Apple Peel 520 Retail Version Reviewed

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
5004212304_f7eaf2123c.jpg

The Apple Peel 520 may be called the greatest accessory for an iPod touch. It turns your iPod touch into a device fully capable of making / receiving calls as well as texts. This incredible slip-on case first showed up in August, we did a review on it, and it seems like the whole world of iPod touch owners got amazed by the cheeky hack. Although it first appeared as a dull black silicon case with a few technical glitches, the latest retail version we have here is fully remixed, with bugs fixed and features a durable hard shell. Here’s the official price: 520 yuan (about $77). Available in eight brilliant colors.

For Full Review Click Here[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Its here. Its here. Its finali-ly here! Its had an upgrade since that fairly plain silicon case hasn't it? The styling is based on an iPhone 4 and looks very nice in my opinion. All the buttons on the sides appear very solid. The battery's had an upgrade from 800mah to 1200mah. I look forward to some more reviews and opinions on the product as it makes its way around the world. Also I finally have a decent thickness comparison shot.
5011737212_68465246f7.jpg

So its about twice the thickness of the iPod Touch. Not bad and certainly reasonable. Definitely better than the other adapter that got announced recently which was thicker than an iPhone4 and iPod Touch stacked on top of each other.

Once the software's been upgraded a bit/jailbreak developers start working on alternative software this could be a very nice alternative to an iPhone. Too bad you can't choose a ringtone yet...
frown.gif

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
SPH73 said:
Ridiculous.

Just buy the iPhone.

iPhones are bogged down with plans amongst other things.

And stop trolling, I notice you've been doing it a lot. Just a forewarning.

You aren't the only one...

On-topic: Pretty neat if you ask me. Much more afforable I'm sure, and it doubles as a case (Not a big deal, but still cool).

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
SPH73 said:
Ridiculous.

Just buy the iPhone.

And stop trolling, I notice you've been doing it a lot. Just a forewarning.

Sharing my opionion isn't trolling. And since you're threatening me, let me just say that your news submissions are terrible and you should really stop posting stuff on this site.
smile.gif

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
SPH73 said:
Ridiculous.

Just buy the iPhone.

iPhone plans are no more expensive than most cell service plans.

This product is just ridiculous because you end up spending the extra money.

Now unless this thing lets you make phone calls for free, and that service is clear and reliable, this product is still ridiculous.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
SPH73 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
SPH73 said:
Ridiculous.

Just buy the iPhone.

Now unless this thing lets you make phone calls for free, and that service is clear and reliable, this product is still ridiculous.

In comparison to what exactly?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't like the fact that it has to be jailbroken to work :/

And SPH73, everyone doesn't have plans. I have a disposable number (I guess that's what it's called). Pre-paid cards... and I would have to get a plan instead and pay a lot extra each month, to get an iphone... and my current phone is dying, and I have an ipod... might as well spend 70 buck on this than get a new phone for 260? Right?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Issac said:

And SPH73, everyone doesn't have plans. I have a disposable number (I guess that's what it's called). Pre-paid cards... and I would have to get a plan instead and pay a lot extra each month, to get an iphone... and my current phone is dying, and I have an ipod... might as well spend 70 buck on this than get a new phone for 260? Right?

Not only that, but you would have to pay for a data plan to use the iPhone. Not so with this. You can use your regular no-frills plan right?

My question is though...can it recieve text and mms messages?

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:

iPhone plans require a 2 year contract with ATT, a smart phone plan which includes the insane data charges from ATT, and require you to buy the iPhone.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
TwinRetro said:
Issac said:

Not only that, but you would have to pay for a data plan to use the iPhone. Not so with this. You can use your regular no-frills plan right?

My question is though...can it recieve text and mms messages?

text messages yes... mms, im not sure about that...

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
SPH73 said:

iPhone plans require a 2 year contract with ATT, a smart phone plan which includes the insane data charges from ATT, and require you to buy the iPhone.
Actually, AT&T's smartphone plans have become slightly more reasonable within the last few months; you still have to have a data plan, but the minimum 200MB plan is half the price of the former $30-minimum you had to have. Plus I'm pretty sure there's no special iPhone plan and it's just been integrated with the normal smartphone plans. I'll still take an Android phone over an iPhone any day, and I'm already on AT&T.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SPH73 said:
Ridiculous.

Just buy the iPhone.
Hmm, not everyone has 60 dollars a month to spend on a plan for an iPhone just so they can make calls. I have no need for a pure iPhone plan but I certainly wouldn't mind getting rid of my cellphone for this adapter if it meant not having to shell out around 600 bucks for a 32GB iPhone just so I can listen to music and make calls. That and my current phone could probably still net me 200 dollars and I got it a year ago for 30 bucks. Some people have no need for data plans and just want to have an all-in-one device, the Touch still has Wi-Fi connectivity so if you want to browse the internet and are in a hot spot you have that option.

This would also be great for people on Pay As You Go plans where you just top up your phone whenever you need calling time, saves you the hassle of having to deal with any kind of plan or contract at all. You just go in and ask for as a Pay As You Go card and they give you the SIM card along with however much air time you want, I think you have to do a sign up fee as well but it's pretty good overall.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
BortzANATOR said:
Omg this looks so awesome.
Does anyone have bug fix list? The one before this had sooo many problems.
Not sure on any actual list but I think quite a few of the bugs will have been ironed out. The software definitely needs improvement but what's there at the moment is functional so all that's left is to add some frills e.g. CallerID on popups etc. You can probably now hang up recieved calls (something it was reported you could not do on the pre-production model with beta Software).

Things that I need before I buy this are:
-Knowledge it will definitely be supported by hearing talk of firmware updates/more Jailbreak Apps supporting the hardware (there are many MMS enhancement programs on Cydia, it would be great if those began to support the Peel 520)

-More reviews in various countries (preferably European) just so I know for sure it will work well in my country

-Customisable ringtones. Not as big a deal as the other 2 but still something I want from a phone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1