Hacking DS case broken

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My DS is broken at the hinge. Not very bad, it's a crack. Open- and closing it is a little crancy. Here's the Question for when it really breaks. What to do?
BTW: my warranty has expired
frown.gif

Off-topic: it's not this bad
tongue.gif

Broken_Nintendo_DS.jpg

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
If the screen, mic and wifi etc all work fine then just order a replacment case from Deal|Extreme or whatever and follow this awesome guide.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's the plastic which is cracked. The hinge is getting really flexible. The top flaps (in a shocky way) Til it made that click sound when it's fully opened.
2zivtba.jpg

I read the review of cases here on the temp and I wonder if the last one (with the 8.5) is the same as this one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32748

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kwartel said:
It's the plastic which is cracked. The hinge is getting really flexible. The top flaps (in a shocky way) Til it made that click sound when it's fully opened.
2zivtba.jpg

I read the review of cases here on the temp and I wonder if the last one (with the 8.5) is the same as this one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32748

Hmm, it looks very similar but you might wanna stick with the other transparent cases.
Also theres another guide on the interwebs that you should use to cross-reference with the
one on GBAtemp since the pics on here have the little GBAtemp logo which makes a few
of the details harder to see.

EDIT: found the site : http://www.xcm.cc/how_to_disassemble_the_nds_lite.htm

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I would highly recommend the DX ones. Not only did it fit together perfectly without having to file anything down, it came with more stuff than any other case I could find on the net. Once together it feels just as sturdy as the original, looks awesome, and is so cheap I bought 2 and frankensteined my DS.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShatteredScreens said:
I would highly recommend the DX ones. Not only did it fit together perfectly without having to file anything down, it came with more stuff than any other case I could find on the net. Once together it feels just as sturdy as the original, looks awesome, and is so cheap I bought 2 and frankensteined my DS.

Not quite, the case I bought from DX didn't fit that well, its very crooked.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Bently said:
ShatteredScreens said:

What case?

I got the transparent ones, only problems I had were when I left things like the wifi antenna cable in the wrong place, making the case unable to fit togther (my own fault).

Also, when did you get it? Things have been improved, for example the screen boarders are the right colour now, instead of being either black or white.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShatteredScreens said:
Bently said:
ShatteredScreens said:

What case?

I got the transparent ones, only problems I had were when I left things like the wifi antenna cable in the wrong place, making the case unable to fit togther (my own fault).

Also, when did you get it? Things have been improved, for example the screen boarders are the right colour now, instead of being either black or white.

I got the 'Premium Quality Lime Green' one.

Ah.. I had a lot of problems, like the top part of the system doesnt match with the bottom. I can't really explain it but its like the top part is wider than the bottom.

I ordered it September 26 2009, right after my Birthday. It arrived in November... (i live in Canada btw) but the borders were already green so
thats good.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShatteredScreens said:
Is it the same one? Nice!

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
kwartel said:
ShatteredScreens said:
Is it the same one? Nice!
Yep, but I got blue and clear ones, but it should be just the same as mine, only green.

Just some tips: Use the original screws as much as possible, they seem to be easier to screw in. However you HAVE to use some of the parts it comes with or the case wont fit together properly. I found that those items were the silver ring that the ribbon cable goes through at the left hinge, the screw that goes through the game slot on the back of the DS, and the 2 screws that go into the corner with the LEDs.

And when putting the wifi anntena back on, the little plastic bits it sits into are slightly bigger, and it's easier to wiggle the antenna back into place rarther than pushing it down. This isn't really a bad thing, since it keeps the antenna more secure, it just takes a little more pressure to get it on.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the info... BTW What about the delivertime (or what it's called
tongue.gif
) at DX

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
|Well, usually for me it takes 7 to 9 days; but with chinese new year finishing the other week, I think Hong Kong post is very busy with a lot of backlog, so it might be around 14 days.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
kwartel said:
Thanks for the info.
Q4
tongue.gif

is the replacement touchscreen from DX any good?
I don't know, I'm still waiting for it to arrive!
tongue.gif

Some people say it feels like the original, older reviews say it's slightly thinner and a tiny bit less responsive than the original. I tend to listen to the latest reviews since if the product has been improved the newer reviews will reflect that.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
The touch module has just arrived about 1 minute ago, I'll be installing it later today
smile.gif

I'll tell you how good it is.

Edit: Fits fine, doesn't seem thinner but it is slightly less responsive (only a tiny bit) and then I put a screen protector on and you need to be a little firmwer to properly register. Say you draw a line softly, it'll have gaps in it, when you put a little pressure on it's fine.

But that's mainly due to the non-hori screen protector
smile.gif

Also, the replacement button pads are AWESOME. IMO, they're BETTER than the originals. Feels really nice, especially the DPAD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt