Country
Thailand
Following My steps will let your guys having
yaynds.gif

- English Menu, Command, Stat
- English Item
- English Spell
- Some English Dialogue

There are some other languages that you can do with this trick as well: It is de, es, fr and it.

Just Extract a Dragon Quest 4 ROM with dslazy http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/DS/dslazy/dslazy.zip

You will find the Structure like this
- English Folder: Data\Data\MESS\en has 147 files
- Japan Folder: Data\Data\MESS\ja has 207 files (They are not finish with the Translation yet)
Then what you have to do is copy en\*.* to ja\ (or use other Language Folder)
Pack NDS ROM back to .nds
Enjoy Everyone !!!

--- Support Square Enix as well, if you like their Software
tongue.gif
-----

D

Deleted User

I have to add that there is not only english, but french , italian, german and spanish. The text is encoded in plain ascii....

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Woah awesome! This is actually really exciting for me as I hated the Dragon Quest 8 translation, and with DQ4 having all the text easily editable, I can change the enemy and spell names back to what I'm used to from all the previous Dragon Warrior games. Kafrizzle/kafrazzle etc. can be gone and done with! Return and Outside! Wyverns being called what they are! Yay!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome -- thanks!

Not sure if I did it right, but I'll try it out later. I've only used dslazy once or twice before, but I just copied all of the files in the en folder into the ja folder. Then when re-packing, it asked me to name the nds file. Hope I did everything right -- this game is certainly one I could appreciate playing now.

As an aside, I hope FFIV DS has a similar option, since it's likely to release in Japan well before the rest of the world.

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It does work with replacing the jp folder with the en one, but there's still lots left untranslated, and lots of weird formatting (you'll get errors in the text as well). Probably has to do with the game recognizing japanese formatting codes, and has to be switched over to the other languages. The first part is also all in Japanese, the english starts with Ragnars chapter (or should I say, the scottish starts...)

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found the spell name table, file b1003000.mpt. Full of Kafrizzle, Kacracks, Kathwacks, Zooms and Cock-a-Doodle doos (seriously). I'll probably have to wait until the english release to change these back.

Also found a file with the hero names, and looks like many have also been changed for this release of Dragon Quest 4. Not sure if they're more accurate to the Japanese names or what, but they all sound okay.

Ragnar, Alena, Kiryl (Cristo), Borya (Brey), Torneko (Taloon, this change makes sense), Meena (Nara), Maya (Mara). I'll have to check the Japanese text to make sure.

Edit: Tried changing some of the text with notepad, and it just causes errors everywhere in the menus (edited the item and spell names). Maybe I'll have to try a hex editor instead... (I'm new at this!)

Tried editing with a hex editor, has the same effect. Must be the capitalization I'm putting in, since all the names don't have any, I'm guessing the engine just can't handle it?

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
or u can use an AR Code to activate those

hacked by kenobi
Change language *
02106404 0000000X
X : 0 = JP, 1 = EN, 2 = FR, 3 = DE, 4 = IT, 5 = ES.

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I don't know much about hacking, programming and stuff, so my question might be really silly for some, but please forgive the noob...
shy.gif

Here goes: as there are 60 files less in the English folder compared to the Japanese one, wouldn't it be possible to just "copy/paste" the messages from here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/563409/16172
(credit goes to the author!)

into the Japanese files, by comparing which are translated and which are not, and basically "completing" the translation? And then rename the files in the English folder as they are in the Japanese one...

I don't know what the format is or if it needs to be converted, and wether it would require a lot of programming and hacking skills or not, but at least it would spare the looong translation process. Maybe I'm just dreaming that it would be so simple but it would be very nice!
yaynds.gif

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about how it would work, I might give it a go!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does work with replacing the jp folder with the en one, but there's still lots left untranslated, and lots of weird formatting (you'll get errors in the text as well). Probably has to do with the game recognizing japanese formatting codes, and has to be switched over to the other languages. The first part is also all in Japanese, the english starts with Ragnars chapter (or should I say, the scottish starts...)

Hmm...so it does, eventually, become understandable? I started it again with newly packed en folder replacing the ja folder, and though many of the item pick-ups were in English, the dialogue was still in Japanese. I just shut the game off before even re-entering the first village there. But if it becomes playable at some point, that would be great.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a HexEditor, you can also 'permanently' set the language to English.

Opem the ROM, goto the offset C4BF4, you should see the text 'JP', change it to 'EN' and save the ROM.

The game was made with a rough translation that wasn't complete by the time they released the JP version, so they simply took out the language select option in game.

Main problems with it are :
-No text in the Prologue (just MID errors). This part wasn't done at all yet apparently.
-Text format isn't done, so line breaks are wonky and words are cut in the middle.
-Control codes are present but do nothing at all.
-When you level up, it gives you HP and MP growth, but shows control codes for any other stat increase, so you don't know what or how much they are.
-Menu items, item names and monster names have no capital letters. Its probably part of missing code to automatically put capitals where needed.
-Burland and surroundings talk in a sort of broken english, scottish accent, a bit like Yangus does in DQ8, which is kinda hard to read sometimes
tongue.gif
Braians(sp) = Child?

Otherwise its been reported that text is still translated up into chapter 5.

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
So my previous post about copying/pasting the missing text from the translation guide wouldn't be possible, right?

(I knew it sounded too easy...
mad.gif
)

Edit: Has anyone tried another language yet, are they all as advanced as the English (maybe more!)?

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a HexEditor, you can also 'permanently' set the language to English.

Opem the ROM, goto the offset C4BF4, you should see the text 'JP', change it to 'EN' and save the ROM.

The game was made with a rough translation that wasn't complete by the time they released the JP version, so they simply took out the language select option in game.

Sorry but I can't understand that... I tried but Hexadecimal seems very complicated... I knew it would not just be copy and paste but still...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up