Hacking 25th Chaos Communication Congress

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your feedback @Bushing... I think I needed some clarification there as to what you guys were really there to do... You seem to be the more relaxed out of the 2 of you. I am just an american that has been in the warez scene for a very long time and am set in my ways... I am not judgemental about how you feel about piracy, etc. I know it was more the thrill of getting your code in to do what it wants on a limited basis... your challenge level is obviously a lot higher than mine. I think I learned from my lessons about breaking into a stucture when I was younger... ** I was 15 years old and modified a war dialer to hack a voicemailing system when they were 1st big. FBI and FCC took my shoebox full of pirated wares.... and just wanted to know how I did it... (To fix it) Of course at that age I spilled my beans... LOL!
So in a way... I know what that feeling is like to accomplish such a 'feat but yours was techinally on a much higher scale than mine was at 15... I am now 37.. Still a big kid... and it didn't stop me from downloading piracy... haha.. but it did stop me from hacking stuff over the phones like MCI, Sprint, etc. Calling card #'s to get the latest wares... I just opened a Bulletin Board System (BBS) and let them come to me back then... That was all when security was not very complex like today...

Anyways.. thanks for your intel and the introduction to Wii Hacking 101. Most of us and I that knew more, expected more. But, what did you expect from us for a response to this??! Really?! Ok... so the "world" knows... now tell us when? And please no echoes of "When it's done." next month, next year, never?

Scolor

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks Fast6191!
wink.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
Scolor said:
Is there any video of twiizers' conference?
yea there was, but the mods found it "unnessacery" i dont see how seeing as most people couldnt download from the 25c3 site.

The one I deleted was on a well known torrent site that has illegal files on. The user changed it to one that was allowed but for some reason it still says that I deleted it and it wont let me approve it.

So whatever here are the allowed links that Tona posted:
http://mirror.core.im/video/25c3/pre-relea...08_wii_fail.mp4 (Direct download)
http://mirror.core.im/video/25c3/pre-relea...ail.mp4.torrent (torrent)
This is currently the best version of the conference available (Full, no glitchy OGM, etc.)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the links I actually wanted to watch this again with kids screaming in the background. What I did catch I found pretty informative maybe that's because I'm new to all this but I'm sure the target audience probably don't even play video games or sit on these kind of forums as 25c3 covered a broad spectrum. I guess by the title it was just to show where Nintendo failed to secure the device and how people (twiizers) found these loopholes.

The only part I couldn't figure was the bragging the "we did this and when we told them they never reacted how we wanted".
If someone broke into my house and said "hey dude we've told millions of people how we did this but what you need to do is increase your locks" I would probably respond the same as Nintendo if not harsher.

I respect the work of Twiizers even when I hate those waves on HBC so much and really couldn't care less about Bootmii.

but am gratefull for what we have now. Twiizers may be the catalysts of the Wii scene but they are not the be all and end all.

"United we stand, divided we fall"

or maybe im just babbling crap and just wanted to post
tongue.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiCrazy said:
linkinworm said:
You shouldn't waist your time on here dude, half these kids dont even know hacking past warez.

Yeah and most of them can't even spell correctly...
Think twice before making assumptions on people's ages... When you were still trying hard to read and write at primary school I was writing
programs in several languages... (though in writing you still suck actually)

In germany we have a saying: "Who sits in a glasshouse shouldn't throw with rocks."
wink.gif

QUOTE(WiiCrazy @ Dec 30 2008, 01:05 PM)
I take those answers of yours as merely just educated guesses...
If anybody around here knows who did what it's tona...

CIJC

Trophies
XP
Country
people dont like asking questions xD i was interested when someone asked 'release date for bootmii'

but then the 'when its done' answer made me cry
frown.gif
jokes
biggrin.gif

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian Uranium said:
linkinworm said:
Scolor said:
Is there any video of twiizers' conference?
yea there was, but the mods found it "unnessacery" i dont see how seeing as most people couldnt download from the 25c3 site.

The one I deleted was on a well known torrent site that has illegal files on. The user changed it to one that was allowed but for some reason it still says that I deleted it and it wont let me approve it.

So whatever here are the allowed links that Tona posted:
http://mirror.core.im/video/25c3/pre-relea...08_wii_fail.mp4 (Direct download)
http://mirror.core.im/video/25c3/pre-relea...ail.mp4.torrent (torrent)
This is currently the best version of the conference available (Full, no glitchy OGM, etc.)
im on about my link that was on my sharespace. which isnt illegal.

jonas18z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
yeah when it's done, that's the release date
rofl2.gif
you can read on the hackmii page that savemii just got in stock again. Maybe "it's done" when they sold them out, maybe they will not sell any if they release it now.

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
WiiCrazy said:
Waninkoko? Oh no...
And by saying "pretty much all of the work", are you including the devkitpro staff?
What about datel? I guess freeloader work was started long before zelda hack was created or fake sign bug is found..
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163322.html

edit: or, had Datel got these hacks from homebrewers?
Sorry, I missed this message.
No, not educated guesses.

As far as the devkitPRO "staff," Yes, libogc was around before team twiizers, but that's considered "old news." Maybe it would have been worth a mention, but they were strapped on time and nervous as shit anyway
tongue.gif

Anywho, if you go look at libogc history, you'll see that most patches for libogc's Wii support were written/submitted by bushing, marcan, and other twiizers guys. Heck, most of the source files still contain attribution. Wintermute and shagkur and everyone are doing a great job maintaining the project, but the advances made to that had much less to do with the actual hacking that was done on the console.

No, as far as I know Datel used the fakesigning bug after xt5 leaked the trucha signer tool. IIRC there may have been some speculation that they found the bug (or at least got wind of it) before the xt5 leak, but it's not really certain. It used at least one other interesting bug (or maybe it was a feature? see wiibrew forums "System Menu" section), but that bug/feature hasn't been useful to the homebrewing/hacking community all that much--nor has it been studied thoroughly.

Edit:
jonas18z said:
QUOTE(djdynamite123 @ Dec 31 2008, 12:05 AM) yeah when it's done, that's the release date
rofl2.gif
you can read on the hackmii page that savemii just got in stock again. Maybe "it's done" when they sold them out, maybe they will not sell any if they release it now.
Hah! It's definitely not done. Their goal is to REMOVE reliance on IOS/Nintendo code. As long as all it's doing is booting the hbc/System menu, they're not done.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
tona said:
WiiCrazy said:
Waninkoko? Oh no...
And by saying "pretty much all of the work", are you including the devkitpro staff?
What about datel? I guess freeloader work was started long before zelda hack was created or fake sign bug is found..
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163322.html

edit: or, had Datel got these hacks from homebrewers?
Sorry, I missed this message.
No, not educated guesses.

As far as the devkitPRO "staff," Yes, libogc was around before team twiizers, but that's considered "old news." Maybe it would have been worth a mention, but they were strapped on time and nervous as shit anyway
tongue.gif

Anywho, if you go look at libogc history, you'll see that most patches for libogc's Wii support were written/submitted by bushing, marcan, and other twiizers guys. Heck, most of the source files still contain attribution. Wintermute and shagkur and everyone are doing a great job maintaining the project, but the advances made to that had much less to do with the actual hacking that was done on the console.

No, as far as I know Datel used the fakesigning bug after xt5 leaked the trucha signer tool. IIRC there may have been some speculation that they found the bug (or at least got wind of it) before the xt5 leak, but it's not really certain. It used at least one other interesting bug (or maybe it was a feature? see wiibrew forums "System Menu" section), but that bug/feature hasn't been useful to the homebrewing/hacking community all that much--nor has it been studied thoroughly.

Edit:
jonas18z said:
QUOTE(djdynamite123 @ Dec 31 2008, 12:05 AM) yeah when it's done, that's the release date
rofl2.gif
Hah! It's definitely not done. Their goal is to REMOVE reliance on IOS/Nintendo code. As long as all it's doing is booting the hbc/System menu, they're not done.
maybe datal knew of something else to boot region free then when the bug came out then thought why waist time we can put this out in a week with this bug known.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm barely watching this, and lol at the Firefox thing. Also bushing looks proud when he said you MUST buy the ticket in order to play a virtual console game.
tongue.gif

Also marcan, slow down a bit buddy, somethings you can't understand.
tongue.gif
oh well...

*goes back to watching*

Also: Awesome shirts.
biggrin.gif

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
...I was 15 years old and modified a war dialer to hack a voicemailing system when they were 1st big. FBI and FCC took my shoebox full of pirated wares.... and just wanted to know how I did it... (To fix it) Of course at that age I spilled my beans... LOL!
So in a way... I know what that feeling is like to accomplish such a 'feat but yours was techinally on a much higher scale than mine was at 15... I am now 37.. Still a big kid... and it didn't stop me from downloading piracy... haha.. but it did stop me from hacking stuff over the phones like MCI, Sprint, etc. Calling card #'s to get the latest wares... I just opened a Bulletin Board System (BBS) and let them come to me back then... That was all when security was not very complex like today...
Interesting. I am 15 and the most piracy I've ever done was programming my uncle's satellite card to get free tv. I started a business in school to do it for kids but my sisters caught me and I had to stop.
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: AncientBoi might be interested lol +1