koentje3

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wii Scene Newzis reporting that a tool has been released that will allow you to read and write to the Wii's DVD drive (it's memory area which contains the DVD drive firmware) via a serial port on a linux computer.

This opens up the possibility of replacing the firmware in the Wii's DVD drive which could potentially open another way of getting homebrew to run on the Wii.

Nobody yet knows how far they have taken this already, this tool is simply a tease of what's to come. Source code has not yet been released.

bow.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know about homebrew but it certainly seems like a way to get backups running.
This sounds essentially the same as the current XB360 hacks that allow for backups to be read after the DVD drive has had it's firmware flashed.
Of course someone will still need to create some custom firmware for the Wii DVD drive before anything can happen.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. I will probably use this when a hacked firmware comes out that lets you run "backups". Of course, I would first need a DVD burner and install Linux on a computer with the right port...I'm going to put it on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100), but I don't know if it has the required port. It's got a Blue, 15-hole serial port on the back, and that's it. The only desktop in the house is the family computer, and I don't want to put Linux on that...

*disconnects Wii from Wiiconnect24 in case Nintendo releases a patch for this*

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this tool can read the firmware. I think it can only read/write from/to the RAM of the DVD drive. Just what I've heard.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This opens up the possibility of replacing the firmware in the Wii's DVD drive which could potentially open another way of getting homebrew to run on the Wii.

The possibility is there, but this is just one step to get us there. I think we're quite a ways away still from a finished hack.

It's got a Blue, 15-hole serial port on the back, and that's it.

That'd be a VGA/Video port. You're looking for a male connection with 9 pins, not a female with 15.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GOD **** IT!!  I HATE OWNING A MAC!!
Everthing good is on windows or linux...  sigh, time to look for a fairly decent linux emu, I guess.

You *can* install both windows or linux on a mac, you know that?
Not on a G5.. not windows at least. I would need virtual PC or some other emu... and a windows XP disc.
as for linux... I know nexxt to nothing about it... but booting it from a cd sounds nice.

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GOD **** IT!!  I HATE OWNING A MAC!!
Everthing good is on windows or linux...  sigh, time to look for a fairly decent linux emu, I guess.

Ummm...you can get usb to serial connectors from any electronics store. I have an old serial port sim card reader which I use with my iMac G5, and why are you complaining about not having Linux when you have OS X which is built on Unix? Chances are you can just compile the source code when it comes out or maybe your just another one of those OS X n00bz who don't know where terminal.app is
tongue.gif
BTW If you hate owning a Mac, I'll give you my GPO Box number and you can mail it to me, then I will install a PPC version of Linux on it just to prove to you that any Distro of Linux can run on it. Also how many GBATemp users are going to know how to use Linux? seriously don't you all use Windows XP and struggle to grasp that as well?

Peace.

indiraider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
[/quote]

Ummm...you can get usb to serial connectors from any electronics store. I have an old serial port sim card reader which I use with my iMac G5, and why are you complaining about not having Linux when you have OS X which is built on Unix? Chances are you can just compile the source code when it comes out or maybe your just another one of those OS X n00bz who don't know where terminal.app is
tongue.gif
BTW If you hate owning a Mac, I'll give you my GPO Box number and you can mail it to me, then I will install a PPC version of Linux on it just to prove to you that any Distro of Linux can run on it. Also how many GBATemp users are going to know how to use Linux? seriously don't you all use Windows XP and struggle to grasp that as well?

Peace.

[/quote]

LOL it is Apple users that are n00bs. They need a stupid simple interface with large icons of what they want to do with a simplified one step process leaving every option streamlined by the program. Apple users are also stylish posers in every way; they want to be in the 'apple group' smug from sniffing their own farts. They wait on every word Steve Job says he can announce Icrap tomorrow for 666.66 and and it will be amazing and cool. Yes Apple OSX is SOOO great; I remember Apple users using emulation software since the 90's to run windows applications. Then Bill Gates had to bail you guys out from bankruptcy from to save your 'awesome' company. In fact Apple users are retards in every sense because they need their computer to be like a McDonalds cash machine where the employee has to press one button to order your hamburger. Soon apple will release a new OS where the Apple user will just have to babble something to it and it will spit out a large simple icon. The people who migrated from Windows to Apple from the switch campaign are stupid N00bs, they don't know anything about spyware, malware, viruses ...etc to prevent it and are so surprised when they find out that their term paper is gone. "The screen just shut off". In a windows environment if you know what you are doing you should have a clean install of Windows, a secure system, and pretty much do anything you desire. Did I mention why Apple is such a secure platform? Its because its only about a smaller half of 10% (thats being generous) of the market share, where it is almost stupid for hackers to hack the mac platform (there has been hacks though). Linux is a great alternative to Windows simply because a lot of applications are windows exclusive, but linux beats both the mac OS and windows any day besides this downside. With a PC you can do anything than a mac can do and more.

Two exeptions to the mac is lame and for n00bs rule:

When Woz worked for Apple (Apple I & II) it was great. Macs are also great for final cut HD and protools if you are a professional.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Psionic Roshambo, the v39 build works pretty good even has 360 titles