2,3 gb free space on clean Wii U

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just got a new Wii U with 8 gb internal storage and I only have about 2,3 bg free on the internal storage.
I installed HBC and tried to install Zelda Twiligth Princess with nussplit but it unfortunetly failed.
I downloaded FTPiiU_Everywhere and checked mlc/usr/import but the files there is only about 5mb.
I have also tried to delete apps in the setting but there is not much to remove.
What have I done wrong?

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got a new Wii U with 8 gb internal storage and I only have about 2,3 bg free on the internal storage.
I installed HBC and tried to install Zelda Twiligth Princess with nussplit but it unfortunetly failed.
I downloaded FTPiiU_Everywhere and checked mlc/usr/import but the files there is only about 5mb.
I have also tried to delete apps in the setting but there is not much to remove.
What have I done wrong?
Not enought space for the download file. ZTP is 1.2 gb download then you'll need enough space for it to unpack and install. Get an external HDD or SSD. Or,....I haven't used Nusspli in awhile, can you still dl to sd card and then install to nand or usb? That's another option, I guess.

Last edited by Ettino,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Completely normal: https://en-americas-support.nintend...wii-u-internal-storage-space-information#s1q1
Not enought space for the download file. ZTP is 1.2 gb download then you'll need enough space for it to unpack and install.
NUSspli assumes you need DL size * 2, so around 2.4 GB.
can you still dl to sd card and then install to nand
Yes, you can, and then it will assume you need just 1.2 GB (but on both, NAND and SD).

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, almost all storage used for the os...
I was prepared for some of the nand to be unavailable...
Thanks for quick help.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what benefits does that have?
Some Hynix chips produced in a specific timeframe are failing lately. See https://hackmd.io/d12Fq9g-QlCjN2HJp7Yvew?view and https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-i-fixed-160-0103-system-memory-error.626448/ , for example.

As Ettino said you don't need to care about this through. This affects 32 GB Hynix chips only (and Nintendo didn't even use 8 GB Hynix chips but Samsung and Toshiba only. On 32 GB models they used either Hynix, Samsung or Toshiba).

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is technically the possibility to remove quotas which reserve around 2GB more for the system, than really needed. But you would have a high risk of bricking while doing so and later would need to be carefull to not fill it up 100%, because then also the system could run into problems. Also with flash it's better to not fill it up 100%.
But even then you wouldn't have enough storage to do much, so you need a external storage anyway. And if you need that anyway you might as well leave the internal storage as it is. Using the external storage will also reduce the wear on the internal one. As far as I measured, I couldn't measure a performance advantage of the internel memory compared to a good quality flash drive.

Reactions: duffman2k

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There is technically the possibility to remove quotas which reserve around 2GB more for the system, than really needed. But you would have a high risk of bricking while doing so and later would need to be carefull to not fill it up 100%, because then also the system could run into problems. Also with flash it's better to not fill it up 100%.
But even then you wouldn't have enough storage to do much, so you need a external storage anyway. And if you need that anyway you might as well leave the internal storage as it is. Using the external storage will also reduce the wear on the internal one. As far as I measured, I couldn't measure a performance advantage of the internel memory compared to a good quality flash drive.
I have a 32gb as my main Wii U (yes I have multiple, and yes I am stupid) should I use external drive to not wear the internal? I have Nintendont, USB Loader plus some other games installed on the internal storage. Nintendont and USB Loader loads games from SD but the apps are installed on the nand

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 32gb as my main Wii U (yes I have multiple, and yes I am stupid) should I use external drive to not wear the internal? I have Nintendont, USB Loader plus some other games installed on the internal storage. Nintendont and USB Loader loads games from SD but the apps are installed on the nand
definitely, the mlc (internal storage) has limited writes, so I think most would advise not to use it. every flash media has limited writes, but the mlc is only like a few thousands iirc. not very many when I think the slc, has like 100,000 writes or something.

Reactions: duffman2k

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The vWii stuff isn't on the MLC anyway except VC injects. But those won't cause writes to the MLC anyway. Also I wouldn't worry to much about wearing out the MLC. The OS might write a little bit, but you can't change that and games only when they save. The size written by saving shouldn't be that much compared to the total size of the MLC, especially on a 32gb model. Also there is the SLC cache in front of the MLC, which should take the majority of writes during saving.

The rest of the hardware also has a finite life expectancy. So I am not sure if it is really worth wasting to many throughts about wearing out the MLC. And in case it does, the MLC can be replaced relative easily. I would care more about the thermal stress on the CPU and GPU as those can't be replaced. But also there I wouldn't worry much, as the Wii U was pretty weak for it's time, so there is plenty of margin in the design. Just make sure it isn't full of dust and maybe replace the thermal pad, if you experience problems

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendont, USB loader & co should be used write-only cause the important data is from SD (as SDIO said when using injects, else there's nothing to read/write from the MLC anyway).

So I am not sure if it is really worth wasting to many throughts about wearing out the MLC.
In my eyes adding a HDD isn't wasting thoughts but something you'll do sooner or later anyway, so why not do it ASAP? It won't hurt and you won't need to waste any more thought after that. ;)

the MLC can be replaced relative easily.
As long as the original MLC is still readable or you have good MLC + SLC backups and want to reflash SLC, too.

I would care more about the thermal stress on the CPU and GPU
I never ever saw a GPU or CPU failing that easily and I putted them under a lot of thermal stress. Also pretty sure the Wii U does an emergency power off before reaching max tolerated temps (never cecked this but it would be stupid to not do it).
In other words: I'm able to use really old, heavily used CPUs or GPUs without issues but flash storage with the same age? Locked readonly (or worse) since decades already.
Some resistor or something near the CPU might burn before the CPU gets damage...

//EDIT: And the Wii U is known to do MLC writes even while doing standby functions only (title update checks and so on). So while I also never looked into that I'm skeptical when someone sais there shouldn't be that much writes anyway. ;)

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: Blythe93

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my eyes adding a HDD isn't wasting thoughts but something you'll do sooner or later anyway, so why not do it ASAP? It won't hurt and you won't need to waste any more thought after that. ;)
I would just add one as soon as I need one. With a 8GB one that would be pretty immediately, but for me a 32GB it has plenty of space for the few games I play and then I don't need to take care to loose the USB or accidentally format it. I try to keep all the games that are important to me in the internal memory, to reduce the risk of loosing them and their saves when the console gets packed away for many years.

As long as the original MLC is still readable or you have good MLC + SLC backups and want to reflash SLC, too.
I am sure we will soon be able to rebuild MLCs. If a eMMC dies by writing it should be read only, so still readable anyway.

I never ever saw a GPU or CPU failing that easily and I putted them under a lot of thermal stress.
Thermal stress wont kill them immediately, but over time. Especially the thermal cycling of the different materials, breaking joints over the time. Given the wii u is after the time of the underfill problems, that plagued the xbox 360 and PS3 and the Wii U has probably good margins. And if the high side mosfet fails and sends 12V to the CPU you would also get a dead cpu.
Also heat makes the data leak out faster from the eMMC if you are concerend about that ;)

Also pretty sure the Wii U does an emergency power off before reaching max tolerated temps (never checked this but it would be stupid to not do it).
I am not aware of any temperature sensors. I know they turn off with a red blinking led if they overheat to much, but that could just be something no longer probably working. Even if it has an emergency power off, you don't want to use it just below that probably pretty high threshold if it could be running much cooler.

In other words: I'm able to use really old, heavily used CPUs or GPUs without issues but flash storage with the same age? Locked readonly (or worse) since decades already.
Some resistor or something near the CPU might burn before the CPU gets damage...
My first SSDs are still going strong, I only had two sd cards failing. But I also have failed Graphics cards here and a dead Athlon...

//EDIT: And the Wii U is known to do MLC writes even while doing standby functions only (title update checks and so on). So while I also never looked into that I'm skeptical when someone sais there shouldn't be that much writes anyway. ;)
But you won't prevent that with external storage. And do we really have evidence, that the wii u is writing excessively? As far as I can tell this came only up as speculation, when the first hynix started to fail after a long time not being used and with the data we have now, we are pretty sure there was just something wrong with these chips.

The console with the worst eMMC I had so far looked from the inside like never used, not a spec of dust.

If we assume the MLC can sustain 10 000 then that would amount to 320 TB total writes on 32GB console. How big is the part of the save game, that gets regular written? Maybe double that amount to account for FS overhead.

So I am really not that worried about wearing out my MLC. But on the other hand, I am not playing that much and I would have no problem replacing my MLC if it fails. So maybe take that with a grain of salt.

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
One more noob question.
I got a ssd connected via sata-usb.
Can I use it for Wii U games and homebrew at the same time?
If I format it using the Wii U I can't find it on my PC. But if I can't do that then I can't put my totally legal backups of Gamecube and Wii on it. And if I understand correctly if I format the disk to fat32 I can't play Wii U games of it?
Is there a work around?

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more noob question.
I got a ssd connected via sata-usb.
Can I use it for Wii U games and homebrew at the same time?
Is there a work around?
Well, there're multiple routes to take. Either use 2 ssd/hdd, 1 for wii u games and 1 for vWii stuff. You will have to use something like usbhide to hide the fat32 drive from wii u in order for this set up to work.

Or, use the injector for those Wii & GC games if you want to use 1 single drive. As they will install on the wii u side like normal wii u games.

Or put GC, Wii and whatever else like retroarch isos on the sd card and use Nintendont or whatever you use to play wii to load them.

Last edited by Ettino,

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, there're multiple routes to take. Either use 2 ssd/hdd, 1 for wii u games and 1 for vWii stuff. You will have to use something like usbhide to hide the fat32 drive from wii u in order for this set up to work.

Or, use the injector for those Wii & GC games if you want to use 1 single drive. As they will install on the wii u side like normal wii u games.

Or put GC, Wii and whatever else like retroarch isos on the sd card and use Nintendont or whatever you use to play wii to load them.
Thanks, will just go for the SD as that seems easier. Injection looks very cool, will try that on my most used games.
I must say Nintendo really didn't want to sell this console :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    No way, Switch pro will be next
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    hello silly pirate soldiers :)
    +1
    @SylverReZ NIntendo pretty much has to release a new console by next year in order to keep making moneys imo
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.
    +1
    they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid prime 4 to the next console because by now it has been quite a while and there's no release date scheduled yet
    lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get nailed with dmca by tomorrow
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Wasn't Metroid Prime 4 teased all the way back in 2017? For the switch no less?
    :rofl2:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped
    for $200? rofl.
    well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the current gen they can probably easily just slap it onto a next gen cart and call it good :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch was about 350 in 2017
  • Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0:
    mabe where you live
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch