1st Person Shooters

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with FPS, I enjoy them. Half-Life 1 and 2, episode 1, and episode 2, I enjoy them all. Not a fan for war games really, I just like the unusual stuff, like Team Fortress 2, and Bioshock the most.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this pretty much shows why first person shooters are popular.

To answer the question in the beginning: War, much like the FPS library, never changes.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this pretty much shows why first person shooters are popular.

To answer the question in the beginning: War, much like the FPS library, never changes.
Someone JUST showed me that like 2 hours ago. Im not even kidding.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
_Chaz_ said:

Someone JUST showed me that like 2 hours ago. Im not even kidding.
Weird, I posted this 2 hours ago.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
I would invite everyone throwing around the "casual" label to define a casual player versus a hardcore player.

Problem with that is everyone will have a different opinion of what makes a hardoce and casual player.

I'll use myself as an example.... I used to play every day for 6 hours or more, to me that was hardcore. Now tho I play about 3 days a week for 2 hours or less so I consider myself casual now.

What is your definiton TwinRetro?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
431unknown said:
TwinRetro said:
I would invite everyone throwing around the "casual" label to define a casual player versus a hardcore player.

Problem with that is everyone will have a different opinion of what makes a hardoce and casual player.

I'll use myself as an example.... I used to play every day for 6 hours or more, to me that was hardcore. Now tho I play about 3 days a week for 2 hours or less so I consider myself casual now.

What is your definiton TwinRetro?

I usually try not to make those distinctions, but if anything a "casual gamer" plays to have fun, while a "hardcore gamer" plays to win, no matter if said gamer is having fun or not.

imo, youre not a "hardcore" gamer until you get paid for it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there are many different types of gamers, but I think it's a fact that you're a casual gamer if you just play mainstream games, Sports games, FPS' exclusively and pretty much think you're awesome at them. I calll these gamers "non-gamer gamers"
A true gamer will explore genres, generally have a large database of knowledge about gaming, not discriminate when it comes to video gaming, etc.

Seriously, I'm tires of my schoolmates thinking they are "hardcore gamers" just because they have a 360 and play Halo and Call of Duty. It seriously pisses me off
angry.gif

EDIT: Oh, and being TheRetroNeoGamer, I have to add this: Those who discriminate against retro games as a whole should be ashamed to even label themselves gamers.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your not a hardcore gamer unless you're 72 and spend over 9001 hours in your parent basement switching between playing WoW, and FPS on a XBOX360/PS3/Wii.

(I'm agreeing with Retro. If you get paid for gaming you're a "Hard-Core gamer".)

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I usually try not to make those distinctions, but if anything a "casual gamer" plays to have fun, while a "hardcore gamer" plays to win, no matter if said gamer is having fun or not.

I'd fit your description of casual then... I mostly play just to have fun anymore. When I did play hardcore it was to win all the time, and I kinda got tired of it.

If your getting paid to play videogames I'd think that would be called Pro not hardcore. Just my opinion

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
QUOTE said:

If your getting paid to play videogames I'd think that would be called Pro not hardcore. Just my opinion
No, you're right. The definition of a Pro gamer is a gamer that gets paid for their skill (basically).

Either way, it's not like there are just Casual and Hardcore gamers. I consider myself a veteran gamer.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hardcore =/= time spent playing.
A casual GAME refers to either dumbing down the typical mechanics of a genre to make the game simpler, or just plain being simpler in its own way. Though it really is hard to pin down specifically what is hardcore or casual. Unless it's completely clear cut like:

CoD is the best example. Guns shoot moronically straight. Recoil and spray patterns really don't exist anywhere near where they should. This makes killing people VERY VERY easy. Aim in someones general direction, slam out some bullets, win. Try that in an FPS like counter-strike...and watch yourself die miserably. Games like Halo are a bit different where you're using more...futuristic weapons. But I mean, you're not just dodging bullets, and you don't die in 1 hit...so it evens out, usually.

WoW is another prime example. Most popular MMO out there because:
1: It focuses on PvE content. PvE content is simple. You're up against AI, which is never really difficult. (you can basically always know what to expect).
2: Character builds are basically non-existent. The most "customization" you do for your character is talent trees and deciding what stats to stack with armor.
3: The game is run by "skill rotations". Basically, in pretty much every instance each class has a specific order of skills to use to win against an opponent. In PvP you may have 1 or 2 rotations depending on what you kill (warrior, mage, etc) but it takes no skill, you just lock on to a target and rail off your skills and pray your gear is better.

I could probably list a bunch of other things, but i'm lazy.
Time means nothing.

The reason it's so hard to define a GAMER being hardcore or casual is because it more or less depends on what games you generally play. Even then i'd break it down and say things like "I'm a hardcore FPS player, but only a casual puzzle player." or something.

oh and I don't know if it happens outside of MMOs but it is sometimes possible to easily tell if someone is casual or not, based on their opinions. Go to an MMO suggestion forum and look for people whining for things to be simpler, or to cut out PvP elements...and chances are they're casual to the core.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    chrisrlink @ chrisrlink: lol +1