2ds no longer boots properly after installing arm9loaderhax

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HoboEater, Sep 12, 2016.

1. HoboEater
    OP

HoboEater Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Canada
    So basically I've been having the same problem as the OP in this thread:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/2ds-wont-boot.433654/

I've been following the guide at https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(arm9loaderhax) and
    after installing arm9loaderhax (Section IV), my 2DS gets a black screen when powered on and shuts off after a few seconds. Booting without the SD card causes it to the same but shut off even faster.

I've tried multiple SD cards and it doesn't seem to change anything. I can however boot into Luma or hourglass if I delete the config.bin.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    The fact that you can boot payloads or the luma config, also the 3ds shutting itself off quickly with no sd card inserted, proves that you did not brick at least. Have you restored your nand backup from earlier in the guide yet?

3. HoboEater
    OP

HoboEater Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Canada
    That's really good news. Do I just copy and paste the backed up files9 into my SD card?

4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    And boot into hourglass9 and restore your NAND backup.

If it was a problem being on 2.1 though you'd get an error message saying an old firm has been detected.

Did you try formatting the SD cards and copying fresh files onto them? And are they 32GB or less?

5. The Koopa Kingdom

The Koopa Kingdom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Castle Grounds
    Not necessarily, a 2DS I A9LH'd wouldn't show the old firm error message despite being on 2.1, it would just black screen.

I just continued with the guide, restoring the backup, and that worked out fine.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    It unlikely that the problem is the sd card, or it would probably have trouble loading the payloads and luma config.

You should have a NAND.bin file and a Nand.bin.sha or something close to that file name. You should have been prompted to make the backup when flashing over the ctrnand image for 2.1. If you follow thw guide and dont skip steps it would tell you to both make and restore this backup at the corrwct points in time. I assume you didnt finish the guide yet, right?

7. HoboEater
    OP

HoboEater Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Canada
    Yes this is what happend to me as well. I continued the guide but after restoring, it wouldn't work anymore.

Anyways I'm restoring my backup NAND files in hourglass right now. If all goes well, do I just reformat the SD card afterwards and start back from the first section in part 3 of the guide?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No luck. Restoring sysNAND using my backup doesn't seem to have changed much.

8. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Hmm, did you check the NAND file size with those in the guide? Its possible that you got a bad dump. If thats the case you can flash a ctrnand image on 9.2, then update from there. Just found out you can do that from another thread i read today. Ill link it if i can find it.

9. xyxa

xyxa Dokoro

Aug 24, 2016
    Somalia
    MadMageKefka likes this.
  10. HoboEater
    OP

HoboEater Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Canada
    The ctrtransfer worked! Everything booted properly and is working well. I'm a little scared to do the next step where it says:

"Update your CFW SysNAND to the latest version using system settings"

In my system settings it says "Sys 9.2.0-20U", but I remember that CFW's were supposed to have a different prefix? Is it safe to update?

Thanks so much for your help everyone !

11. nyaadono

nyaadono Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    I literally just joined but yes, the prefix is the "Sys" part of "Sys 9.2.0-20U" And it's safe to update, don't worry I was scared too lol.

12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    "Ver." Is what it says when you have a stock system. You're all good :-)

13. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    The guide says in all bold: "Yes this is safe, stop asking!" ....what do you think? Sorry to be rude but come on.... At least read the darn thing....

14. HoboEater
    OP

HoboEater Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Canada
    Haha sorry, my bad memory made me think that Sys was the stock prefix. Thanks for the clarifications!

15. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Since you have a9lh u cant boot without luma or some other cfw and luma protects important files during a normal system update. Its impossible to mess up so long as you already have a9lh and luma. Just clarifying why there is no need to worry. Glad everything worked out for you! Enjoy your new (improved) toy!