Homebrew What's your reason for wanting arm9/arm11 control?

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
for piracy. but it's also nice to have something that 3ds is capable of but nintendo decided to not give us. gba and dsi "bc", screenshoots, save backup for all 3ds games.

sorry but I have to ask, how would you manage to downgrade without arm9 control if it's the one which handles signcheck?
There is no need to get ARM11 for that, as downgrade is not necessarily NAND downgrade. There are legit CIAs for updates on that iso site.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

because if you give update pack with lower version, it will be ignored?
There is a way to workaround it.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to coldboot cfw on my 9.9 Hyrule N3DS. Only one of my 3ds' that is above 9.2. I have faith that something will be found eventually. Or it could be like the ps3 and we won't ever see anything new. That would be sad

Acryt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easier access to romhacks for all by just downloading, then playing. Would get the X/Y/ORAS romhacking community going rather than people whom have to have homebrew.
Other obvious reasons.

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed and more emulators, oh and possibly a way to wirelessly control Nintendo's crushing grip on the souls of our children (downgrade).... Lmfao!!!

D

Deleted-236924

There is a way to workaround it.

Like change the version number on the .cia to fake it as being higher than the ones currently installed or something?
I hear it should be possible, given that the person who made the ds whitelist downgrade .cia changed the version number to maximum possible so it could be installed on sysnand and persist through system updates.
It was still working after they installed it to sysnand and updated to 9.4, so I don't think changing version number would break sig checks, would it? Otherwise it wouldn't have worked in sysnand even less once updated to 9.4

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I could care less about Piracy, if I like a game, I'm going to buy and support whom it was made by.

That said, I'd like to be able to dump my cartridges and have them on my SD instead of having to carry all of them around, I would also love to be able to install romhacks, as it is with HANS right now, I have to constantly use svdt to swap my Alpha Sapphire save between my real save and whatever romhack I'm playing, and that got old and tiring really fast.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mostly have a couple of reasons:

- To be able to access the eShop again. From what I'm hearing it's seeming pretty unlikely that people will find a way around this check Nintendo does that locks people out of the eShop now. I'm getting somewhat tempted to upgrade just to get eShop access back, but I'll probably just wait it out until Nintendo stops releasing firmware updates for the system and see where homebrew on the 3DS stands for the latest firmwares then.

- Having full access to even more RAM which would greatly benefit emulators and other homebrew. *hax 2.5 may offer a lot of nice things and offer more RAM then before, but we're still a bit limited at the moment. Having more RAM and full control over the system would greatly benefit not only emulators but other homebrew I believe that want to take advantage of the 3DS' hardware. Granted, it's unlikely we might see something that's really demanding on the 3DS, but it'd still be neat.

- Similar to what @DeathChaos25 said, I'd love to be able to dump my cartridges.

...And I guess that's really it. Basically I'd just like to have the eShop back and have more control over the junk I can install and what that junk can use. A man can dream, and I'm really hoping that somewhere down the line people do discover a decent working kernel exploit for 9.9 or below. Or better yet, 10.3 and below.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
The truth can never be hidden, I'd pirate the hell out of games for my n3ds blue 3ds xl and Pink 3ds xl all of 'em so my family can enjoy multiplayah games.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like change the version number on the .cia to fake it as being higher than the ones currently installed or something?
I hear it should be possible, given that the person who made the ds whitelist downgrade .cia changed the version number to maximum possible so it could be installed on sysnand and persist through system updates.
It was still working after they installed it to sysnand and updated to 9.4, so I don't think changing version number would break sig checks, would it? Otherwise it wouldn't have worked in sysnand even less once updated to 9.4

No, it would break the signature. But removing it first and installing an older version works.

D

Deleted-236924

No, it would break the signature. But removing it first and installing an older version works.
Then how did they achieve what was done in the video?
If they simply installed an older version of the ds whitelist, it would have been replaced with a newer one that has the DS flashcards blocked once they updated to 9.4, which was not the case.
The thread says they maxed out the version number on the .cia so it never replaces it when they do firmware updates, and everything still works even though there is no CFW to bypass a supposedly broken signature.

Unless the ds whitelist isn't affected by signature checks?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/

Last edited by ,

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then how did they achieve what was done in the video?
If they simply installed an older version of the ds whitelist, it would have been replaced with a newer one that has the DS flashcards blocked once they updated to 9.4, which was not the case.
The thread says they maxed out the version number on the .cia so it never replaces it when they do firmware updates, and everything still works even though there is no CFW to bypass a supposedly broken signature.

Unless the ds whitelist isn't affected by signature checks?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/
Maybe that this CIA is special, I think that it only contains unsigned binary/text files, and the version should be in the title list. So, I don't think that it should be really checked at boot. It should be an older version of the DS whitelist. (If anyone can confirm or correct me, I would like to)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol here we go again.