaper at a retail store, will it work in the flashcart?

Thank yer kindly!

1. No. READ: http://gbatemp.net/threads/paypal-cracking-down-on-flashcart-stores.324432/
2. you can get a R4 clone that is up to date or get a DSTWO or a Gateway flashcart.
3. yes

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) Yes, Many site accept paypal. Actually, it seems that there has been a recent thread of sites no-longer supporting paypal. There are many alternatives however and I'm sure you could find a way. :)

2.) Neither, honestly. Spend the extra money and get yourself a Supercard DS Two. It's the best product currently on the market plays every game, almost all homebrew, supports many GBA homebrew and games and works on the latest firmwares of the DSi and 3DS. Acekard is nice and all, and that particular version of R4 is still supported, but neither live up to the SCDS2's respectable track record. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST choose between the Acekard 2i and the R4i3DS Gold, please consider the following:
a.) Acekard is no-longer officially supported, however the AKAIO software is regularly updated. A great choice if you have an old DS, DS lite or a DSi.
b.) R43DS is still being supported, although irregularly. I'm led to believe that this card is compatible with the ever-so-wonderful WOOD firmware, and is also compatible with most, if not all, of the current 3DS models and all of the older ds models. Of this, I am not 100% certain however.
c.) Please note that neither card plays 3ds warez or 3ds homebrew. Older NDS content only.

3.) Yes, although many online retailers offer cards at respectable prices. It's also recommended to get a micro SD card reader of some kind. USB is recommended.

Iamapirate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bah. Do any R4s come with that reader? I had one, but I think I smashed it or something.

Also, what the hell is a R4i Gold Pro? Is that any better?

Iamapirate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is confusing me!!!

Ace3ds, Duel Core, DS2, Acekard, R4i3ds SDHC, r4i Gold, R4i Gold Pro wtf!?

I'm thinking about the R4i Gold Pro. can somebody tel me about this one please?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is what the original R4 looks like: http://www.realhotstuff.com/R4DS--Original-Authentic-R4-DS-_p_10.html
The group that originally made it basically got sued out of existance by nintendo and company. It was very popular at the time.

R4 clones are modified versions that just use the name of the original R4 because it is the most recognizable name.

The R4 clones (most of them have the R4 in the name and something close to the original sticker):
Ace3DS, Duel Core, R4i 3DS SDHC, R4i Gold Pro, etc, etc.

Some clones copy other flashcart makers and just brand them as R4 [enter whatever extension here], some of these R4 clones will not be upgradeable to work on the newest 3DS firmware. This means that you will have to buy their "new" version of the flashcart that supports the newest 3DS firmware.

Flashcarts made by other groups, basically not a clone of the R4:
Acekard - Acekard is now defunct on current DSi and 3DS firmwares
DS2 - Supercard made a flashcart that has lasted several years and is upgradeable to work on the latest DSi and 3DS firmwares

There is a subforum for every group of flashcart makers here: http://gbatemp.net/forums/nds-flashcarts-and-accessories.40/
flashcarts with very low popularity tend to clumped together and fall in the last group in the subforum.

The R4i Gold Pro is going to be like your R4i SDHC.

Iamapirate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, my SDHC crapped out on me.

I'll just buy an R4 Gold because I'ma on a budget.

The DSTwo looks real nice though.

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, Class 4 Sandisk is recommended. You'd have to download the kernel yourself though, from the respective website the flashcard is from.

What's the reasoning behind that? Does Class4 solve issues that Class10 has? Higher write speed would be preferred..

veemon147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed class ratings indicate the speed of the card. Class 4 cards perform at 4 MB/s, wheras class 10 cards perform at 10 MB/s.

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Here's the important part from that Wiki article:
The speed class rating does not totally characterize card performance. Different cards of the same class may vary considerably while meeting class specifications. In addition, speed may vary markedly between writing a large amount of data to a single file (sequential access, as when a digital camera records large photographs or videos) and writing a large number of small files (a random-access use common in smartphones). One study found that, in this random-access use, some Class 2 cards achieved a write speed of 1.38 Mbit/s, while all cards tested of Class 6 or greater (and some of lower Classes; lower Class does not necessarily mean better small-file performance), including those from major manufacturers, were over 100 times slower.
Sequential access = writing NDS/3DS ROMs to microSD fast -> faster ROM copying times
Random-access = reading game data from microSD fast -> faster game loading times

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently 3DS games can go up to 8GB, and due to the 1024 division you'd need a 16GB to fit it, unless trimming it works. I think. So 16GB is probably the safest future-proof bet but 4GB would likely work for almost every rom as of yet.

But also: why Sandisk in particular? I tend to avoid the bigger name-brands due to the prevalence of knockoffs. Just preference or would any class-4 work as well?

Iamapirate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are the SDs from NDS-card.com preinstalled? Like, does it have the firmware and stuff already on it?

I'll probably buy one with the R4.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently 3DS games can go up to 8GB, and due to the 1024 division you'd need a 16GB to fit it, unless trimming it works. I think. So 16GB is probably the safest future-proof bet but 4GB would likely work for almost every rom as of yet.

But also: why Sandisk in particular? I tend to avoid the bigger name-brands due to the prevalence of knockoffs. Just preference or would any class-4 work as well?
He talking about DS games, not 3DS.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the SDs from NDS-card.com preinstalled? Like, does it have the firmware and stuff already on it?

I'll probably buy one with the R4.
It comes with firmware and kernel. From there you update it to the latest firmware. IIRC nothing else comes with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc