Homebrew 2DS says my SD Card is write protected when it's not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GalladeGuy
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 22,728
  • Replies Replies 19

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
2,795
Trophies
2
XP
3,390
Country
United States
I'm trying to follow this guide: https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware-game-injection) but my 2DS is saying my SD Card is write protected. I can put files on it with my PC and Godmode9 was able to make a NAND backup, so what's going on? It says I need to transfer my DSiWare game to my SD Card to transfer it, but it won't let me even though it isn't really write protected. It started saying it was write protected when I accidentally put my SD Card in the wrong way. I have tried with other cards and it still doesn't work. What do I do?
 
Try placing sticky tape over the write protect switch, so the edge is now a smooth straight line.
I was going to suggest this (and, heck, it might work) but his SD card works in GodMode9, so it sounds like a weird software thing.
My consensus was "that's weird, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
Sorry i'm not able to help
 
Last edited by ,
  • Like
Reactions: Quantumcat
Maybe the card slot got damaged when you inserted the sdcard wrong. Some pins inside could've been bent.

Remember to verify your NAND backup after making it. Would avoid many problems afterwards.
 
When you hold down start when booting, can you get into godmode9? If you can't then it's a hardware issue. If you can it's something with the firmware.
 
When you hold down start when booting, can you get into godmode9? If you can't then it's a hardware issue. If you can it's something with the firmware.
I can get into Godmode9 just fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe the card slot got damaged when you inserted the sdcard wrong. Some pins inside could've been bent.

Remember to verify your NAND backup after making it. Would avoid many problems afterwards.
Could I replace/repair it somehow? I'm fairly confident in my soldering skills if I need to put in a new one.
 
I can get into Godmode9 just fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------


Could I replace/repair it somehow? I'm fairly confident in my soldering skills if I need to put in a new one.
That's odd. That means that the 3ds is able to read the card fine. Im not an expert on sd cards but im not sure entirely what's going on. If i were to make a guess though, the 3ds firmware performs some sort of extra check that isnt checked before the firmware is loaded. Your sd card might be failing that second check, but i could be completely wrong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User
Could I replace/repair it somehow? I'm fairly confident in my soldering skills if I need to put in a new one.

You can replace it if needed, just get the replacement part before even starting to pry open the 3DS.

Have you already made sure it's not the sd card failing? Try checking it with h2testw software.
 
You can replace it if needed, just get the replacement part before even starting to pry open the 3DS.

Have you already made sure it's not the sd card failing? Try checking it with h2testw software.
I have said multiple times now that I have tried multiple SD Cards and the same thing happened. >.>
 
I have the exact same problem. I know I'm very late but for anyone else who cares you most likely damaged your SD card slot. You can go get it repaired or if you're tech-savvy enough, try replacing it yourself. Also, I recommend trusted third-party repairs, Nintendo very much overprices it. That's about the only thing you can do.
 
I was actually able to fix this with nothing more than a sewing needle. On the side of the slot where the write protect switch would be there is a small copper filament. This filament gets bent downward from repetitive use or inserting the sd card backwards. In my 2ds this was stuck about halfway down. I am guessing when it makes contact with the board, it reads write protection enabled.

Using the sewing needle, I was able to bend the filament back upward to the roof of the slot enough that when I slotted the SD card, it was now writable.

Hope this helps!

I suppose removing the filament would also be an option but I didn't have forceps small enough to get in the slot without de-soldering and removing.
 
Can I just cut the write protected thingy or while it cause a bigger problem because now matter ho high I raise it.It goes back down when I put the sad card in
 
Can I just cut the write protected thingy or while it cause a bigger problem because now matter ho high I raise it.It goes back down when I put the sad card in
I would try testing the card with H2TestW first before performing a hardware modification on the card. It's possible the card is corrupted, not that the physical switch is broken.
 
Can I just cut the write protected thingy or while it cause a bigger problem because now matter ho high I raise it.It goes back down when I put the sad card in
That would make it permanently write protected.
Get another SD adapter, they're dirt cheap. You can tape over the switch, that works too.
 
I just opened it up and it turns out the metal cover that tops the sad card slot has completely popped off and I’m sure the write switch thingy is above the sd card.
image.jpg
 
Last edited by Hehehhe,

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted