Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ct_pack.jpg

Great news, Chrono Trigger fans! Everything you could have hoped for has come to pass (except those of you who believe the spectacular 16-bit visuals, arguably the greatest of all time need to be removed in favor of blocky DS graphics).

The DS version of the game contains the original 16-bit visuals with the possible benefit of the DS's enriched color palette. It WILL include the PS1 anime FMV cutscenes provided by Akira Toriyama's very own Bird Studio. However it will NOT contain any of the slowdown or graphical/sound glitches of the PS1 version. To help keep the soundtrack accurate they brought in Yasunori Mitsuda to keep watch over everything and he has apparently done just that. As well, the PS1's beastiary and possibly other additional features will be included in the game.

Onto the DS changes: the game has only been improved. As many know a new dungeon/additional story content will be added, as well as a multiplayer function. The battle screen has changed somewhat (for the better). The battle menu has been moved down to the touch screen enabling the original screen to show much more of the battle instead of being taken up by a menu (Original & DS). As you can see new status bars are beneath the characters instead of a bulky menu, it is assumed that those bars are toggle-able.

The second screen/touch screen will be used for a detailed map of areas when not in battle (the map areas will become available as you explore them, no sooner). In addition you have the OPTION to use the touch screen controls for both menus and movement on the map. However I must stress that this is OPTIONAL, you can use the D-pad as you would in the original.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168737&p=39

UPDATE 1: This just in, while the game's default name for the main character will still be "Crono", its been confirmed that the DS version of the game fixes the limitation of the original SNES cart and WILL allow you to choose the name "Chrono" as in the Japanese version. Also, according to the representatives of S-E there are plans to include a single screen mode for purists. Though if I do say so myself that seems pointless given the fact that none of the new features are mandatory. Still, the more features the better!

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/07/15/testi...stylus-support/

UPDATE 2: Another update for you fine folks, it's been confirmed by Square-Enix that the game IS receiving a new more accurate translation to correct the few small inaccuracies of the original (just as the Final Fantasy Advance enhanced ports had done).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/e308-chr...rols-explained/

UPDATE 3: It's been a while since my last update, but a great deal of new information has become available. Lets start with the release dates: The game will be available in North America on November 25, 2008, Japan during Winter 2008, and in PAL territories in early 2009. The official boxart has apparently been released by Square-Enix, as seen here, and above.

Gameplay-wise the "Wireless Play Mode" is now being called the "Arena Mode", what this entails in unknown. Also, the additional game dungeon is cited as being "dungeons" now; plural. Finally, the game has apparently been rated E10+ for Animated Blood, Mild Violence, Suggestive Themes, and Use of Alcohol. We couldn't have asked for a better rating as it means the original content is intact, yet it can reach the widest audience possible. Further updates as they become available.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=52933

In conclusion, this is the DEFINITIVE version of Chrono Trigger. The FMV cutscenes, new story and gameplay content, new features that are 100% optional, a new translation and none of the drawbacks of the less than mediocre PS1 port. It's essentially everything we fans have ever wanted from the original that wasn't done to begin with.

Suranwrap

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i am super excited for this game. I am a huge CT fan, and a portable version will be awesome, as playing RPGs on handhelds make things so much better and feels like less time is wasted.
But i am a little sad that the graphics will be the same, but I am super excited anyways.

NINTENDO DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet now taht this is portable.I might havbe more time to get all the endings.
I only got 9,but I definately am uber excited.

#1 game of all time.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The only things that still need confirmation is if the other PS1 bonus features outside of the beastiary are in it (I believe there was an ending viewer that allowed you to watch endings you'd gotten, and I think there was also a music viewer dealy). If there is a new translation or not (all of the FF Advance ports had it, and Chrono Trigger while reasonably accurate had a few mistakes here and there). And finally what the multiplayer and new dungeon/story content are.

On that, I'm hoping the content will deal with the only unresolved plot thread in the game that wasn't wrapped up by the end of the game or in Chrono Cross. That being...
What happened to Dalton after he fell in that portal.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know what to think about the new map...It makes sense if more of the map becomes visible as you explore the dungeons and the overworld, but if everything's visible from the start it'd ruin the game, just like Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was ruined by the map (amongst many, many other things, but that's a different story).

Apart from that, it sounds very promising...There's no question I'll play this, but I'm rather saving my money for the SNES version...or something entirely different. Anyway, I'd rather buy the SNES version than the DS version, for the sake of collecting. Besides, does SquareEnix really need my money? Nah. No need to have double standards.

D

Deleted User

That sounds awesome! I love the fact that it features the original 16 Bit graphics.

Thanks for the heads up, Ace.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Vater Unser said:
I don't know what to think about the new map...It makes sense if more of the map becomes visible as you explore the dungeons and the overworld
Just wanted to let you know, that's exactly how it is. The areas become visible as you explore them, no sooner.
smile.gif

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Vater Unser said:
I don't know what to think about the new map...It makes sense if more of the map becomes visible as you explore the dungeons and the overworld
Just wanted to let you know, that's exactly how it is. The areas become visible as you explore them, no sooner.
smile.gif
That sounds awesome.
Chrono Trigger DS is win.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great, ok I still recommend playing it on an actual SNES but still most can't so this is the next best thing.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hadrian said:
Sounds great, ok I still recommend playing it on an actual SNES but still most can't so this is the next best thing.
Next best thing? This is better. Like I said, this is the definitive version. It has everything the SNES version does, everything the PS1 version does (except the bugs!
laugh.gif
), and all new story content and features exclusive to the DS. If there was an exact duplicate of me running around and he knew everything I did and things I didn't? He'd be the better version even if I'm the original. Extra content with no drawbacks whatsoever = better.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Very cool. I never played the PS1 version, so the additions are very welcome.
My only problem is that I just decided to playthrough Chrono Trigger a couple of months back, and am still in the middle of playing it. I'm gonna have to play through all those hours I've spent playing already.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, everything sounds good.
Im curoius about the added multiplayer features.

Would have been nice to see it in 3D on a bigger console, but maybe after this they'll try remaking Chrono Cross or something?

I can't wait to see more of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I'd quite enjoy a life of taking it easy. But I haven't reached that life yet.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    dracula has some sick bars ngl
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/XnZLsJuNCnM?feature=shared&t=9 +1