Hardware 2 USB enclosures don't seem to work

drguild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 2 2.5 inch enclosures I got a extra one today as the first wouldn't work but they both don't work on my WiiU in any config.
Reading around people claim success with every 2.5 enclosure they tried working with a y cable and hub etc etc, but I cant seem to replicate it.
The same Toshiba 2.5 inch drive was tested in all enclosures below and only worrks in one a 3.5 inch Welland externally powered enclosure.

• 2 usb cables in the back
  • 2 in the front
  • 1 in back 1 in front
  • 1 in either back or front and one in a external usb charger
All tese configuarions don't work at all.
The drive spins up but the games on it arn't shown and the WiiU says theres no drive attached in all configuarations.

I have a Orico USB3 I bought and a usb power splitter for it and no go,

2588US3-BK-th.jpg

I then just went and bought a another enclusure with a Y cable supplied, slightly diffrent case shape and still no go,
I read these and similar are kinda meant to work but no luck here.
s-l1600.jpg

The only device that works is a 3.5 inch Welland Speed Master with a extrernal power adaptor.
product_m_e_me-746e_1_b.jpg

I am not sure my options as I want a drive thats self powered via a Y cable or other to play games without the fuss of turning on or changing drives.
Was thinking in the end I may have to get a cruzer fit or something.
I also have a WD elements 2TB in my Wii I could move over and format to the WiiU and I hope I could get all the games and saves on the WiiU.

Just trying to assess options here.

Last edited by drguild,

drguild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just out of interest I put my WD Elements 2TB Wii drive on and it asked to format with a stabndard USB Y splitter so looks like thats the way to go.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
I learnt in the many original Wiis i modded that the wii and wii u prefer lower power drives.

Some Toshiba and Seagate drives drawn 0.8a or some even higher. I had issues with these.

Most WD drives draw 0.55a and i had great success with these drives. All self powered through USB.

drguild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I learnt in the many original Wiis i modded that the wii and wii u prefer lower power drives.

Some Toshiba and Seagate drives drawn 0.8a or some even higher. I had issues with these.

Most WD drives draw 0.55a and i had great success with these drives. All self powered through USB.

This is actually prtetty funny.
I have a 2.5 inch Seagate 80GB older drive which has loads of bad sectors just put it in the white 2.5 inch caddy and the WiiU asked to format it.
So seems like the WiiU doesn't like that Toshiba that was a original PS3 drive in the caddy /and with external power but its ok in the 3.5 inch desktop caddy I have.

So seems like the caddy is fine afterall.
Time to do more research.

Yep the WiiU hates the PS3 Toshibas in the 2.5 inch caddies.
Tried a second one that had a cuple bad sectors from my first PS3 and acted the same way.

Last edited by drguild,

39ster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
USB2.0 only allows 500mA per USB port. I actually found a USB flash drive worked a lot better after trying a few USB HDDs. It's only 32GB but had no issues with it. I know Nintendo don't recommend USB flash drives due to wear, but other than save files it rarely gets written to as far as I'm aware, much less than the internal flash. Always a good idea to back up any external drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1