wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
MegaZeux DS 10/7/09
Update
btb10709.jpg

This port of MegaZeux to the DS supports smaller game worlds. Extract the files to the /games/megazeux in the ROOT of your MicroSD card. A Slot-2 RAM expansion pack can be used for larger worlds. For those interested, MegaZeux is a ZZT clone originally written by Greg Janson and is now Open Source. ZZT was a game creation system for DOS written by Tim Sweeney.

Controls said:
• D-PAD = movement (arrow keys)
• A + D-PAD = shoot in this direction
• B = enter
• X = save game
• Y = load game
• START = p (i.e. P to Play in the title screen)
• SELECT = escape
• L TRIGGER = tab
• R TRIGGER = toggle keyboard

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Project Homepage
icon11.gif
ZZT WIKI
discuss.png
Discuss

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG, MegaZeux is so NOT a clone of ZZT. If you had EVER used ZZT, you'd know that right off the bat. MegaZeux was inspired by ZZT, but is in NO WAY a clone.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
thanks for that useful bit of drivel.

i love the use of "OMG" and the caps lock key, really states your case.

now lets quote the authors homepage, and then you can say you're sorry for ripping on something I typed as news.

http://kvance.com/archive/mzx/

QUOTE said:
This is a collection of all my MegaZeux (MZX) related stuff. MegaZeux is a ZZT clone originally written by Greg Janson. It is now an open source program maintained by the community.

You'll need to download a copy of MegaZeux to play my MZX games. Although it was originally a DOS program, MZX will run on any operating system these days.

i agree with the statement, it is a clone of zzt, regardless of anything else the core element remains the same.

-another world

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks okay, but woooow the DS in the pic is missing one hinge, I wonder how it's still able to function.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The hinge is just a piece of plastic. The top-screen data lines are transferred by ribbon cable, and while that is obviously at higher risk due to not being kept straight by a functioning dual hinge, but not broken yet.

kvance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSMZX author here.

The hinge broke almost exactly after it went out of warranty. The hardware works fine, except you have to hold the screen up with a finger, so it's too much of a hassle to play games on. Now I use it for homebrew development/testing, since I don't really care what happens to it.

There definitely seems to be a problem with EZFlash hardware. Unfortunately, I don't have any to test. Can anyone who's having problems run this memory tester for me: http://www.pineight.com/ds/memtestARM-0.03.zip If that works, but DSMZX doesn't, I'll switch to that version of the RAM Unlocking API. If neither of them work, can DSLinux detect your RAM?

Thanks!

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kvance said:
Can anyone who's having problems run this memory tester for me: http://www.pineight.com/ds/memtestARM-0.03.zip If that works, but DSMZX doesn't, I'll switch to that version of the RAM Unlocking API. If neither of them work, can DSLinux detect your RAM?

Test hardware:
NDS Lite
EDGE v1.45
EZ-Flash 3-in-1 [First version]

Megazeux: Fail
memtestARM "EZ-Flash": Fail
memtestARM "Unknown": Works! (Detects "EZ-Flash")

Strange that memtestARM didn't detect my pack when I correctly specified the type...

kvance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
velocity37 said:
Strange that memtestARM didn't detect my pack when I correctly specified the type...
Interesting! Since dsmzx doesn't specify the type, it may work. Here's a test version with the RAM Unlocking API code from memtestARM: http://kvance.com/fora/mzxrun-eztest.nds.zip That's just the .nds image, make sure you have the rest of the supporting files in /games/megazeux. Let me know how it runs!

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
thanks for that useful bit of drivel.

i love the use of "OMG" and the caps lock key, really states your case.

now lets quote the authors homepage, and then you can say you're sorry for ripping on something I typed as news.

http://kvance.com/archive/mzx/

QUOTE said:
This is a collection of all my MegaZeux (MZX) related stuff. MegaZeux is a ZZT clone originally written by Greg Janson. It is now an open source program maintained by the community.

You'll need to download a copy of MegaZeux to play my MZX games. Although it was originally a DOS program, MZX will run on any operating system these days.

i agree with the statement, it is a clone of zzt, regardless of anything else the core element remains the same.

-another world

The dude can type what he wants, it doesn't make it true.

Go google ZZT.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
kvance said:
Interesting! Since dsmzx doesn't specify the type, it may work. Here's a test version with the RAM Unlocking API code from memtestARM: http://kvance.com/fora/mzxrun-eztest.nds.zip That's just the .nds image, make sure you have the rest of the supporting files in /games/megazeux. Let me know how it runs!

this time it booted up with no issue using the 3in1new. i tested with proton but that still gives a GURU mediation error as others have said. i'll try some other levels to see what happens.

CIMG3730.JPG

[edit]john smoov boots up and plays fine[/edit]

-another world

kvance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a report of the new RAM unlocking code working for EZFlash hardware, so I've bumped the version to build 2.1 with that code added. There's no other changes.

Thanks for your help!

kvance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
this time it booted up with no issue using the 3in1new. i tested with proton but that still gives a GURU mediation error as others have said. i'll try some other levels to see what happens.

Thanks for the info. Proton crashes on the first board (their cave/hideout thing) on my SuperCard CF, so there may be a different problem with this game specifically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1