Hacking 2DS softlocks or crashes when trying to launch anything from the home menu

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope Nintendo Network of Europe isn't down for maintenance. Yah, don't work with electronics while they're running, battery connected, and charger plugged in.

At some point, you'll have no choice but to turn it off. Report back if the o2DS still boots to HOME Menu despite the failed firmware update.
Nintendo of Europe is reacting normally. Just updated a 3DS from 11.7 to 11.8 one (literally!) minute ago.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I turned the 2DS off and now I get this error when turning on the system

Attachments

• 2DS_3.jpg
    2DS_3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm in godmode9, should I restore the NAND backup?
Proceed with NAND recovery and then check HOME Menu again. If it crashes still, worry about that later.

Disassemble the 2DS, remove the battery, and let it self discharge for 1 or 2 minutes (with the Power button holding/pressing trick).

Attempt flip lock piece insertion.

Reactions: MrMcTiller
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the DS lock piece works but the system still crashes or softlocks when I try to launch something

okay, let's go through this hardware checklist once more so we know nothing else is broken. Some of these you might not be able to answer.

Green = good / Red = bad / Orange = unknown

I've already colored most of these assuming you haven't noticed anything else amiss.
  1. Circle Pad
  2. D-Pad
  3. C-Stick
  4. L/R (and LZ/ZR) shoulder buttons
  5. Speaker(s)
  6. Headphone jack (does not matter at this moment)
  7. Volume slider switch
  8. Start
  9. Select
  10. HOME
  11. Power
  12. YXBA
  13. 3D slider switch
  14. Top LCD
  15. Bottom LCD
  16. Front & Rear Cameras
  17. Digitizer
  18. SD card reader
  19. Game cart reader (does not matter at this moment)
    • * Try inserting a cart in to see if 3DS recognizes the game.
  20. Battery
  21. Charging Port
  22. Sleep Switch [as per post 53]
  23. WiFi Module (baked in or separate)
I'm most concern about are the cameras as there's no way to test them. You can try launching them with the L + R button combo, but you'll likely freeze the o2DS without knowing for sure these are bad.

If your 3DS firmware is currently lower than 11.8, try updating through the Recovery Mode again.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
okay, let's go through this hardware checklist once more so we know nothing else is broken. Some of these you might not be able to answer.

Green = good / Red = bad / Orange = unknown

I've already colored most of these assuming you haven't noticed anything else amiss.
  1. Circle Pad
  2. D-Pad
  3. C-Stick
  4. L/R (and LZ/ZR) shoulder buttons
  5. Speaker(s)
  6. Headphone jack (does not matter at this moment)
  7. Volume slider switch
  8. Start
  9. Select
  10. HOME
  11. Power
  12. YXBA
  13. 3D slider switch
  14. Top LCD
  15. Bottom LCD
  16. Front & Rear Cameras
  17. Digitizer
  18. SD card reader
  19. Game cart reader (does not matter at this moment)
    • * Try inserting a cart in to see if 3DS recognizes the game.
  20. Battery
  21. Charging Port
  22. Sleep Switch
  23. WiFi Module (baked in or separate)
I'm most concern about are the cameras as there's no way to test them. You can try launching them with the L + R button combo, but you'll likely freeze the o2DS without knowing for sure these are bad.

If you're 3DS firmware is currently lower than 11.8, try updating through the Recovery Mode again.
Game card reader and sleep switch are working
I have no idea what the firmware version and I don't know how to check...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game card reader and sleep switch are working
I have no idea what the firmware version and I don't know how to check...

Go ahead and attempt updating in Recovery Mode. You'll know if it's already on the latest 11.8 if the update doesn't go through.

- If it goes through updating and fixes your 2DS, great.

- If it doesn't allow you to update, try that 11.5.0 CTRTransfer and Recovery Mode updating again.

- If that doesn't work either, try 11.5.0 CTRTransfer but this time with Decrypt9WIP and Recovery Mode updating again.

- If that STILL doesn't work, you'll need to try 9.2.0 CTRTransfer with GodMode9. Repeat with Decrypt9WIP if the former doesn't work.

If all else fails, we have to go with the assumption something else is broken within that 2DS. Camera assembly is suspect #1.

Reactions: FateForWindows

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Go ahead and attempt updating in Recovery Mode. You'll know if it's already on the latest 11.8 if the update doesn't go through.

- If it goes through updating and fixes your 2DS, great.

- If it doesn't allow you to update, try that 11.5.0 CTRTransfer and Recovery Mode updating again.

- If that doesn't work either, try 11.5.0 CTRTransfer but this time with Decrypt9WIP and Recovery Mode updating again.

- If that STILL doesn't work, you'll need to try 9.2.0 CTRTransfer with GodMode9. Repeat with Decrypt9WIP if the former doesn't work.

If all else fails, we have to go with the assumption something else is broken within that 2DS. Camera assembly is suspect #1.
I should try updating with recovery mode again even though it froze the last time?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should try updating with recovery mode again even though it froze the last time?
Look in HOME Menu after CTRTransfer and see if the bug goes away. If it's still present, try updating in Recovery Mode again.

If you manage to not crash using the 2DS but still on older firmware, there's another method in updating to 11.8 without Internet.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried updating from recovery mode again and it worked this time but the 2DS still crashes and softlocks
At this point, I don't think your problem is software in nature. That leaves us with:

Front camera (requires soldering)
Dual rear cameras

Examine your rear camera assembly for any breakage in the flex cable. Use a magnifying glass to look. Even if the part does not have signs of damage, the cameras may have prematurely malfunctioned from normal usage.

Why are the cameras suspects you might ask?

There were incidents of 3DS systems booting with Black Screens of Death with sound in HOME Menu, yet have correctly working Recovery Mode that allowed updating after CTRTransfer. This was most commonly experienced by those with n3DSXL but may have also occurred with o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.

For the longest time, no one knew what the problem was and how to fix this strange BSoD brick as software based recovery methods did not work on what seemingly appeared as softbricks.

This was until @gisel213 shared his discovery that the cameras were at fault. Thanks to him, he also shared his finding that a temporary remedy of disconnecting the camera assembly allowed affected n3DSXL to correctly boot into HOME Menu and work, so long as your game or title didn't require cameras... This is one of the rare components that can be disconnected, at least for the n3DSXL.

You can read the backstory from this (and the other 13 threads):

Perhaps your o2DS issue might be related if the cameras are semi-working.

What you can try.
Disconnect the rear cameras flex cable and see if the o2DS (1) boots to HOME Menu and (2) not crash when launching games or apps. This idea may not work for the o2DS like how it does on the n3DSXL.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At this point, I don't think your problem is software in nature. That leaves us with:

Front camera (requires soldering)
Dual rear cameras

Examine your rear camera assembly for any breakage in the flex cable. Use a magnifying glass to look. Even if the part does not have signs of damage, the cameras may have prematurely malfunctioned from normal usage.

Why are the cameras suspects you might ask?

There were incidents of 3DS systems booting with Black Screens of Death with sound in HOME Menu, yet have correctly working Recovery Mode that allowed updating after CTRTransfer. This was most commonly experienced by those with n3DSXL but may have also occurred with o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.

For the longest time, no one knew what the problem was and how to fix this strange BSoD brick as software based recovery methods did not work on what seemingly appeared as softbricks.

This was until @gisel213 shared his discovery that the cameras were at fault. Thanks to him, he also shared his finding that a temporary remedy of disconnecting the camera assembly allowed affected n3DSXL to correctly boot into HOME Menu and work, so long as your game or title didn't require cameras... This is one of the rare components that can be disconnected, at least for the n3DSXL.

You can read the backstory from this (and the other 13 threads):

Perhaps your o2DS issue might be related if the cameras are semi-working.

What you can try.
Disconnect the rear cameras flex cable and see if the o2DS (1) boots to HOME Menu and (2) not crash when launching games or apps. This idea may not work for the o2DS like how it does on the n3DSXL.
I had the rear cameras unplugged the entire time so it’s easier for me to remove the back cover, could any issues be caused by this? The 2DS was crashing and softlocking before I opened it and removed the cameras for the first time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the rear cameras unplugged the entire time so it’s easier for me to remove the back cover, could any issues be caused by this? The 2DS was crashing and softlocking before I opened it and removed the cameras for the first time
Examine the front camera solder mounting points if they broke off. There should be four (4).
o2-DS-front-camera.png

Reconnect the rear cameras flex cable and check HOME Menu again.

If it's still crashing, you'll have to decide whether to:
  1. Continue repairs with replacement parts for both the front and rear cameras. There's no way to be 100% sure which is bad and whether they're really at fault.
  2. Buy a replacement o2DS motherboard along with WiFi board and wire antenna. This if you believe your current o2DS mobo is a lost cause.
  3. Sell the o2DS as-is for parts and buy a different 2DS/3DS system. Probably the easiest and quickest but not the cheapest. This depends on your standard of living at Poland.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay