OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
netflixc.jpg

QUOTE said:
After years of rumors and an encouraging statement from Netflix's CEO, it appears to be official: the Nintendo Wii will gain the ability to stream content from Netflix's "Watch Instantly" selections. The New York Times reports that the companies will announce the deal later today.

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime called the addition of Netflix functionality "a continuation of an effort to bring more and more entertainment to consumers who interact with the Wii." The AP notes (via Engadget) that, like the PS3's implementation of the service, Netflix on Wii will require an "instant streaming disc."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/netflix-...ii-this-spring/

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wchill said:
It remains to be seen how good the quality will be, though.
Probably about the same as iPlayer, which I've had no problems with when watching films on it but still not something I'd pay for.

Not really worth it to be honest.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD quality is okay, especially if you are watching older TV series or documentaries that wouldn't benefit from being up-converted to 720/1080.

Nothing showing up on Netflix's webpage about it though, I was hoping I could put in my disc order now.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CasperH said:
Yay for piracy
biggrin.gif
Could it be possible for someone to dump his NETFLIX disc and upload it online, and then a user download it, burn it and play it on his wii? Do netflix discs contain the software? Oh and do you have to make an account by using a US credit card? These are some of my questions.

C

CasperH

Gullwing said:
CasperH said:
Yay for piracy
biggrin.gif
Could it be possible for someone to dump his NETFLIX disc and upload it online, and then a user download it, burn it and play it on his wii? Do netflix discs contain the software? Oh and do you have to make an account by using a US credit card? These are some of my questions.
As for he dumping, yes
As for the account, I have no idea... Never really used Netflix

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
CasperH said:
Yay for piracy
biggrin.gif
Why bother? If you're going to steal films at least just download them as you usually would and run them through Mplayer.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yup. Great for everyone in America. It won't be available anywhere else, even here in Canada (America's Hat). Unless you have a US billing address and Credit Card to use... then maybe it'd work (unless they check IP's, not sure about that). I wish we could get NetFlix service, I'd have it streaming to my Xbox 360 if I could. And the disc will only be a media player/streamer, let you log in to your NetFlix account and choose to play/stream whatever movie you want. And yup, it'll be maximum 480p Widescreen, which won't be terrible, but lacking true Dolby 5.1.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link to Reserve Wii Disc

Make sure you are logged onto Netflix first before clicking on that link.

To answer the other questions in this thread:
I don't think it's going to work out side of the US (maybe Canada) due to licensing restrictions.
You can have a few devices (consoles, PCs, etc) attached to one account, but only one can be streaming at a time.
You need to have a Netflix subscription for this to work. Unlimited streaming only is less than $10 a month.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is the webpage: www.netflix.com/Wii

Pretty interesting and I think if they market this good this can be really successful for Nintendo and Netflix!

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I think it's safe to say that the reason the PS3 and Wii require a streaming disc is because the 360 has an exclusive contract for integration into the XMB. I figure that there will be a download for both the PS3 and Wii in the future when that contract runs out.

Kazooie77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone that does not own a Roku box or Xbox 360. You have to activate both in order to stream from the Roku box and Xbox 360. I don't think that would be issue but could be also you have to have an account that the minum is the 1 disc out plan to be able to stream videos from them. I have the Roku for my living room and my office TV had a PC hooked up so I stream from the web site. So I'll never use the wii for Netflix.Plus the wireless sucks that in the wii.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been a Netflix subscriber for about two years.
I just clicked on the reserve disc link and I was all set, a message told me that when the disc will be available in sprint they'll sent me to me free of charge !
My plan lets me rent DVD and gives me unlimited internet instant watching.
When I don't have any DVD at home and I feel like watching a movie I do it on my PC, whuch by the way is hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable in high definition.
But it's kind of an inconvenience because #1 I have a cable running through my room from the PC to the TV which kind of bothers me ( actually 2 included the audio ) and #2 once I start the movie if I want to pause or fast forward I have to stand up and use the mouse....
I'm excited about the Wii version because I'll be able to browse the movies from my couch and I'll be able to perform all the interactions with the Wii remote.
And I can get rid of the annoying cables !
There will be a slightly loss of quality for sure ( not so much as some movies and TV shows are presented in upscaled SD anyway on my PC, thus non necessarly improving the quality anyway), but since it's free for me (because I'm already a subscriber ), why complain about it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.