2D platformers between 1996 and 2006

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grew up on NES and SNES. I'm very much a Super Mario child, and I love 2D platformers.

I skipped N64 and GameCube because I was traveling a lot when those systems came out, so I focussed on GBC, GBA and NDS, which all had their share of great 2D platform games. I only got a Wii about a year ago, and was again I was impressed by the number of outstanding 2D platformers available on the system.

Recently I started digging into the library of games available for N64 and GameCube. Imagine my surprise when I didn't find any 2D platformers at all!

What happened during this decade? Was 3D gaming just so cool that everyone stopped caring about 2D? Is this phenomenon limited to Nintendo, or did it span all home consoles during that time?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There were still some 2D platformers in the early days of the Playstation but most were Europe and Japan only and did not leave there. Nintendo phased out 2D platformers on consoles after the SNES since Super Mario 64 was insanely popular and is now a timeless classic.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
but there are 2D platform games on N64 and GC, just that are on 3D... I mean the playable field is 2D but the graphics are 3D.
well you know... the so called 2.5D on N64 you have Kirby 64, a Goemon game I don't know the title and Mischief Makers(this is truly 2D and probably the only N64 game that isn't rendered in 3D). there are probably others but those are the most known.
on Gamecube you have collections such as Megaman Anniversary collection, Megaman X Collection and Sonic Gems Collection and of course original games like Viewtiful Joe and Alien Hominid.

now on Playstation platforms of that era you have Castlevania Symphony of the Night and you are pretty set. Strider comes to mind too(don't confuse with Strider "2014" I'm talking about this and this).
of course there are a lot more games out there that I don't know, I never had a Playstation 1 or 2 at that moment.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
There were still some 2D platformers in the early days of the Playstation but most were Europe and Japan only and did not leave there. Nintendo phased out 2D platformers on consoles after the SNES since Super Mario 64 was insanely popular and is now a timeless classic.

Despite that Mario 64 is hugely praised playing the game now it certainly shows its limitations, as such, is controlling the camera which for 3D platforming games is very important as you want to see what you're gonna kill or jump over.

New Super Mario Bros. are sidescrollers of the 2D kind but they're 2.5D with some 3D-ness to it.

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it sounds like there may be a few PS1 games worth checking out, but other than that, I guess I'll just skip 5th and 6th gen consoles.

No problem - there are plenty of old classics and new remakes to keep me busy :)

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said you had "GBC, GBA and NDS" during that time. Didn't you notice any 2D platformers on there? That's where most of them moved to during those days.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I have my mind more clear now and remember a few more titles and expanded to more consoles too:
Klonoa 1 and 2. PS1 and PS2 also a Wii remake of the first game, 2.5D.
Yoshi's Story. N64. 2.5D.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Wii. 2.5D.
Kirby Triple Deluxe. 3DS. 2.5D.
Prinny 1 and 2. PSP. 2.5D.
Monster Tale. DS. 2D.
Rayman 1(or gold on PC). Jaguar, PS1 and PC. 2D.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge. DSi, iPhone and PC also playable on 3DS as DSiWare. 2D.
Cave Story. PC, DSi, 3DS, PSP and Wii. 2D.
Donkey Kong Country Return. Wii and 3DS. 2.5D.
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2. PC. 2D.
Umihara Kawase series. SNES, PS1, DS, PSP, 3DS. 2D and 2.5D.

there ya go, I can't remember any more.
though I left a bunch out because of your date and platform restriction. I have much more for 7th gen consoles. I still left some noteworthy games outside the criteria in the list.
If you want a modern gen list of sidescroller platformers just ask.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Abe's Oddyssey and Abe's Exoddus (PC and PSX, iirc): absolutely awesome platformers.
Viewtifull Joe (gamecube). There are three games of this, and they're all fun.
Castlevania: symphony of the night (gamecube): not too familiar with the series, but I can see why this is considered one of the best platformers in history.
Paper mario: the thousand year old door (gamecube). Okay, not exactly 'just' a platformer, but certainly in 2D.

I gotta admit that it's not much. The snes-generation had far more platformers. It was that time period where every game studio seemed to wanted to go 3D, which sometimes wielded good results (like Super mario 64...or GTA3), and sometimes terrible (Bubsy 3D, anyone?).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30