Chrono Trigger DS: Absolutely perfect

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Ace Gunman, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. Ace Gunman
    OP

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    [​IMG]

Great news, Chrono Trigger fans! Everything you could have hoped for has come to pass (except those of you who believe the spectacular 16-bit visuals, arguably the greatest of all time need to be removed in favor of blocky DS graphics).

The DS version of the game contains the original 16-bit visuals with the possible benefit of the DS's enriched color palette. It WILL include the PS1 anime FMV cutscenes provided by Akira Toriyama's very own Bird Studio. However it will NOT contain any of the slowdown or graphical/sound glitches of the PS1 version. To help keep the soundtrack accurate they brought in Yasunori Mitsuda to keep watch over everything and he has apparently done just that. As well, the PS1's beastiary and possibly other additional features will be included in the game.

Onto the DS changes: the game has only been improved. As many know a new dungeon/additional story content will be added, as well as a multiplayer function. The battle screen has changed somewhat (for the better). The battle menu has been moved down to the touch screen enabling the original screen to show much more of the battle instead of being taken up by a menu (Original & DS). As you can see new status bars are beneath the characters instead of a bulky menu, it is assumed that those bars are toggle-able.

The second screen/touch screen will be used for a detailed map of areas when not in battle (the map areas will become available as you explore them, no sooner). In addition you have the OPTION to use the touch screen controls for both menus and movement on the map. However I must stress that this is OPTIONAL, you can use the D-pad as you would in the original.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168737&p=39

UPDATE 1: This just in, while the game's default name for the main character will still be "Crono", its been confirmed that the DS version of the game fixes the limitation of the original SNES cart and WILL allow you to choose the name "Chrono" as in the Japanese version. Also, according to the representatives of S-E there are plans to include a single screen mode for purists. Though if I do say so myself that seems pointless given the fact that none of the new features are mandatory. Still, the more features the better!

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/07/15/testi...stylus-support/

UPDATE 2: Another update for you fine folks, it's been confirmed by Square-Enix that the game IS receiving a new more accurate translation to correct the few small inaccuracies of the original (just as the Final Fantasy Advance enhanced ports had done).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/e308-chr...rols-explained/

UPDATE 3: It's been a while since my last update, but a great deal of new information has become available. Lets start with the release dates: The game will be available in North America on November 25, 2008, Japan during Winter 2008, and in PAL territories in early 2009. The official boxart has apparently been released by Square-Enix, as seen here, and above.

Gameplay-wise the "Wireless Play Mode" is now being called the "Arena Mode", what this entails in unknown. Also, the additional game dungeon is cited as being "dungeons" now; plural. Finally, the game has apparently been rated E10+ for Animated Blood, Mild Violence, Suggestive Themes, and Use of Alcohol. We couldn't have asked for a better rating as it means the original content is intact, yet it can reach the widest audience possible. Further updates as they become available.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=52933

In conclusion, this is the DEFINITIVE version of Chrono Trigger. The FMV cutscenes, new story and gameplay content, new features that are 100% optional, a new translation and none of the drawbacks of the less than mediocre PS1 port. It's essentially everything we fans have ever wanted from the original that wasn't done to begin with.

2. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Wow! I'm convinced.

This WILL be the best Chrono Trigger ever!

3. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    YEAH THANKS ACE.

This information is awesome.
    WOOOOOOOOTAGE.

4. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    i am super excited for this game. I am a huge CT fan, and a portable version will be awesome, as playing RPGs on handhelds make things so much better and feels like less time is wasted.
    But i am a little sad that the graphics will be the same, but I am super excited anyways.

5. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Awesome news!

My favorite game of all time is getting a worthy remake [​IMG]

6. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Is it known if there's going to be more anime cutscenes? Me, I felt that the PS1 version had too little.

7. NINTENDO DS

Member NINTENDO DS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sweet now taht this is portable.I might havbe more time to get all the endings.
    I only got 9,but I definately am uber excited.

#1 game of all time.

8. Ace Gunman
    OP

Canada
    The only things that still need confirmation is if the other PS1 bonus features outside of the beastiary are in it (I believe there was an ending viewer that allowed you to watch endings you'd gotten, and I think there was also a music viewer dealy). If there is a new translation or not (all of the FF Advance ports had it, and Chrono Trigger while reasonably accurate had a few mistakes here and there). And finally what the multiplayer and new dungeon/story content are.

On that, I'm hoping the content will deal with the only unresolved plot thread in the game that wasn't wrapped up by the end of the game or in Chrono Cross. That being...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I don't know what to think about the new map...It makes sense if more of the map becomes visible as you explore the dungeons and the overworld, but if everything's visible from the start it'd ruin the game, just like Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was ruined by the map (amongst many, many other things, but that's a different story).

Apart from that, it sounds very promising...There's no question I'll play this, but I'm rather saving my money for the SNES version...or something entirely different. Anyway, I'd rather buy the SNES version than the DS version, for the sake of collecting. Besides, does SquareEnix really need my money? Nah. No need to have double standards.

10. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    That sounds awesome! I love the fact that it features the original 16 Bit graphics.

Thanks for the heads up, Ace.

11. Ace Gunman
    OP

Canada
    Just wanted to let you know, that's exactly how it is. The areas become visible as you explore them, no sooner. [​IMG]

12. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    That sounds awesome.
    Chrono Trigger DS is win.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Sounds great, ok I still recommend playing it on an actual SNES but still most can't so this is the next best thing.

14. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    sounds good

15. Ace Gunman
    OP

Canada
    Next best thing? This is better. Like I said, this is the definitive version. It has everything the SNES version does, everything the PS1 version does (except the bugs! [​IMG] ), and all new story content and features exclusive to the DS. If there was an exact duplicate of me running around and he knew everything I did and things I didn't? He'd be the better version even if I'm the original. Extra content with no drawbacks whatsoever = better.

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Very cool. I never played the PS1 version, so the additions are very welcome.
    My only problem is that I just decided to playthrough Chrono Trigger a couple of months back, and am still in the middle of playing it. I'm gonna have to play through all those hours I've spent playing already.

17. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Well, everything sounds good.
    Im curoius about the added multiplayer features.

Would have been nice to see it in 3D on a bigger console, but maybe after this they'll try remaking Chrono Cross or something?

I can't wait to see more of it.

18. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The anime videos are a surprise. So this is going to be a 128MB file, no? Or, dare I say, a 256er? [​IMG]

19. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Awesome. I really hope this will sell well, as it could mean, finally, a NEW game in the serie!!

20. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Perfect, but still a port. Should have remade it with 2D visuals and new effects.