Hardware 2DS water damage - replacement PCB freeze

d1ckb31n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I've a water damaged GBA. Several parts on the PCB seems to be missing due to short circuit. No charging indicator etc. So I'd guess beyond repair, at least for my technical options.
I replaced the damaged PCB with a spare from eBay.

The device will start just fine but will freeze (selected icon stops rotating, music still playing in background) as soon as I start a program (settings etc.).
What I've read so far is that the software might be corrupt.

As I can't do anything without freezing I can't connect to my WiFi
Recovery doesn't seem to be working/installed either as D-Pad Up, L, R and A while powering on leaves me with a black screen.

Is there anything else I could do or is this a hopeless case?

Thanks

d1ckb31n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As there was no reply yet and I couldn't find any additional information my question is whether I could replace the missing parts on the the water damage PCB. See picture...
Does anybody know whats missing there?
I'm willing to "slaughter" the working/freezing pcb to get the parts (Resistors, Condensators if I understand correctly) from there. Will they fit? There are a lot more on the "new" pcb but this seems to be an older revision as it states PWB/CPU/AU-C/FTR-11 Side A/B 09 while the old, damaged one says PWB/CPU/AU-C/FTR-20 Side A/B 14

Really appreciate any help/hints on that.

Attachments

• 2020-10-11 17_15_11-Window.png
    2020-10-11 17_15_11-Window.png
    895.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 2020-10-11 19_08_28-Window.png
    2020-10-11 19_08_28-Window.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 152
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tho ones labelled with C and brown colored are ceramic capacitors while the ones with R and black are resistors. The jotted square labeled DA5 doesn't come with anything soldered onto it.

You can measure the values of the neighboring resistors using a multimeter as reference, and buy replacements at digikey.com , mouser.co.uk , or newark.com. I hope you know how to fine tip solder..

No clue as to how to measure capacitors at that size (SMD). Probably have to eyeball the ones with the same footprint that are still on motherboard and take them off to get good capacitance readings.

You should be able to swap in a newer production o2DS motherboard to a older made o2DS. The only thing to watch out for is if it was the other way around where older o2DS has a separate WiFi module board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...