1st Party VS 3 Party GC memory Cards.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DJPlace, Feb 8, 2009.

1. DJPlace
    OP

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    i really need one but... i heard rumors of people saying 3rd party don't work that well. i can get a nyko x16 or a 251 offical nintendo brand i don't know what to do... i don't want to waste my money on something that does not work... let me know...

2. Kree_boy

Kree_boy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2009
    United States
    OZ
    I have a Madcatz x16 and it works just fine.

3. DJPlace
    OP

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    thanks for the answer i guess i'm going have to risk it then... madcazt x16 here i come.

4. Diffusion

Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Never used the loader, but the madcatz memory cards I've had suck. Get corrupted randomly every once in a while and I lose all my files. [​IMG]

5. SilverSurfR

SilverSurfR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    NJ, USA
    Same here... was the only thing I could find yesterday.

6. david432111

david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2008
    Denmark
    Just use the official ones. When in doubt go the official route(Hey that rhymes!)

7. Kree_boy

Kree_boy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2009
    United States
    OZ
    I got mine when it was first released and have never had a problem with it.
    maybe i got lucky...but ive never had a corrupt game save...or load problem from the card.

8. smurphyzeke

smurphyzeke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2007
    United States
    I'd go with an official one. Got got a 3rd party one and lost all my data, which made me stop playing my GC for a few years.

Lucky for me, a few months ago I got a new official Nintendo 1019 block memory card for about $4 at Toys R Us.

9. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
    I was having a few problems with saves, but I believe that is because I was switching around cMIOS's, and so far since sticking with Wani's cMIOS I haven't had any problems.

10. Lazycus

Lazycus Rotten

Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    My good old Datel Max Drive is still going strong. One of their best products ever.

11. Raki

Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Gambia, The
    back when I used my gamecube regulary I had a 64 MB Memory Card from BigBen, which got wiped 2 times with all my saves...wouldn't trust this

12. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    TOPIC MOVED to "Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities"

13. Trune

Trune GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    Amongst The Clouds
  14. Slowking

Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 31, 2006
    Gambia, The
    I have a 32MB Memory card from BigBen since from the first batch. It was heavily used and never lost any data. Though I heard that later batches weren't that good. If you have the money, get an original card and you'll be on the save side.
    If you get a 3rd party anyway you should back it up regulary. There a a few pretty easy to use tools for Wii to do this.

15. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
  16. mugel0190

mugel0190 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
  17. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    I have this one too. Although i have barely used it, it has worked fine and is a masterpiece! (apart from the colour lol).

The theoretical maximum size of a GC memory card is 128MBit, or 16Mbytes.

That card has 2x 128Mbit chips in it, with a switch, so you effectively have double the maximum capacity (or 2 cards in one slot lol). This also should theoretically allow easy isolation of savegame regions, which I've heard is a problem when mixing savegames (the card may format).

256Mbit is like a gazillion blocks, great for the GC backup launcher if u have heaps of backups [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice