Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
slayingdragons.jpg

Greetings 'tempers,
Some of you may have noticed that I've been very scarce around here for the past little bit. No need to worry (if you're apt to) I'm doing fine, the kids are doing fine, and my ass is still attached. I've just been busy.

My friends around here know that I've been separated from my wife for well over a year, and our two kids are in my custody full time. I'm living on savings right now, and odd computer jobs, but the money's running low. I have assets that I haven't been exploiting, a rental house that has lain dormant for several months, and items from my late father's estate that need to be sold. Trouble is, I'm a bad combination of nice and lazy. The reason I haven't been making much money on the rental house is that I've been renting it too low and to the wrong people.. friends. In the last case, I rented it to my kids' mom, hoping that she could be closer to our children, physically and emotionally. She had been living out of state, chasing a rainbow (the guy she left me for, don't get me started) and when she got pregnant, my goal was to move her back, help her out, and re-connect her with the kids. That didn't work so well. She moved into my rental house for a bit, then when her baby-daddy changed his mind and wanted her back, she raced back to the rainbow, leaving me in a lurch. I'll spare you the details, but in the end, my honorable intentions were twisted to her ends, and I was left holding the bag.

To make matters worse, my lazy was getting the best of me. My financial acumen is practically non-existant, and my money was running down the tubes in myriad ways that went largely unnoticed by me. I would use any excuse I could find, including GBAtemp, to put off going through the bills, paying them, and managing my costs.

I had to do something. Right about the time my wife (we aren't legally divorced yet) had her (boyfriend's) baby, I decided that I'd better get on the ball and push the divorce through, collect as much of what she owed me as I could, and start cleaning up my financial life.

I had a dragon to slay, and he was bearing down on me fast.

So, during my absence from GBAtemp, I've been drafting papers with my lawyer for the divorce, custody, and child-support agreements, learning to manage my money and learning to streamline my life so that I can actually see all it's workings in front of me. I've been doing this with the help of several websites and software designed around the concept of GTD (Getting Things Done), a concept designed by a guy named David Allen. GTD is practically a religion for some, and I'm not that deep into it, but I'm learning a lot of practical things in my studies of it. One of the main things I've taken from it so far, is the idea that "too much stuff" can distract you from seeing the big picture, and keep you from collecting and concentrating on the important aspects of your life. I've been very busy paring down. I have an office now, and a filing system, and a shredder. I've thrown so many things away in the last month that didn't need to be in my life that I'm finally starting to get a grip on what's left.. the important stuff.

Don't take this all to mean that GBAtemp isn't important to me, it is, and you all are, quite important. However, with everything going on in my life I had to make temporary sacrifices, so that in time, I will be better able to focus my attention on the stuff I consider fun, without detracting from what I need to do for myself and my family in the process. That day is coming. Coming soon. The dragon is under my lance, and I'm about to snuff dat suckah.

In the meantime, I'd like to thank the staff that has taken up my slack while I've been gone. I'd also like to thank Costello, who actually had the foresight to be concerned from the beginning of my tenure here, that I might not focus on my life first, and the 'temp afterwards. He has been wise and understanding, and I appreciate that greatly.

Also, I just wanted to say hey to my friends, and tell y'all I'd be back soon.

I'll be back soon.

I love you,
mthr

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Glad to hear you're doing alright, I have no doubt you'll get through it all fine. You are mthr after all. ( 8^D~ Come back to us when everything is hunky-dory in Fairyland 17, beh-bee.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
OMFG !
*reads*

edit:

QUOTE said:
In the meantime, I'd like to thank the staff that has taken up my slack while I've been gone. I'd also like to thank Costello, who actually had the foresight to be concerned from the beginning of my tenure here, that I might not focus on my life first, and the 'temp afterwards. He has been wise and understanding, and I appreciate that greatly.

not sure what to say.. but...
wub.gif
... I should give you a call sometimes (yeah I can call US landlines and mobiles for free)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's good news man, I'm glad you 're getting your problems sorted out, we all need to take some life turning decisions soon or later.
Good luck with the divorce and all, just don't give up on gaming just yet, if you stop for a prolonged time it might be hard to pick up again.......

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh jesus christ, I thought you had cancer or something else horrible.

It's good to hear from you and good to know you're, well, slaying that dragon.
I look forward to your return
smile.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am glad to hear you have your priorities straight. The last thing anyone on this board would want is for you to lose grip on important real life matters. Good luck with everything you need to accomplish, and don't rush your coming back to the temp. Make sure everything gets done first!

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I havenn't been into your life that much, but I see all the problems and stuff you're going trough...It's hard, I can imagine..
I can just say, best of luck, get things right, and come back for good...
smile.gif

I hope your kids aren't suffering from all those problems..
frown.gif

See you around...

P.S. What's up with the rats, ever got them?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Good to know you're still alive and well mthr! Hope you can solve all your problems, good luck!
smile.gif

That GTD thing looks interesting, and something that I'm also needing right now, constantly I find myself giving attention to less important stuff.. I'll take a look at it..

Again.. good luck! We're waiting for your return!

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! Can't wait for your mighty return, mthrnite. I
wub.gif
you very much! Though you haven't been entirely gone! I've had my share of fun with you.

Hope you finish things up and return to us. I've missed you! (And Mikki too) Join us in that IRC channel when you can and we'll all catch up!
happy.gif

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely hope it all works out for you and your kids mthr.

Keep us posted on the GTD philosophy. Sounds like something worth looking into for those of us with a very loose grasp on our lives.
unsure.gif

All the best, and we'll be thinking about you.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No sweats, ol' mthr.
Take the time you need, but try and hurry up - the website just ain't the same without ya
wink.gif

BTW, me and Sinkhead have started a new campaign:

What Would Mthrnite Do? (8^D~

wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like my girls like my car made in 2000
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like my products new, not buying a box of condoms (renewed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You already learned from buying used condoms from the first kid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tyrone said it was barley used
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wonder whatever happened to that ownage pranks guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I dont know why people hate on Starfield, I think its dope. I didn't play it day one, only started it couple weeks ago so maybe they fixed issues with updates already.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft could release a poop simulator and people will say it's shit
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Super Switch