3.2 to 4.0 for dummies?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ATRochie, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009

3.2 to 4.0 for dummies?! by ATRochie at 4:29 AM (4,297 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. ATRochie
    OP

Newcomer ATRochie Member

United States
    I'm looking for a walkthrough for going from a 3.2 to 4.0

I currently have a 3.2 with starfall, usbloader, hbc, gammaloader, 36rev10 and everything working perfectly, but would like the added sdhc support. I keep reading about bootmii, and nand backups, and firmware updaters, and really need some simple steps to take to get my wii up to 4.0, but still have all of my current stuff working. I want to use the SD support for VC and WiiWare, and use USB loader for everything else. What steps do I take, what is bootmii? preloader? nand backups? and how do i protect all my existing apps that I love but do the update,.....please point me in the right direction in Laymans terms! Thanks alot.

2. LxTrix

Member LxTrix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. PokemonV

Newcomer PokemonV Advanced Member

Canada
  4. ATRochie
    OP

Newcomer ATRochie Member

United States
    based on your sig, you haven't even updated to 4.0, and yes I know how to search, however this information is sooo spread out all over the board, I would like to find either a place where it is all listed to easily understand it, or someone who has been through what I am trying to do and can offer me some advice.

I can't be the only person with a working 3.2 trying to go to 4.0 the most painless way possible. Please, no smarty comments and please help me if you can. Thanks again.

5. stevee

Newcomer stevee Member

United Kingdom
    Install bootmii (boot 2 if poss) and backup your nand to sd card,1 gig will do fine
    find and install ios 60 patched wad with wad manager (pm if you need this)
    Update via Nintendo then run ios downgrader OR use waninkokos firmware upgrader v4.0 and follow all the prompts.
    I updated via Nintendo and all is sweet
    The benefit of having Bootmii installed on boot2 is you can easily revert to 3.2 if anything is not working as you like it
    Starfall will not work with 4.0 so you may want to install preloader or startpatch

6. ATRochie
    OP

Newcomer ATRochie Member

United States
    thanks for the help, but i'm still a little confused about the order of things, do i do boot mii, then preloader, then update with firmware updater?? Can someone break it down in simpel steps for me>? I currently have 3.2 with starfall, HBC, USB loader, and Gamma Loader. I want to go to 4.0 the best way possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    BOOTMII FIRST.
    Take my word, you do NOT want a brick.

8. ATRochie
    OP

Newcomer ATRochie Member

United States
    so step one

1. BootMii

what next?

9. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Preloader, and then the updater. Then the IOS60 patcher.

10. amgupt01

Newcomer amgupt01 Member

United States
    Why should both BootMii AND Preloader be installed? BootMii can make the Wii boot straight into the Homebrew channel as well, right? Also, I prefer to boot into the regular System Menu rather than the Homebrew channel because my little sister uses the console as well and she might mess something up...

If I follow everything here and then do everything here (using Bannerbomb instead of the Twilight hack wherever it may say to use it) should I be set to run backups off an external USB hard drive while still being able to do stuff like buy VC games online and re-download my channels I had already purchased (I formatted my Wii)

Thanks a bunch.

11. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Yes, you should be already set up. I have a suggestion though, next time you want to link stuffs, please name what they are [​IMG]

12. amgupt01

Newcomer amgupt01 Member

United States
    Thanks! But I still don't know for sure: Should I stick with JUST bootmii and make a NAND backup in case something goes horribly wrong or should I have both bootmii AND preloader?

Also, are there any known problems with 4.0? I just want to make sure that I don't just make a stupid mistake by upgrading when I may have been better off sticking with 3.2U or upgrading to either 3.3 or 3.4...

I have another question, too: Will I be able to flash my NAND backup from right now when I have 3.2 if I don't like 4.0 and be able to successfully revert back to 3.2?

Thanks again

13. ATRochie
    OP

Newcomer ATRochie Member

United States
    so the order is???

1. Boot Mii
    2. Preloader
    3. 4.0 Updater
    4. custom IOS60

so when do you do the NAND backup? And does IOS60 make my IOS36rev10 no longer work???

14. j0k3r

Member j0k3r GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    The ReadMe says, Preloader at last. Whats the best to do now, at last or before the update to 4.0 ?

15. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    forget preloader it's useless now that bootmii is out.
    you only need to install 3 files with wad manager if you are on 3.2 and already have cios installed(and cmios if you want for gc backups).
    this is easiest to do offline imo since you have bootmii and a nand backup it will be safe to do.
    you can Google for "CIOS60HK.zip" even if you don't plan on ever using cIOScorp to play backups from disk channel it's nice to have because there is no need to pre-patch it over wifi.
    use NUS downloader to get these two files or you can google for them it's up to you.
    ios-61-v4890.wad
    Systemmenu-v417.wad (if NTSC-U is not your wii's region then you need to find the one for PAL or NTSC-J either v418 or v416 i think)
    install the files all at once with wad manger 1.4 no specific order is needed just make sure all three are installed at the same time.

you should now be on 4.0u with everything working from playing backups to loading pirated vc games from sd or sdhc cards.

this should be simple enough to follow for anyone.

16. j0k3r

Germany
    I have two wii´s. One with wiikey v1 inside without softmii (3.2E from beginning), but with USBLoaders and cIOS installed, and one without any modchip, but with softmii installed (downgraded from 3.3E to 3.2E). What is the best way for now, to bring these two systems to 4.0E ??? Is the ReadMe outdated ?

17. wolffangalchemist

United States
    do the steps above but with systemmenu-v418.wad instead of systemmenu-v417.wad and that should do it.
    google (system menu 4.0e wad) and you should find it. or use nus downloader off of wiibrew to get it.

18. j0k3r

Germany

thx thx,

Can I use the Firmware Updater 4.0 from wanikoko ???

19. wolffangalchemist

United States
    there is no need if you install those 3 wad files what you do in essence is a offline upgrade.

20. amgupt01

Newcomer amgupt01 Member

United States
    So these are the steps right?

1) Install BootMii and make a NAND backup
    2) Install cIOS30rev10 and cMIOSrev3
    3) Open HBC and start the WAD Installer
    a) Install the CIOS60BF.wad
    b) Install the System Menu v417 (for NTSC-U)
    c) Install the IOS61 v4890
    4) Party?!

After this stuff, will I be able to play backups from USB if I already have the USB Loader installed? Also, what other steps must I do to play GC backups and Wii backups burned to a DVD disk?

Thanks again