Hacking The R4 bricked my DS Lite (personal story)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT for August 18: Please go to the last page if you've read this. I bumped it up on August 18th to get some opinions on my last post.

I know this is a technical issue and such, but I think it's important that I get this out in a place where everyone can see it and such.

Recently, I bought a new DS Lite (Cobalt Blue) because my old white one succumbed to a nasty fall on a wood floor. Said Cobalt DS ran for about 3 weeks without a hitch. Today, I installed GRID onto my Kingston MicroSD card. Placing the R4 into my slot revealed.........a bricked DS. The lights wouldn't turn on and neither did anything in the system.

I know it's the R4 because I tried this on no less than 2 different DS Lites (all new). Yes, you heard it, 2! My first one was still in store-warranty (30 days to exchange for the same system) and I pretended my second was bricked out of the box. This is the one I bricked first. I took it back thinking it was a Nintendo issue. The one I got in exchange worked fine without the R4 in it. I was able to set the date and settings. ONLY when I inserted my R4 and tried to power on did it not respond. It was permanent and fully destroyed the DS even after taking the R4 out.

It should be noted that the R4 alone will do nothing. If I have no microSD inserted, I can load the DS. There's likely something on my MicroSD that is bricking it. I don't know what it is, and I now have my third DS Lite new in the box. I refuse to use the R4 anymore because I'm afraid I will brick it.

The reason I'm telling everyone this is to express the fact that an R4 CAN brick your DS by using something on the microSD card. It's probably NOT the R4 company's doing, but rather some corrupt data on my microSD card. I just wanted to make it clear that it is possible to create a loader running from the R4 that can brick a DS Lite. I'll be glad to give any more information I can on this.

My R4 is the original spring-mounted version. It was made and purchased before the clones were made and I've confirmed it's a legit one.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, have you tried formatting your microSD card and trying to put up only safe games/applications you used before, and that you're sure they work?

Or maybe it's best if you search for a new cart! (and please, please, don't make a topic about which one to get..
wink.gif
)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hova1

Yes, that's correct. The system won't turn on at all. No power lights come on or anything.

I guess I should say mine WAS bricked. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. The new one is still new in the box not used yet. I refuse to try the R4 on it again in case it bricks the new one.

@Toni

I haven't tried to do anything because I'm afraid to brick my DS. I had to take each previously bricked DS to a different Gamestop to avoid raising suspicion. And I'm not going to ask what card is best. Don't worry. I know.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
@hova1

Yes, that's correct. The system won't turn on at all. No power lights come on or anything.

I guess I should say mine WAS bricked. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. The new one is still new in the box not used yet. I refuse to try the R4 on it again in case it bricks the new one.
Sounds like you simply blew the fuse in your Nintendo DS which is common for clones and uncommon for the actual R4. While it has happened, its very rare and can normally be fixed by taking apart the R4 and sliding a piece of paper in at a certain point to prevent the flashcard from shorting out.

dogman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
my guess is that the microsd did a short circuit in the R4, maybe blowing a fuse on the DS or something. It's a shame you didnt test the R4 with another microSD.

Anyway, time to buy a new flashcart
smile.gif

Best of luck!

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
It's not the R4 that shorted out. It's the ds. It doesn't work at all.
The R4 must have shorted out the DS in some way. I've never heard of this happening before. You should try reformatting your card or try an official cart on the DS before using the R4 and see what happens.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I KNOW it's the microSD that did the damage, not the R4 itself. I can play commercial games, gba games, and even insert the R4 WITHOUT the microSD perfectly. They work fine. It's that microSD loaded with all my DS roms that did the damage. I've decided never to use an R4 again.

Can other flashcards such as the Cyclo or Super card DS-1 short out a DS?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
I KNOW it's the microSD that did the damage, not the R4 itself. I can play commercial games, gba games, and even insert the R4 WITHOUT the microSD perfectly. They work fine. It's that microSD loaded with all my DS roms that did the damage. I've decided never to use an R4 again.

Can other flashcards such as the Cyclo or Super card DS-1 short out a DS?

So far, I've heard of the M3 real doing that which happened twice, but that was LOONNNNNNNGGG ago. Nowadays, unless it's a N5, you wouldn't a DS "bricked" so often.

I haven't heard of anything with different carts though.

belzilep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible too that the loading mecanism in the R4 is broken, causing a short-circuit between two pins of the MicroSD (or any part only activated when there is a MicroSD to complete the power loop) and increasing the amps enough to blow a fuse. You can't really know. Best choice is to ditch the R4, if you ask me.

Or you could open the R4 and look at the connections. If you still can read the MicroSD on PC, it should be fine. Still reformat it though, there could be data corruption. and check the MicroSD pins too, a PC is more resistant to power surges.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No power lights turning on doesn't sound like a software brick. Sounds like the r4 is short circuiting your DS and blowing something.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreyAlien said:
No power lights turning on doesn't sound like a software brick. Sounds like the r4 is short circuiting your DS and blowing something.
I knew this. The lights don't come on AT ALL.

I can access the microSD fine when I plug it into a PC. There seems no problem there. By themselves, the R4 and microSD seem to work fine. It's when I combine them and put them into the DS together that the brick occurs. It makes sense that there is some sort of electric reaction between the two cards that is shorting things out.

I posted this as a sort of response to the old news "new R4 firmware will brick DS if using a clone". I just wanted to tell people that it seems very possible that they could do it. My R4 IS NOT A CLONE though. So I'm just an unlucky bastard.

Really though, can the Cyclo or Supercard DS-1 do this?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
granville said:
Really though, can the Cyclo or Supercard DS-1 do this?
I've been quite active on the official Supercard forum and I can't say that I've heard of a Scds1 doing this. Don't know about CycloDS though.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My old SuperCard miniSD Slot-2 card bricked my Mario Kart Edition Fat DS. Suffice to say that the flash card was stolen along with a white DS Lite not long after. I hope it bricked on whoever stole it, cause that was around the time that the SC DS One had been released as well
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag