1800mAh Cameron Sino battery problem

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Mine is a simple conjecture. Maybe everything is okay. First start by thoroughly cleaning the pins under the battery cover and try recharging a battery. It may be that everything is okay already. However, all the PSP batteries circulating online are shoddy and unreliable.
I've given you various tips and opinions but I don't want any liability or complaints in case of other disappointing purchases.
I wish you a happy new year. 😉

So, I ordered the Ostent external battery from Amazon, it also came charged like the Ostent battery and it took quite some time to discharge, but like I said, the PSP doesn't blink when low in battery (so, it turns off all of a sudden when it's fully discharged) and the battery icon doesn't appear in the XMB when using it, it's uncomfortable to hold the PSP with it attached, it's tilted since I doesn't fit the back of the PSP properly (maybe it's my fault for not attaching it well), and if I'm not careful, it can mess up the UMD drive when taking it so I'll leave it hanging, thus it won't be tilted and won't mess up the UMD drive when taking it. Even if it's not supposed to use it this way, at least it's safer and it feels more comfortable holding the PSP this way, too. The external battery's LED is red when being charged and turns blue after fully charged.

I don't know if it can also charge the internal battery and I didn't try it and I took it while playing as well. I also don't know if the PSP should even be charged with it inserted (regardless if the internal PSP battery is inserted or not) and I charged the external battery overnight, which I don't know if it's right (I don't know how long it took to fully charge it). A week after charging it, the PSP still turns on (I've been checking every day to see if it still does) so I guess it's not faulty like the 4 internal batteries I used which wouldn't even charge, just for a very small period of time of after being fully charged, the PSP wouldn't turn on the next day. Assuming the external battery is fine, does it mean the PSP has a hardware problem that affects all internal batteries or they are messed up? I find it odd having 4 faulty batteries (3 of them are/were new). If it really has a hardware problem that affects internal batteries, why doesn't it affect the external? Also, I've been using the original battery cover.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the PSP doesn't blink when low in battery (so, it turns off all of a sudden when it has no battery
This is quite dangerous, because if it should go out while you are manually saving (or during an autosave) within a game, you run the risk of corrupting the save file or, at worst, the entire Memory Stick (which has already happened to some users). So I recommend that, where possible, you disable ingame autosave, which usually happens frequently and thus carries a lot of risk.

Otherwise, as I understand, this external battery lasts quite a long time, so it was a good purchase (at least compared to the previous 4 batteries): let's hope it doesn't hide nasty surprises for later. 😅

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is quite dangerous, because if it should go out while you are manually saving (or during an autosave) within a game, you run the risk of corrupting the save file or, at worst, the entire Memory Stick (which has already happened to some users). So I recommend that, where possible, you disable ingame autosave, which usually happens frequently and thus carries a lot of risk.

Otherwise, as I understand, this external battery lasts quite a long time, so it was a good purchase (at least compared to the previous 4 batteries): let's hope it doesn't hide nasty surprises for later. 😅

With my bad luck, that will likely happen. Also, since I take the external battery every time I turn off the PSP, I have to set the date and time often.
Post automatically merged:

Doesn't that risk also exist if using internal batteries as well? Also, I use a microSD card, if that matters (I guess it doesn't).

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

Zealotus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So, I ordered Ostent's external battery from Amazon, it also came charged like the Ostent battery and it took quite some time to discharge, but like I said, the PSP doesn't blink when low in battery (so, it turns off all of a sudden when it's fully discharged) and the battery icon doesn't appear in the XMB when using it, it's uncomfortable to hold the PSP with it attached, it's tilted since I doesn't fit the back of the PSP properly (maybe it's my fault for not attaching it right), and if I'm not careful, it can screw up the UMD drive when taking it so I'll leave it hanging and because of that it won't be tilted and won't screw up the UMD drive when taking it. Even if it's not supposed to use it this way, at least it's safer and it feels more comfortable holding the PSP this way, too.

I don't know if it can also charge the internal battery and I didn't try it and I took it while playing as well. I also don't know if the PSP should even be charged with it inserted (regardless if the internal PSP battery is inserted or not) and I charged the external battery overnight, which I don't know if it's right (I don't know how long it took to fully charge it). A week after charging it, the PSP still turns on (I've been checking every day to see if it still does) so I guess it isn't faulty like the 4 internal batteries I used which wouldn't even charge, just for a very small period of time of after being fully charged, the PSP wouldn't turn on the next day. Assuming the external battery is fine, does it mean the PSP has a hardware problem that affects all internal batteries or they are screwed up? I find it odd having 4 faulty batteries (3 of them are/were new). If it really has a hardware problem that affects internal batteries, why doesn't it affect the external? Also, I've been using the original battery cover.

EDIT: I still don't get why the PSP can't connect to my network if not somewhat far from it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/s/9rlVlTASRV

Take a look at this. Your psp is showing sign of bad supercapacitor. Hope it helps

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know nor want to open the PSP.
Read the reddit link the user posted: it doesn't seem to me that this is the same problem as yours, or is it?
In any case it would be enough to remove that capacitor without the need to replace it, unless you care about the exact date and time.
But if you don't want to open the psp shell, you won't know if that is the actual problem. 🤷

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Read the reddit link the user posted: it doesn't seem to me that this is the same problem as yours, or is it?
In any case it would be enough to remove that capacitor without the need to replace it, unless you care about the exact date and time.
But if you don't want to open the psp shell, you won't know if that is the actual problem. 🤷

To be honest, I don't know.

I don't know how to replace it.

If I tried to open it, I'd mess it up even more.

Why does the Ostent external battery charge the internal battery if used with it? It seems this external battery can only be used about 500 times.

Zealotus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
To be honest, I don't know.

I don't know how to replace it.

If I tried to open it, I'd mess it up even more.

Why does Ostent's external battery charge the internal battery if used along with it? It seems this external battery can only be used about 500 times.
Because ostent external battery works like a charger. You plug it in the charging port. You can use it without internal battery of course but there is no way of knowing if it running out of juice. My suggestion is use it in combination with the actual battery at the end of the day it is simply just an external power source.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because ostent external battery works like a charger. You plug it in the charging port. You can use it without internal battery of course but there is no way of knowing if it running out of juice. My suggestion is use it in combination with the actual battery at the end of the day it is simply just an external power source.

If it works like a charger then why does it need to be charged and it can't charge the internal battery by itself, then? I no longer have the internal battery and even when using it with the external, it discharged without notice.

Zealotus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If it works like a charger then why does it need to be charged and it can't charge the internal battery by itself, then? I no longer have the internal battery and even when using it along the external battery, it discharged without notice.
It can charge the internal battery but if your internal battery is busted then you know why. Of course it needs to charge. It is a battery after all. It like power bank but for the psp. Yeah thats the psp for you. It consumes power even if its turn off because of the internal clock. I dont know what you are pointing but thats my answer.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It can charge the internal battery but if your internal battery is busted then you know why. Of course it needs to charge. It is a battery after all. It like power bank but for the psp. Yeah thats the psp for you. It consumes power even if its turn off because of the internal clock. I dont know what you are pointing but thats my answer.

OK, but why can it charge it? I thought it was supposed to use it without any internal battery inserted on the PSP. It seems it takes to longer to charge the external battery than the internal but I don't know since I charged it overnight. Also, I only bought it precisely because my internal batteries are busted so why would I use it to charge them?

I think my PSP has a hardware problem since it had problems with 4 internal batteries (3 of them were new) so I guess I'd still have one if I used the external battery to charge the internal. I don't get it why I don't have the problems with the external battery I did with the internal's. Don't all devices consume power even if turned off, like the PS Vita, phones, laptops, etc.?

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't a hardware problem when I had the battery which came (the first battery of 4) with my used PSP and even when I got the first (Cameron Sino's from AliExpress) that I ordered (the second of 4) which had problems since it arrived in 2022 and had problems from the start and the original worked until 2023. The following 2 batteries (Cameron Sino's from Amazon and Ostent's from AliExpress) also had problems from the start so could the first internal battery I ordered (Cameron Sino's from AliExpress) and the second of 4 might just have been faulty and the hardware problem which affects all internal batteries might just have arisen in 2023 (the original and the 2 batteries I got after the first one I ordered)? If so, I might have had a great ammount of bad luck and confused a hardware problem with faulty batteries because I ordered 2 when I already had the hardware problem thinking they were just faulty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work