Name The Movie Part Deux

greyhound

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After the original Name the Movie was starting to get a little stale it was decided that a new game was started to introduce themed rounds to allow everyone the chance to play.

This thread will be used to advertise the scheduled games and for people to suggest themes for a particular round. It also allows players to make rule suggestions and discuss the game without making the individual game threads offtopic.

The themes will hopefully allow more new players to join in, themes can be genres or eras such as Horror and the 90s so suggest themes you would like to appear so they can be discussed here. Another suggestion was for a team game which would be feasible but we would have to discuss the rules for that one.

Each game will start on the first Sunday of each month and end on the Friday before, the winner of the round will be the person with the most points at the end of that round. Start and end dates will be edited into this post as more suggestions come in.

Each round will have a judge to watch over the thread and settle disputes or make decisions regarding players that have not returned to check the thread after posting an image or have not returned to check if their guess was correct (delaying the posting of a new image). The judge will be the winner of the previous round, the judge role does not require you to know anything about the genre just to moderate the game. It is the responsibility of the appointed judge to post the thread for their round, probably should enable email notification for the thread when you create it. I always forget though. Appointing the winner of the previous round as the judge makes sense as we know they enjoy and understand the game. If there are problems with that person being judge, holiday in Cambodia, for example, the runner-up will become judge and so on. The judge can remove points for delaying the game but I don't think it will be necessary.

Revised Rules:

One person posts a screenshot of a film, relevant to the theme of the round, making sure it isn't impossible to guess (ie include either a lead character or make it a renowned/significant scene)....or too easy. When a successful guess has been made and confirmed to be correct by the poster of the image, the person who guessed successfully posts the next screenshot and sends a PM to the forum member whose image they guessed correctly. This allows them to judge the guesses for that particular image in your absence. When confirming a film the score table must be updated with the new scores, post this in a codebox to make sure the list doesn't get too long. So, if you're going to make a guess and following that post a snapshot please ensure that you check back every so often to see if someone named your movie correctly or to check if your guess was correct so that the game isn't held up too long. Try not to repeat movies, especially the same scene...

When you have guessed a movie correctly, be sure to check back and post a movie as soon as possible because anyone will be allowed to post a new movie after 12 hours of inactivity. As for players that don't check back on the guesses for a movie they have posted, if there is no response within 12 hours the judge can post a new image. The new rule to send the name of your movie to the previous poster will help here.

When uploading images, I use http://imageshack.us/ as there is less of a chance it won't be accessible or blocked by ad software. Make sure not to include the name of the film/actor or any kind of information about the film in the filename.

Link to the original topic:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=66458

CODEScheduled Games

Theme Round Start & End Date Judge
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Horror Sun 3rd Aug - Fri 5th Sept greyhound
Sci Fi Sun 7th Sept - Fri 3rd Oct Tanas
80s Comedy Sun 5th Oct - Fri 7th Nov Tanas
Fantasy Mon 3rd Nov? - Fri 5th Dec TrolleyDave

There will inevitably be some issues to discuss in the 1st round, but hopefully we can get them sorted and end up with a good judging process to stick to.

The first game (horror genre) thread to follow...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I was thinking Comedy or Action, maybe like The Worst says using 80's as another defining point. I'm leaning more towards 80s comedy as I have loads in my DVD collection. lol

greyhound

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
Yeah I was thinking Comedy or Action, maybe like The Worst says using 80's as another defining point. I'm leaning more towards 80s comedy as I have loads in my DVD collection. lol

I don't think we can be so specific just yet, but it may work. If enough people want it we'll go with that for the September round.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would vote for 80's comedies. That sounds like it would be fun. But really, shouldn't the final decision on the theme be up to the judge/winner?

greyhound, can you edit the rules to include something about PMing the previous movie poster with the current answer? That was a great suggestion by FAST. It should keep the game moving, and keeps two people from going back and forth with answers.

greyhound

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Added the new rule to the first post, thanks FAST6191

no, the judge doesn't choose the next theme, the judge doesn't need to know anything about the theme they are judging, just the rules of the game. The whole point of the themes is to get new people playing, those people who were complaining about too many old films in the original game can come in here and vote for a genre they would like. That way we can ensure that themes are never too similar.

We'll go with the 80s Comedies for winner of the horror round to judge.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should remove the judge thing where the previous winner becomes a judge or add in a the judge is not allowed to play just to stop the judge from winning over and over again/stopping users from abusing their power by removing points to people that guess fairly.

ADDITION

Because of a dispute in the 80s Comedy that was not handled well by the judge who tried to guess but was 2late started a hissy and stopped the person who guess correctly and instead of saying im sorry you were not able to guess the next user gets the point he just went off yelling at the user calling him a dick/troll and other names for a good while.

greyhound

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
allow more time for people to suggest themes next time, the whole point of it is to allow new players to suggest a theme so they can play, 1 hour definitely isn't long enough. Also, the last round was meant to end on the 7th.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
greyhound said:
allow more time for people to suggest themes next time, the whole point of it is to allow new players to suggest a theme so they can play, 1 hour definitely isn't long enough. Also, the last round was meant to end on the 7th.
We tried to keep everything quick and ready. Since Tanas accidentally named the topic incorrectly we were all wrong on the end date so I assumed that it was the 3rd we need to quickly start another game.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think we need a couple rules clarifications before this round really gets underway. These are suggestions based on what has gone wrong recently:

1) We need to add something to the PM rule about what happens if the person who posts a movie doesn't PM the previous movie poster right away. I'm of the opinion that the previous poster still should not be able to guess, even if they haven't received a PM yet. It only seems fair.

2) We need a rule on what happens if you guess, are told you are correct, and then don't post a new movie. Something along the lines of "If you don't post a new movie within 20 hours, you lose the point you were just given, and the previous poster puts up a new movie."

As always, these are just suggestions, and should be open to reasonable debate. I just don't think we need the same thread de-railments this round, and an official rule should help with that.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looking for some suggestions for the next round of Name the Movie. Maybe something in the Crime / Drama genre? Or just drama from a certain decade?

We could do something more like documentaries or biographies, but people might not have much interest.

Thoughts?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm up for pretty much anything, even if I don't know the movie genre I still enjoy playing. Crime movies sound pretty good though, I'm a big fan of the genre.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so we've done
Horror
Sci Fi
80s Comedy
and Fantasy.
That covers most of the major genres...

*shrug* Animated perhaps?

Psychological Thriller?

Independent films?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tomqman said:
i think we need a festive/holiday theme, as of what time of year it is
I was thinking about that too tomqman. Movies with a holiday theme (Christmas, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years, any holiday this time of year). I just didn't know if we'd have enough material, and I certainly wouldn't want to alienate anyone.

The holiday wouldn't need to be the primary theme, just an identifiable element.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
tomqman said:
i think we need a festive/holiday theme, as of what time of year it is
I was thinking about that too tomqman. Movies with a holiday theme (Christmas, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years, any holiday this time of year). I just didn't know if we'd have enough material, and I certainly wouldn't want to alienate anyone.

The holiday wouldn't need to be the primary theme, just an identifiable element.

I like this idea, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1