Hacking 1GB MicroSDs may not be enough for future games.

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From IGN:

"Way back when the Nintendo DS was revealed, Nintendo veep Reggie File-Aimes mentioned that cart sizes could go up to a gigabit in size. Or, more specifically, 128 megabytes. Several high-profile games have hit that point in just two years of the system's life, and more ambitious developers will demand more space for their products. With full-motion video sluts like Square Enix fully on-board the Nintendo DS train, Nintendo will likely put two and four gigabit cartridge media (256 and 512 megabyte) on the development order sheet in 2007 to encourage PlayStation-like game presentations with enormous rendered cutscenes, introductions, and endings, as well as voice-overs and full-on licensed soundtracks. These carts would, of course, be made at a premium, with the prices passed down to the consumer in higher game costs."

Read more here:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/759/759123p1.html

I might reconcider on buying a 2GB or even a 4GB MicroSD card now. It depends what kind of games come out though. I can't wait to see the new games that come in more memory. With more memory, means better graphics. But better graphics don't always mean better gameplay.
tongue.gif
I'm just hoping that there will be a super smash brothers for the DS that would go with either the 256MB or 512MB.

Discuss?
tongue.gif

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, That's pretty cool. I wonder what Square-Enix will make

I found this on the second page:
Nintendo hints at Next Gen Nintendo DS

Nintendo's not one to completely shy away from talking about the next iteration of its gaming products, even if the current generation product is still riding high on the wave. We expect some talk about a Nintendo DS II product -- the DS branding is incredibly strong now, so it's no mystery that Nintendo will want to continue the idea of the dual-screen touch screen gaming format. 2007 won't see a new DS system, but it will certainly be a year where Nintendo will talk about the future.

What would we expect out of the Nintendo DS? Both screens touchable with the ability for multiple touchpoints at the same time. Enhanced 3D capabilities on par with GameCube. More memory for full-on, fast web browsing. Bluetooth connectivity for direct Wii connection. Picture and audio playback. And, of course, full backward compatibility with the existing Nintendo DS software.

I hope Nintendo comes out with a NDS II in like 2008 or 9

quinterrya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, seeing that you can get a 1gb sd card for 15.00 to 20.00 dollars at some places, you're still spending half the money to play the game. besides, by the time we see 1gb or 2gb games, the 2gb sd card will be the price of the 1gb card right now. just upgrade to 2gb or 4gb and enjoy
happy.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So because in the future games with sizes of max 512MB will come out, 1GB MicroSD's are not enough, so you're now already worrying about buying a not-yet-existing 4GB MicroSD... hmmkay.

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So because in the future games with sizes of max 512MB will come out, 1GB MicroSD's are not enough, so you're now already worrying about buying a not-yet-existing 4GB MicroSD... hmmkay.

Worrying? Nah, just providing some information for DS fans.
tongue.gif
Yeah I know the card doesn't exist at the moment, but hey, I like to carry a lot of games with me and a 1GB can only hold two 512's that are trimmed. If it's not trimmed, most likely you won't be able to hold 2 because 1GB MicroSDs aren't exactly 1GB (980 MB was it?).

But anyways, I hold a lot of games cause my friends sometime want to play multiplayer with me and since our card hold so many already, we just decide which one to play. And when we're done, I just go back to the game I was originally playing. All I got to do now is wait for a 4GB to come out.

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There really isn't a reason to buy 2GB or 4GB (if/when they come out) cause 1GBs are incredibly inexpensive these days. Buying two 1GBs is way cheaper than buying one 2GB card. So until 2GB cards cost around ~$25-30 (USD). I don't see a real reason to upgrade.

k2theman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are, when you get access to one of these massive games, it's all you're going to want to play for awhile. Is it such a big deal, then, to keep only that game (plus maybe a couple of smaller ones) on the card? You can delete the game after you complete it and then put your old stuff back on there.

Another option would be to purchase a second (now cheap; then, VERY cheap) 1GB card to hold only a big game or two.

ydnar64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can do what i do with my PSP. Only load one or two games on the card if that is required... I've used only a 1 GIG card for my PSP backups ever since they have back ups and i've never ran into any serious issues with that... Your 1 Gig will work... Plus how many games are really going to push this bench mark? not many...

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I see two ways out of this "1 Gigabit" boundary. First way is to allow more than one NDS carts to be used for a game. I believe this has been shown not viable on current NDS hardware? (Since there has been a photoshopped picture of dual carted Dragon Quest 9 floating around earlier, and people pretty much have investigated and rejected the dual cart possibility.) The other way would be to launch a second generation NDS which support larger cart size while remaining compatibility towards first generation NDS carts. This would require whole new family of NDS flash carts and we won't even know how they would work. So, don't you think it's a little bit early to worry about MicroSD card size at the moment?

My 2 cents is, it is likely to have a second generation NDS if getting around the "1 Gigabit" boundary is what major game developers (like Square-Enix) have requested. No point to scale up one aspect of NDS (cart size) without scaling up the other aspects (like graphic/audio support), right?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
so if these games came out. they would not fit on the ds-x? i dont think thats right because i can fit about 9 games on my ds-x.

Yeah but if you were to dump some of the bigger games like FF3, Elite Beat Ages etc. on there you'd quickly run out of space. It's not how many games a card can fit, it's the storage capacity. AFAIK you'd still be able to run a 512Mb game on a DS-X, it's just that you would only be able to get that one game on there.

ydnar64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If Games start to get bigger then FF3 and Elite Beat Agents then i'm sure glad i got an R4... Both of these games rock and i have them on my R4 along with 13 other games... This is where the DS-X will get off the slot-1 competition. Using built in memory only is silly. As for how nintendo would implement bigger games. That's easy. They will use bigger memory cards. Look at the R4 for example you can have 1 gig of space on that and it fits fine in the DS. I'm sure nintendo can have a card manufactured that has the same capacity and will have it where the DS will read it fine. I still don't for see this happening anytime soon though. The DS has no need for it with its current abilty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw